Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How to combat the anti gun person ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by retiredgal, Jun 13, 2012.

1. retiredgal

retiredgal Post Falls, Idaho Active Member

2. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

Pretty good article it would appear. The one thing they didn't mention is that the group in number five may change if they experience a close up and personal event. But they probably won't without one.

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk 2

3. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

Histeria and fear is based solely on the unknown. All my liberal minded friends thinks i am a crazed doomsday prepper or looking for a confrontation so i can use firearms. Neither of which is true and I just happen to really like firearms. So i found the best way to "combat" anti gun sentiment is to use logic in my explanation or simply ignore them. You just can't win every argument and people tend to resist more when they can't rebute my logic.

retiredgal and (deleted member) like this.
  4. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I have found the best way to combat anti-gun people is with a simple club. It isn't like they have a gun with which to fight back.

sheepdip, Grunwald, accessbob and 5 others like this.
  5. PlayboyPenguin

Your friends aren't liberals then. If they were liberal they would keep an open mind to the possible factors that would cause one to prep for a bad day.

6. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

And then tell you that you don't need a gun because we have the police to protect us. and if it were not for guns we would not need protection from guns.:cool:

7. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

I once had a conversation with a liberal gun owner (yes there is such a thing) and this is what he said "Oregon gun laws are too liberal" is that a oxy moron ? i don't know.

this was in regards to the instant background checks he felt that there should be a longer waiting period among other things.

8. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

<------Yes, there are liberal gun owners, and waiting for the instant background check to be completed is a long enough wait for me.

9. eldbillbo

he felt it should take a week at least

10. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

and I always fall back on the fact the the word "liberal" has been turned on its head. If someone wants the government to control every aspect of their and everyone else's life, they are not liberal - they are some form of a statist. Their beliefs have no basis in personal liberty, which is where the term liberal came from.
    Myself, most of the time I just ignore anti-gun people as there is usually no convincing them otherwise; although there are those who own guns and the idea that those individuals are armed gives me the chills.

sheepdip and (deleted member) like this.
  11. bnz43

bnz43 eugene Active Member

first of all why are you talking with crazy people, just stay clear of those freaks they are very unstable and act on their feelings and not facts. They tend to be easily frightened and confused. Stay away from them for your safety.

12. PlayboyPenguin

Nope, a liberal minded person weighs facts with equal consideration and would easily recognize that police protection is not a true thing.

13. eldbillbo

But you have more sense than the average liberal.

14. billcoe

billcoe PDX Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

One of the most liberal people I'd ever met (Birkenstock wearing Portland State Philosophy professor Larry Bowlen) stunned a room full of liberal students when he declared full support for the 2nd amendment and citizen access to weapons and guns of all sorts. When the jaws were picked up and people could start to argue with him...the stunned question they all asked was: "Why?" (I'd just gotten out of the army and although I didn't own a gun then may have been the only 2nd amendment supporter in the room, and even I was sort of on the fence back then)

He simply said: "I trust all of you more than I trust politicians. Think about all the people you personally know, even look around this room. Ask yourself, do you trust the people you know: your friends, your neighbors, your fellow students and your loved ones more or less than you trust politicians. Who do you trust more? That's the question you need to answer for yourself. Think about it."

You could have heard a pin drop.

Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  15. PDXSparky

Then he should move to California where the gun laws are probably more to his liking rather than complain about the more liberal gun laws here in Oregon.

16. PDXSparky

Yep, I'm a liberal like Larry Bowlen, except for the Birkenstocks. I'd prefer Danners.

17. PlayboyPenguin

I am wearing Birks right now, but not because I am a stereotypical liberal. It is because I am a closet lesbian.

18. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I think technically that would make you a pre-op transexual

19. Thebastidge

Thebastidge 10411 NE Fourth Plain Blvd Vancouver WA 98662 Well-Known Member

It's worth engaging anti-gunners in debate, but more to educate the fence-sitters than to convert the committed on the other side. That's why it is super important to be polite during these debates, even with the craziest dingbats. Keep it civil, factual, and historically-based, and for every dingbat that fails to understand the logic or overcome their own fear and programming, you'll educate and convince an unknowable but significant number of bystanders. And even the dingbats will generally be forced to admit "you're ok, it's those <insert stereotypes here> others that I'm afraid of."

20. pogi

pogi Gresham, OR Active Member

I say let the antigunners get beat to within an inch of their lives waiting for the cops to show up. If that isn't education up close and personal, then I don't know what is.

Oh, a mentally ill neighbor is a good lesson as well.