JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These were criminals, and everyone knows that criminals do what they do, regardless of laws. The title of the thread is misleading in this way, as it seems to ask how many otherwise law abiding citizens ignore their states prohibitive carry laws and quietly go about their business while carrying a gun.

These people in the article are not those people.

Sorry there is not much room in the title. Basically I meant to ask How many of all folks that you may run into, Good, Bad and Ugly would you think are armed, even in places where otherwise law abiding citizens cannot be? I am sure that not every one on that party bus were criminals. Also, the only arrests were of the two men who shoved the clerk. California is not enforcing its own laws against criminals, but if a CHL holder from out of State went ahead and carried anyway they would throw the book has him.

I'd be interested to see some data on how many terrorist attackers and convicted armed street thugs commit their crimes with:
- Current concealed carry permits.
- New weapons with personally completed background checks.
- Used weapons with personally completed background checks.
- Honest answers in both.
- Weapons used in the state where they were acquired.
- Legit serial numbers.
- Proper barrel lengths.
- State legal magazine capacities.
- Tax stamps for NFA weps and accessories.
- Stolen guns.

Not to mention, how many such players have un-rescinded felony convictions that make it illegal to possess guns anyway?

So are cities like Chicago actually havens of compliant documented gun owners who just happen to go crazy every night? And additional new laws will magically make them all behave?

Point is, any number of laws (and a relentless slew of proposals for even more stringent new ones) will have ZERO deterrent effect on criminal oxygen bandits. If the data above could be somehow be extrapolated, it would be very telling to weigh against the shrill cry and constant political pressure to incrementally and ultimately disarm the vast majority of us who do manage to play by the rules.

Last Edited:
Since I know for a fact that I don't look like someone who would be carrying a gun (except for my hyper-vigilance that most normal people wouldn't notice), I doubt I would be able to guess how many people around me are carrying.

In all my years carrying a gun, I've only noticed less than a handful of people open-carrying and only "made" one person carrying what he might have thought was concealed.

Who's to say how many out there are carrying? I bet only 20% of CHL holders actually daily carry anyway.

Do you mean that in the same way that the famous gun safety rule says "All guns are always loaded"? I mean, obviously, not all people are carrying. Not even close, especially in our area. And I have experienced a lot of unloaded guns...

Perhaps it is safer to behave as though everyone is carrying. If everyone did this we'd have a lot kinder and more respectful nation. There'd also be a lot of committed progressives passing out with the vapers...

How many unlicensed firearm carriers are there in places where you think that there would not be any? For example in California? In bars in California? Let's take a sample of say 80 young adults on a party bus crawling bars in Huntington Beach California. How many guns would you expect to find on board?

Party bus riders storm, loot 7-Eleven in Huntington Beach

Yikes Huntington Beach has criminals?... I thought that was done when I sold my house there. :rolleyes:

I'm a people watcher. During the holiday shopping rush, I stopped for a snack at the food court in a mall. I paid attention to where I was sitting, ingress and egress points, stairs and escalators, people who look like me, people who don't, and general crowd behavior.

Can't say I could 100% make anyone carrying, but I saw a few sorta lopsided winter coats and flannels. Like me, those guys seemed relaxed, but taking in their surroundings. Not hyper-alert or edgy or anything, just aware. I'd bet a dollar apiece (but no more) that they were probably packing. Family looking guys, and most likely legal (that's just my logic - flawed or not).

Funny, I could've swapped outfits, hats and beards with any of them and looked no different than I did when I left the house. Easy to do in the winter.

Honestly, I could not positively profile any of the women I looked over for the same possible indicators. Many had purses.

I was alone and not engaged in conversation, so I had time to sort of analyze my observations. Entertaining for 10-15 minutes.

Paranoid? Not at all. Wanting a fighting chance to survive and enjoy Christmas with my family if some nut-job slips a cog? You bet!

Last Edited:
Sorry there is not much room in the title. Basically I meant to ask How many of all folks that you may run into, Good, Bad and Ugly would you think are armed, even in places where otherwise law abiding citizens cannot be? I am sure that not every one on that party bus were criminals. Also, the only arrests were of the two men who shoved the clerk. California is not enforcing its own laws against criminals, but if a CHL holder from out of State went ahead and carried anyway they would throw the book has him.

WAYYYY to damn many dobads. This is why when I lived in a state that did not have CC I did it anyway. I figured my chances of needing the gun FAR outweighed my chance of getting in trouble for having it.

Can't say I could 100% make anyone carrying, but I saw a few sorta lopsided winter coats and flannels. Like me, those guys seemed relaxed, but taking in their surroundings. Not hyper-alert or edgy or anything, just aware. I'd bet a dollar apiece (but no more) that they were probably packing. Family looking guys, and most likely legal (that's just my logic - flawed or not).

Paranoid? Not at all. Wanting a fighting chance to survive and enjoy Christmas with my family if some nut-job slips a cog? You bet!

I tend to do this in public too. Entertaining to pass time this way.

Yeah, I carry all the time. And I tend to watch my surroundings. My wife can be chatting away and I'm looking around. She has accused me before of looking for bad guys. LOL. I don't know, I just tend to assess and people watch.

And yes, I'm licensed.

The other day, another officer asked for extra officers to be on scene to contact a guy because his past convictions lead the officer to believe there was a great possibility he was armed. Kinda made me laugh a bit. Bad guys, with guns and other weapons? Nah.

And all legally purchased I'm sure! :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads