JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I traded off a fairly recognizable pistol recently, within 3 days it had gone through 3 other peoples hands, the guy I got it from said he was the second owner but that was even questionable.
Another time I sold a pistol to a complete stranger(with BOS) and 3 years later a friend of mine across the state trades into the same pistol. For practically nothing, it had gone through over 5 different people.
After a horrible trade transaction recently I am not doing anymore trades. And I don't like buying used, but I collect older stainless revolvers , good luck finding older no longer produced models that are new and not one million dollars.

I don't know where I was going with this but ever sold a firearm and seen it later ?
or just a crazy firearm story time! yeah!

I've owned firearms for 40 years in that time I have sold a few with the exception of maybe a Black Powder revolver sold at a Black powder Rendezvous I don't think I have ever seen a firearm I have sold again. Theres 4-5 I sure would like to see again. And be able to reacquire (though I am certain not at anywhere near what I got for them.

1943 Smith Corona O3-A3 in excellent original condition (sold to a dealer at a gun show to help pay a bill)
Ruger M77R in 22-250 with an early Ramline Synthetic stock and Tasco World Class 4-12X (Sold to a friend who lost it in a divorce)
Harold Plank custom made .50cal Hawkin style plains pistol with small Siler lock and trigger. (Another bill that had to be paid)
Remington model 572 BDL pump .22 (again a Bill)
Winchester model 67 single shot bolt action .22 (again a Bill)
Inland M1 carbine (sold it to my brother on the condition I could buy it back needed to raise funds to purchase a 1966 Chevelle project car.......He sold it a week later to one of the guys he worked with)

All come to mind.

When news broke of the murders at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin on August 5th, people of all faiths and backgrounds and the first responders who came to the scene to help were horrified by the ambush on men and women as they prepared for worship services. Leaders across the country quickly denounced the hate crime and the FBI immediately began investigating the attack as a possible case of domestic terrorism. But as easy as it was for all of us to be outraged by another senseless <broken link removed> and heartbroken by the congregation's stories, it was difficult to be surprised by how it took place again in a nation unwilling to curb guns designed just to kill lots of people in the hands of lawless people. Would this have happened without a semi-automatic gun and high-capacity clips of bullets?

So if you Chinese commie pricks banned all knives, would mass knife attacks in your schools and against remote regional police stations be possible?

Ask me if I care!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

my 9mm pistol has been thru 1 hand....the left hand of the previous owner, well atleast the bullet has!

I have one of those guns that have drawn human blood, idiot shot his hand by accident and traded me the pistol for a $100 tattoo

previous owner count on the forum is about the same as shots through the tube. after the first 1or 2 the counter gets broke then you end up with :bsflag:

Guns only fall into two categories.

1) Brand new, never fired outside the factory
2) Used

#1 is self-explanatory.

There are varying degrees of #2, but in general, I don't really care what the advertised number of owners or rounds is. It's a silly formality that can't be proven or dis-proven. A gun can have 5 owners and 2000 rounds through it, and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference side-by-side next to a gun that has 1 owner and 300 rounds through it. All you can really do is field strip it, inspect the internals, do a cursory function check, and call it a day.

I bought a used Sig at a dealer once. It was a CPO that was probably an old PD duty gun from the 80s. The nice thing is that dealers don't bother trying to give you some story about how many owners or rounds the gun has had, and I didn't really care to know it either. It probably had many thousands of rounds through it from decades of being tossed around some PD, but it had been refinished by Sig to almost new condition. Probably one of the finest guns I ever had.

Hmm wonder if its prudent to have such discussion, kinda falls in the anti-favor to see many in a gun forum not know where there traded guns are. Of course we wouldnot know, but that would not stop them using such discussions to say Look all thoses gun owners just handing them to any tom dick or harry we need registration will be their rant!

Not asking for a run-down of everyones sells procedures, that's their own business.

Most of my guns have been purchased new. I also have my grandpa's hunting rifle.

Other than that, the only used guns I have were either won in a rafle, or picked up at a gun buy-back, so I have no idea how many hands they were in before I got them. Great condition though, especially for what I paid. :banana:

Who knows. I've been in many "reputable" gunshops and upon looking at various "new" handguns, they had obviously been fired many, many times and left filthy.. by the "boys" just testing or checking out the cool new gats on off hours or just a used gun bought from someone else? Who knows. When I call them on it they just stare at me. I certainly didn't buy said guns.
Pretty disgusting practice.

I like trading and don't really have any care as to how many had it before. If I like it, I like it. If I don't, I don't trade for it. I have found trading to be a way to try different makes/models and find out what I truly like and don't like.

Hmm wonder if its prudent to have such discussion, kinda falls in the anti-favor to see many in a gun forum not know where there traded guns are. Of course we wouldnot know, but that would not stop them using such discussions to say Look all thoses gun owners just handing them to any tom dick or harry we need registration will be their rant!

On the flip side of that coin I have a former NYPD gun and I would be willing to bet the NYPD has no clue as to its current were-abouts. I have to admit I have a certain degree of curiosity about the service history of the gun. Based on the condition it was in when I bought it I'm guessing it was carried a lot but not fired a lot. The finish is pretty worn and the rubber grips were starting to deteriate but the bore was nice and shinny. After having it ultrasonicly cleaned, all new springs and sights installed I took it shooting. I'm not the best shot but in one range session I put 200 rounds into a fist sized grouping. As a result I think is safe to say the barrel hasn't been shot out.

As Americans we are not required to keep track of a firearm after it is sold or traded. If you sold a car and it was used in a DUI, would anyone try to blame you for it without laughing out loud? It's odd to me that the same doesn't apply to firearms. I had a lady at a yard sale south of Chiloquin tell me that they wouldn't sell reloading stuff because she couldn't deal with it "going to someone that would misuse it". So I purchase a large mallet and several very sharp knives and cleavers. For some reason, she had no concern as to whom I may stab or club. Hoplophobes are silly, ridiculous types that do not warrant concern over their irrational emotions. In the end they are scared of how little control they have over themselves and since they cannot trust themselves with a weapon, how can they trust you? What they need to remember is that their trust is not necessary for you or I to live our lives as we see fit. The same people that want gays to adopt babies don't want My Two Dads defending the child properly. Disgusting.

As far as round counts, I only use them on guns that I purchased new and can honestly answer. I never have nor will fake a count and to me, a lot of guns need a break in period. I would only worry about round counts in very high velocity rifle rounds that will greatly shorten the barrel life. I believe it to be simply a tangible thing that folks want to judge "service life" and at least present a place that they may deem that particular gun to be(ex: "My fill-in-the-blank has x amount of rounds through it. It should have at least x left before it takes a dive.").

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top