JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a new puppy on 11/4, after having to put down my old buddy in July. I'd sort of forgotten how much work a puppy is. It seems to me I had my last dog housebroken within a week or so, but the new doggo seems to be taking a bit longer. They are both Australian Shepherds and the breed is generally pretty quick on the uptake.

Anyone want to chime in with some recent experience and/or tips and tricks to speed up the process? I'm currently taking her out about every two hours or so, and stretching it to around every three at night. I give her a training treat every time she goes outside. I didn't have to use a crate last time, but I am with this one.

Have a friends dog or family dog you could borrow for a while?

I've always found it easier to have another dog that is already house broken train the pup.

Only right answer is "it depends"....praise them when they do the right thing, put pads down for them when they can't make it to the door. It'll work out.....:cool:

Edited to add - Look, I'm no dog trainer, but we have eight small dogs in the house (...yeah, I know....) and over the years of having and loving dogs we've learned a thing or two.

Dogs live for praise. It's way more beneficial than punishing or yelling at them. When they do good, pick 'em up and give them a hug, call them by name and tell them what a great dog they are. Give them every possible chance to do the right thing; going outside often is the right answer here. When they have an accident, clean it up and don't punish or yell at them. Biggest thing is being consistent. Do the same thing, every time. It'll all work out.

Last Edited:
I'm currently taking her out about every two hours or so, and stretching it to around every three at night. I give her a training treat every time she goes outside. I didn't have to use a crate last time, but I am with this one.

Every two hours all night sounds about right. That's what we went through with our pups. It was a while ago, but I think it lasted about 4-6 weeks until they were able to handle 6 or more hours at night without a break.

I never rewarded them with a treat afterwards, just pets, hugs and praise.

We also had older dogs at the time and that made no difference.

It's a long, sleep-deprived haul, but it's worth it in the end.

Also, I had a border collie mix a few years ago. She had to go out to pee every night at 3:30 a.m. all her life. It didn't matter if she went before going to bed. It didn't matter if she didn't drink before bed. She simply had the bladder the size of a thimble. Eventually I adapted to her. For 13 years I never slept all the way through the night and got used to it. I loved that dog.

Funny, I just went through this... he's 14 months now.
Don't be afraid to cut their water off. Take them out to pee before bed and then put them in a kennel to sleep with no water. They can have all the water they want during the day.
Having other dogs doesn't help. Every couple hours is pretty typical. It'll get longer as they get older and their bladder gets bigger.
Good luck! As much as I loved having a puppy around, I hated it just as much.

We treated all our dogs like babies...
Bathroom breaks when they wake up, after they eat, before naps & bed.
No water after 8pm.
4 dogs across 20 years - they all took about 3-4 weeks to potty train.

Good advice so far. I agree, no treats. They will want to go out just to get a treat even when they don't have to go.
No talking or playing or other interaction in the middle of the night. Praise them for going potty outside when they go and then back in the crate. Puppies are more work than babies. IMHO

Also, we did the one hour thing with both of our two when they were young.

1 hour in solitary with potty pads. After one hour was over take outside to go potty, also with pads, hang out for 5-10 minutes if possible. Then 1 hour of people time. Most pups will go about every hour if they can I found.

I also, till this day, reward them for going to the bathroom outside, when it starts raining our Jack Russel hates pooping outside for some reason. He will if he knows he's getting a treat afterwards.

Hang a bell on the back door knob at a level they can nose. Every time you take them outside nudge the bell. They will soon equate that with needing to go out. Put newspaper down at the back door and when they pee on it take it out in the yard (not in the grass) and weight it down with rocks or bark. Then take the puppy to that spot every time. They will smell themselves and return to that spot. This works. Done it 3 times now.

Also, we did the one hour thing with both of our two when they were young.

1 hour in solitary with potty pads. After one hour was over take outside to go potty, also with pads, hang out for 5-10 minutes if possible. Then 1 hour of people time. Most pups will go about every hour if they can I found.

I also, till this day, reward them for going to the bathroom outside, when it starts raining our Jack Russel hates pooping outside for some reason. He will if he knows he's getting a treat afterwards.

My friend did that with his toy yorkie (why anyone would buy a 4lb dog is beyond me) after a while that dog out smarted him, he would sit by the back door and whine to go outside, then he would go out and literally raise his leg and pretend to pee then want his treat. And boy he would get PO'd if he didn't get it. Lol

Now that crazy F-er, everytime he changes surfaces, carpet to wood or vis versa he turns around and walks backwards on it then turns back around and walks normal. Strangest dang thing

Potty training can take up to 6 months. It just kinda depends. But as puppies they obviously can't hold it as long so going out every couple hours at this point is about right.

Consider if you want to train the dog to go in one specific area which may have benefits down the road...like not having to hunt all over the yard for the little presents they leave. And it keeps the yard nicer. Because now is the time to do that and it's not that much harder than what you're already doing. You can mark out a small area, and take them there each time on a lead. They don't get access to the rest of the yard until they go. It also helps to associate a word or phrase to the act. Like "hurry up" or "get busy". When they hear this word/phrase later on they know what you want them to do which is helpful at times.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top