JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
begin to fail? I've thought of leaving my XD fully loaded in the house for long term security, but wonder how long the fully loaded mags can handle the load before they fail?
Past the time you will live.:cool:
This always causes some people to get butt hurt but. If a spring is made right keeping it compressed does nothing. It is the working them that wears them out. Now if it's defective it can and will fail no matter what. I have some mags that are older than I am that have been loaded that long. They work great.

Yeah what he said. I'll post a couple pics tomorrow of thoroughly used springs and compressed and new....mine are are from an XDM...BTW all my "used" springs function flawlessly.....haven't had to switch em out yet... Been about 4 years and umpteen thousand rounds....

Modern springs are not worn out by being left compressed they are worn out by being exercised (Compressed and decompressed) You will actually do less harm to your mags leaving them loaded then frequently loading and unloading them.

A friend had his grandfather's 1911 mags that had been locked away loaded in his foot locker he brought home from the military. He fired one mag full without a problem after they had been sitting over 50 years. The rest are still in that locker and I'd trust them now.

FYI: Metal under tension is actually no different than metal not under tension. It may not sound intuitive, but metal does not care if it's compressed or not. The condition you're referring to is called "Metal fatigue", but the good news is that you would have to load and unload your magazines every day for years until you came close to a spring failing. In short, metal fatigue only happens when a spring is constantly being compressed and decompressed.
Lastly, anyone who says you should unload your magazines after a day of shooting, is probably just jealous of what you're shooting ;-)

O, O, O! Something I can actually help with.

I own an XD9sc and a XD40. Both of which I've had mags loaded one in the chamber for almost 8 consecutive months. Sometimes out of curiosity I will unload the mag and give the bullets a press into the mag to test "bouncyness" all seems well!
Before they were sitting and I shot more often, my defensive load sat in the same mag for well over a year. I shot those rounds error free after that year or so and even some other ammo, and no problems.
I've noticed if you use Springfields manufactured magazines they are quite well made. If you disassemble it compared to a "third party" mag the spring even looks surprisingly of better quality than the "third party" mag.

It seems that the concensus is correct and these magazines are meant to keep ammo in them indefinitely.
Hope this helps!

th?&id=OIP.u1PuwKJAYwePWDLd_JDXigD6D6&w=203&h=203&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

Mine haven't. If they were going to they would have already.

I measured:
12 round 40's. Same magazine, same everything except one is for full size and one is extended for compact (has X-tension grip).

New gun spring: 5-11/16" long, kept unloaded. And gun was bought this fall I think?
Old gun, magazine is kept loaded: 5-11/16" long. 6 year old magazine?
Has rust at bottom where plate slides on its that old.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads