JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How do you shoot with an optic?

• One eye open

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Both eyes open

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • Doesn’t matter, it’s what you feel comfortable with

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • It doesn’t matter, because the one eyed man is king

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Depends on the optic...

Scope, one eye closed. The magnification throws me off if I'm trying both eyes open.

Red dot, both eyes open. Wider field of view and less tunnel vision.

Depends on the optic...

Scope, one eye closed. The magnification throws me off if I'm trying both eyes open.

Red dot, both eyes open. Wider field of view and less tunnel vision.

This but it also depends on the magnification of the scope, with a LPVO I still use both eyes on lower settings. I'd say 4X depending on quality of glass is still very doable

Most scopes only have around 4 inches of eye relief, and that makes a two eyes open situation difficult at best! For holo sights, dots and most other systems, a two eyes sight picture is the ideal! Moving targets, spotting additional threats, and observing your surroundings means keeping both eyes open!:)

So then what should a person buy? A scope or red dot? What about a holographic? If they have a limited budget.

I have more than one rifle but, I am just saying for the new purchaser. One that may be on a fixed budget.

I shoot with both eyes open with everything. I learned how to "turn an eye off" by having to insert contact lenses. That, and switch hitting in baseball.

Holographics and low powered scopes have their advantages and disadvantages. To me, scopes are more versatile, especially beyond 100 yards. Reactive shooting close up can be done by ooint and shoot, so I don't see them as a huge disadvantage unless you're in the 10 to 25 yard range. If you're clearing houses and such, a red dot is the way to go. No parallax or critical eye relief. Make your selection based on what you intend to do.

My 6920 has an aimpoint. My rifle has a 3-9x magnified optic. If I were to choose one rifle/carbine, I would probably go 1-4x or something similar. I don't worry about true 1x because anything close will be reactive point and shoot.

I run a magnified optic, specifically the Trijicon Accu-Power 1-4. It has almost perfect 0 magnification at pistol and room clearing distances, along with a lighted reticle. If the battery goes down, there's still an etched reticle to go with.

If you go with a magnified optic, make sure it has close as possible to 0 magnification at short distances, easier to use both eyes...but some do, and some don't.

I run anything from an Aimpoint to a 1-4 Vortex to a 1.5-6 Leupold to a 6-24 Vortex. The only one I close an eye on is the 6-24.

And if I'm having a realy bad day, I'll shoot both eyes closed.

I prefer a holo co witnessed to irons, or strait up irons for in close work, and an ACOG for most other fighting type work, then a shift to a more powerful optic for D.M.R. type work, mostly all done with the same weapon!

Since my eye's got old I have come to rely heavily on optics. As others have said when using Dots I have both open. If I use a scope 1 open. Since I found a quick mount I like I have taken to making myself practice without the optic each range trip also. Since I don't leave the Dot's on my home defense guns I make myself use the iron a little each time to stay as good as I can with them. Makes it fun to start with the iron and then slap on the dot. Groups sure shrink :)

Seems like - use the appropriate optic for the intended use.

I have had a Scout mounted scope with long eye relief on a hunting rifle and it was the most natural, straight bring up the rifle and your already pointing at what your looking at. It had a fixed 4x leupold on it and I kept both eyes opened when using it.

I run a magnified optic, specifically the Trijicon Accu-Power 1-4. It has almost perfect 0 magnification at pistol and room clearing distances, along with a lighted reticle. If the battery goes down, there's still an etched reticle to go with.

If you go with a magnified optic, make sure it has close as possible to 0 magnification at short distances, easier to use both eyes...but some do, and some don't.

Another advantage to scopes, the reticle exists when batteries die.

A few reasons for using both eyes, 1- Unless for some circumstances, we all have two eyes open for everything we do...shooting should follow suit as much as possible. 2 - Using two eyes keeps the field of view as it should if confronting a threat...open and wide. 3 - When engaging multiple targets, one should shift the eyes to the next target first, then bring the optic to the eyes...much faster target acquisition if both eyes are already open.

It's nothing more than a training issue. For those who drive a stick shift, recall how awkward it was that first few times. Now, we can shift gears while looking for street addresses etc without a thought about it.

There's no such thing as fine or gross motor skills when it comes to shooting...it's a highly trained or not trained enough skill problem.

both eyes open on any type of glass. for many of the same reasons as above reinforced in a 2 way live fire range. I find I don't have the eye strain after a day of shooting as I would with one eye closed

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews