JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just ran across the TSA's instagram page. The post pictures of things they confiscate including over 2000 firearms that where found on person or in a carry on bag.

Everybody knows you cant carry a firearm on a plane right? How do 50+ people a week lose a gun to the TSA?

Some of the other stuff they take is pretty comical. Some of it obviously poses no real threat, Some of it is actually a bit scary.

I am not a fan of the TSA, But I also dont recommend trying to "sneak" by a loaded sidearm on to a plane.

https://instagram.com/tsa/

I just ran across the TSA's instagram page. The post pictures of things they confiscate including over 2000 firearms that where found on person or in a carry on bag.

Everybody knows you cant carry a firearm on a plane right? How do 50+ people a week lose a gun to the TSA?

Some of the other stuff they take is pretty comical. Some of it obviously poses no real threat, Some of it is actually a bit scary.

I am not a fan of the TSA, But I also dont recommend trying to "sneak" by a loaded sidearm on to a plane.

I usually leave a gun in my car when I leave for the airport. I put it in my lunchbox under a bunch of garbage, for when I return home, I prefer to be armed. One time, we were flying out, I grabbed my lunchbox out of habit with the rest of my luggage. I locked my door and walked about 10' before I had realized my mistake.

Seriously.. I oat myself down before I even get in the car to head to the airport.

My thing is knives as well. Because I KNOW where my firearms are at all times, but Ive spaced and had knives in pockets, bags, clipped to a hat.. You name it..

But you're right, how on earth do folks "forget" that they have their sidearm on them?

I can give you one example of how that can happen. One that I can totally understand, but some on the Government payroll wouldn't.

I have a good friend who was helping out on a church mission delivering donated materials. He is a holder of an Oregon and a multi-state CHL and was carrying. While driving a large delivery truck with his Pastor from Oregon to an orphanage in Texas, he received a phone call from his wife. She had just discovered their 15 year old son who had just hung himself. You can probably figure out what happened next.

He was immediately incapacitated with grief about his son and not being unable to comfort his wife. His Pastor packed his clothes (including his jacket where he had a small carry pistol inside a zippered pocket) into a carry-on bag a drove straight to Dallas Fort Worth Airport. In zombie-like fashion, he made it to the metal detector where the un-avoidable happened. Despite an impassioned explanation and plea from his Pastor, he was arrested and placed in an airport detention facility. TSA refused to listen to any explanation and acted like the whole story was made up. They began threatening him with fines and imprisonment. This went on all evening and he missed the last plane to Portland that night. Not until he was transferred to the control of a real Dallas PD officer did anyone make the effort to contact the Police here to confirm the story. The Dallas PD released him to fly in the morning but advised him they couldn't intervene with his TSA problem. Apparently a TSA officer was acting totally ticked off that the PD had released him, even after he was told that the story had been confirmed. Yes, he did loose his gun and was heavily fined in favor of being prosecuted.

Personally I view this as a perfect example of what happens when the words "zero tolerance" are employed without any requirement of common sense to be factored into the situation by mid-level Government wonks..

Personally I view this as a perfect example of what happens when the words "zero tolerance" are employed without any requirement of common sense to be factored into the situation by mid-level Government wonks..

Whoa there! No need to promote the TSA to "mid-level" as we all know that they are bottom tier government employees.

Generally speaking though (the above post not withstanding) it's a case of HUBS (Head Up Butt Syndrome) o_O

If you are referring to the TSA, no argument there. (not to cast doubt on your daughter Stomper, hopefully she can bring some fresh air into that organization)

If you mean my friend in the story...still no argument. My point being is that a person might find himself in a situation that he can neither predict nor plan for in advance. He might as well have had a piano drop on his head, he was totally out of it... as was his wife who had just pulled her son down from a noose and had to spend the night thinking her husband was going to prison.

Well, I have way more understanding than you can imagine. My son also hung himself at 19. Yours is an excellent example of how you can unthinkingly do the unthinkable

Last Edited:
... Yes, he did loose his gun and was heavily fined in favor of being prosecuted.

The problem I see is the smooth talking individual, you know the type, butter won't melt in their mouth. These folks get off, while those that stumble just explaining where they live and work get jacked. A smooth talking ISIS suicide bomber gets past TSA and blows up a plane, then what will be your words ? I guess not everyone can have one persons 'Common sense'. Sometimes the rules need to be enforced with everyone, not just the few.

The problem I see is the smooth talking individual, you know the type, butter won't melt in their mouth. These folks get off, while those that stumble just explaining where they live and work get jacked. A smooth talking ISIS suicide bomber gets past TSA and blows up a plane, then what will be your words ? I guess not everyone can have one persons 'Common sense'. Sometimes the rules need to be enforced with everyone, not just the few.

Northern California ..................That explains it.

Similar situation possible -
You are driving in your state and come across a closed highway. The police direct you to go up another road
and with in a minute you are now in a state you had no intention of going to, and are carrying.
If OR is the destination, and since it doesn't recognize anyone elses permits, you can see how that could happen. As an Oregonian you might be directed into Washington, who have no reciprocity with OR.

Not too likely you would come to the attention of the police.
But do you really know their requirements? Off body ok, locked required, ammo separate, etc.

Back to airports, the one that gets me is Newark NJ. Because it is a part of the Port system, the New York City laws apply. If Your flight is diverted to Newark, you get your luggage spend the night, get on another plane in the morning - follow the same laws you did when you left home, declare your firearm. Airport employees help you and direct you to wait - as is expected at all airports - you are then arrested for violating NYC laws. Likely outcome, loss of FA and fine and promise to never return.

"Forget" is not "sneaking".

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top