JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not a whole lot of reloading going on these days...

Watching Hoarders and feeling motivated...

Love the threads on different boards and the net of people's reloading set up. Kinda would like to focus on a more specific aspect here.

Going through stuff and trying to organize everything. Keep coming up with the same question(s) - how to best organize all these different (sizes) of boxes of dies? Big red Hornady boxes, smaller green RCBS and everything in between.

Also have the different tool heads for Dillon 550 which are...

...awkward.

How do you all store this stuff?

Any other pointers for storage and keeping of your reloading gear?

I just keep them in boxes in a closet in the house. Wipe them down with light oil when done. Now and then check to make sure all looks good and wipe down again when not used in a long time. As long as you are not storing them in someplace that's not heated they are safe. If you wanted to keep them in a shed or garage that's not heated sealed up with some descant would keep them safe.

I keep them and a lot of other reloading stuff in clear stackable bins.

I like that idea.

Recently set up a bunch of inline fabrication stuff, including his die holders. Pretty nifty stuff, even holds the powder drop die, powder bin/assembly and all.

So currently using the die holders for more in use stuff. Still have a bunch in the oddball boxes though. Clear bins would give me a better idea on where schnitzel is, and what schnitzel I already have.

I like that idea.

Recently set up a bunch of inline fabrication stuff, including his die holders. Pretty nifty stuff, even holds the powder drop die, powder bin/assembly and all.

So currently using the die holders for more in use stuff. Still have a bunch in the oddball boxes though. Clear bins would give me a better idea on where schnitzel is, and what schnitzel I already have.
I am going to be looking at some of those next time I am at Wally. Currently my way of "finding stuff" that I have not used for a while is to take boxes down one at a time, open, search, put back, repeat, cuss and swear a little, open another. Don't know why I never thought of just buying some clear ones so I could see what the hell is in there. :confused:

I am going to be looking at some of those next time I am at Wally. Currently my way of "finding stuff" that I have not used for a while is to take boxes down one at a time, open, search, put back, repeat, cuss and swear a little, open another. Don't know why I never thought of just buying some clear ones so I could see what the hell is in there. :confused:
Similar in my shop.
However I'm in the beginning stages of moving a lot of stuff into a storage shed (new container) and will have items like reloading tools organized in a better fashion. I have some of those clear, stackable plastic drawers and that's a good idea. Currently all of my dies are in a plastic milk crate stashed under the bench. Drag the crate out and start rummaging...

@Stomper once said my throne is made of lies.. not true, it's made of clear stackable bins.

Similar in my shop.
However I'm in the beginning stages of moving a lot of stuff into a storage shed (new container) and will have items like reloading tools organized in a better fashion. I have some of those clear, stackable plastic drawers and that's a good idea. Currently all of my dies are in a plastic milk crate stashed under the bench. Drag the crate out and start rummaging...
I keep some of my heavy casting stuff in heavy-duty milk crates.

I use the clear plastic shoe box size with a label on the end per caliber or task. For example I have a box labeled .270 win it has loading dies, a trim die, bullets, and once fired in my rifle only brass. I don't shoot my 270 much so as I do the brass gets put in the shoe box and then when I want to load some of that caliber every thing is in one place.

I use the Dr. Seuss method:

I store them here. I store them there. I store those buggers everywhere.

Okay, so I actually store them in the drawers of my reloading bench. There are many different sizes and styles of boxes, but the only one of those that really makes me wonder "whose big idea was this?" is the round plastic see-through container from Lee for my .480 Ruger. Gee, thanks Lee. (That sucker goes in the bottom drawer with other miscellaneous junk.) The other rectangular boxes at least meld together somewhat when stacked. I keep the ones used most often in the top drawer, the others in the middle drawer. Some of those in the middle drawer have never been used. Heck, some of them I don't even have a gun of that caliber. They are holdovers from when my dad would reload for friends, neighbors or relatives. Most of them, including Dad, have long since passed. I hang onto them because, well, you never know when a guy might pick up another gun in a different caliber.

Also have the different tool heads for Dillon 550 which are...

...awkward.
When I had a progressive press I took a piece of 1/8th flat bar 3 inches wide and turned three aluminum stubs that fit the hole in the center of the tool head and screwed it together. You can do the same with a piece of plank and some doweling. It held all three complete tool heads and I had a clear plastic bag to put over it to keep the dust off. All my dies now reside in their factory box stored in a drawer large enough to hold 22 sets of dies.

The dies stay in their original boxes and are stacked on top of each other on the shelf above my reloading bench. RCBS on top of RCBS, etc etc.

@Stomper once said my throne is made of lies.. not true, it's made of clear stackable bins.
Must have been when you said, "I've sent your check via Loo-mail."

No one should start reloading until they have built themselves a 20x40 shop. Then you gotta have only blue equipment. Yeah.

On clear bins, the airtight ones are great. BiMart has the best price around for them.
I put the dessicant pods ($1 at Dollar Tree) inside with my gear, smaller tubs for heavy stuff like bullets / dies, etc. Larger tubs for the lighter stuff like empty MTM ammo boxes. I have a medium tub full of 22LR ammo. Moving it around last night, I swear the thing weighs ~80 lbs.
Powder is stored in the black tubs with yellow tops - light blocking. Beer, wine and powder decompose with continued exposure to light.

The dies stay in their original boxes and are stacked on top of each other on the shelf above my reloading bench. RCBS on top of RCBS, etc etc.
years ago, I thought I had the bright idea to move all my dies into better, more efficient packaging. Nah. If you're not super OCD Orderly, it becomes a cluster-fubar over time. Now they are all back in their original boxes.

I use a Lee classic turret press so the dies stay in their own turret and sit in the round red die containers. All I have to do is change turrets to change calibers they stay set so no need to adjust unless I change to a different bullet or something. I just have them in a row at the back of the bench. Never had a rust issue and they stay dust free but now that the dies come in flat boxes I just buy extra round ones for new additions, along with additional turrets. I use a silver (black doesnt show well) permanent marker to label them for easy selection. They sell a metal storage shelf to mount to the wall but it would still need a cover anyway and they take up less room this way.

1619625519795.png

Last Edited:
Most all of my die boxes are empty, so I store them in bankers boxes. Then the boxes go up top on storage. I got tired of switching things out on the XL650, so I bought more toolheads. Make's life easier for me. It's still a work in progress and I need to attach the powder holders still. I'll post another picture when completed.

Jon

IMG-3868.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews