JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can tell you that its not hard to get them to qualify, but getting them to (I hate using this word) "Operate" with a gun is a different story. Its easier with athletes because they are used to making their bodies do what they want. Its also easier to get them to conceptualize shooting and even a gunfight like an athletic event. They have an easier time slowing things down.

I had a kid who had never shot, have a real hard time until I asked if he'd ever played sports. He said he played baseball and pitched. I asked him if he was able to tell when he let go if he'd thrown a strike. He said he could tell as the ball came off his fingers.....all the sudden he could shoot.

Its like watching a skilled waiter carry a tray of meals vs me trying not to spill a single cup of coffee walking across the living room. No matter our profession, we all have to learn to "operate" with our tools, not just use them.

Makes perfect sense, athletes are able to make split second decisions with more 'thought' because they have been doing it their whole life in sports. There's a strange thing that happens in the brain where time basically slows down and even though things are happening in real time, they seem slow motion. I encountered this most often when wrestling, but only after I got through the tunnel vision that took over my first several matches.

I could be wrong but here's my :s0159:
I think it's a generational thing. I think we have raised up kids, and I blame schools mostly, for making them too sensitive to fear.
We have counseling for everything now. We claim PTSD for every event that occurs in our lives and our young men don't have the intestinal fortitude to deal with things. We taken the testosterone out of our young men and want them to be more sensitive creatures instead of hunter/gatherers. I think our young LEO's respond out of fear to situations because they haven't been taught to be men. IMVHO

Anybody remember the incident where officers were in a homeowner's yard at night, approached the front door, saw the homeowner in the side window holding a gun, and shot him. The guy said "You shot me!"... Ouch. Where was that? What state? ... I'm pretty sure it wasn't Texas.

We've talked about this aspect before.... never ever call for a "welfare check" for your loved ones... it's not safe!!! Tho this apparently was called in by a neighbor and there was an open front door, the officers were there walking around in the dark. I guess that's normal? I have no idea what procedure is for a suspected burglar, but if you have a loved one, go check on them yourself!!!

I could be wrong but here's my :s0159:
I think it's a generational thing. I think we have raised up kids, and I blame schools mostly, for making them too sensitive to fear.
We have counseling for everything now. We claim PTSD for every event that occurs in our lives and our young men don't have the intestinal fortitude to deal with things. We taken the testosterone out of our young men and want them to be more sensitive creatures instead of hunter/gatherers. I think our young LEO's respond out of fear to situations because they haven't been taught to be men. IMVHO

That's a disheartening thought! So many depts are having a hard time getting people to apply to be a LEO, and the ones they do get are emotional cripples??? Not good!!

I can tell you that its not hard to get them to qualify, but getting them to (I hate using this word) "Operate" with a gun is a different story. Its easier with athletes because they are used to making their bodies do what they want. Its also easier to get them to conceptualize shooting and even a gunfight like an athletic event. They have an easier time slowing things down.

I had a kid who had never shot, have a real hard time until I asked if he'd ever played sports. He said he played baseball and pitched. I asked him if he was able to tell when he let go if he'd thrown a strike. He said he could tell as the ball came off his fingers.....all the sudden he could shoot.

Its like watching a skilled waiter carry a tray of meals vs me trying not to spill a single cup of coffee walking across the living room. No matter our profession, we all have to learn to "operate" with our tools, not just use them.
Never heard it put that way but that makes perfect sense.

Anybody remember the incident where officers were in a homeowner's yard at night, approached the front door, saw the homeowner in the side window holding a gun, and shot him. The guy said "You shot me!"... Ouch. Where was that? What state? ... I'm pretty sure it wasn't Texas.

We've talked about this aspect before.... never ever call for a "welfare check" for your loved ones... it's not safe!!! Tho this apparently was called in by a neighbor and there was an open front door, the officers were there walking around in the dark. I guess that's normal? I have no idea what procedure is for a suspected burglar, but if you have a loved one, go check on them yourself!!!

Greenville, South Carolina.

No where nearly "as bad", as this. IMO. That innocent homeowner had his handgun in his hand, and survived.

Also was an "automated" first responder request, cell phone or medical equipment.

B66B62C2-0FFB-4039-A82E-6EF68CC7CC46.jpeg

Two things really stand out to me here, 1) the Officer called out "Lemme see your hands" twice VERY QUICKLY, then fired in the space of time most of us would still be processing who and what was being ordered! 2) the instant MSM rant of a white cop shoots a unarmed black person! WTF does race of ether have to do with this?

I believe the Cop was totally in the wrong here, not giving enough warning, to rapid on the verbal commands, and not enough time for the person to comply!
Why did they not go to door first and state they are police, did neither. Sounds like poor to no training!

Why did they not go to door first and state they are police, did neither. Sounds like poor to no training!

We'd need to have a LEO tell us what standard procedure is... I'm not sure, but it's not the first time officers have checked out the location of a call prior to going to the door. Is that dept procedure? IDK

I was pretty disgusted by this... I tried the best to rationalize this, but was essentially unable to. At this point, it doesn't matter if it was a ND, he should have never been in that position.

We'd need to have a LEO tell us what standard procedure is... I'm not sure, but it's not the first time officers have checked out the location of a call prior to going to the door. Is that dept procedure? IDK

You can't train for every scenario or have a set procedures because you're always confronted with some new puzzle. Sometimes you gotta wing it. The call is from a concerned neighbor saying the door is ajar. More than one unit is there. It would be normal to fan out and cover the sides and rear while someone tries to make contact at the door.

I've knocked on doors and yelled and hollered, only to have the side or rear cover find the deaf homeowner out back digging in the dirt or having a cigarette. Sometimes you hear something and go take a peek. That's why shootings are judged on the totality of circumstances at the time of the shot, not what you learn afterward. You're going to have to make split second decisions that have dire consequences. Most officers won't be involved in a shooting and you'll never know how you'll react until you are put in the situation.

Stuff like this has caused some debate with coworkers on whether sim-munitions or other force-on-force training can actually leave training scars. It definitely has benefits, but you're going into scenario after scenario KNOWING you're gonna shoot someone at least every other scenario. That's not a reality for LE.

I feel bad for the officer.

In my line of work you have to be extremely careless to kill someone. Most often though, mistakes are as simple as a machine requiring repair or clerical errors on a production report.

Officers daily have to make split second decisions involving other humans lives or freedom.

We all make mistakes.

I noticed the time stamp; I've done crazy things at 2:00-ish in the morning. But fortunately not involving lethal force. (teehee)

As to appearing with a gun when officers arrive, I had a situation sort of like that a few months ago. I get home, mix a drink, and start farting around on NWFA. Our alarm system, evidently, malfunctioned and sent a panic signal, unbeknownst to me. About 45 minutes later, I hear two vehicles scream up, and two men's voices outside. I'm expecting the sounds of a woman and two small children, but not that, and in this remote, rural area what I heard sounds like trouble. Into a waistband a Walther is tucked and I step outside. I see two deputies move their hands to their pieces and say something like "Lets see those hands. Show me your hands!" I complied arms raised high. Then we got friendly, uncomfortably laughed, and figured out it was a technological glitch. They advised me to call the alarm company (which I did after they left) and they checked my ID to confirm I was, in fact, the homeowner, and not some jackass pretending to be said. We each thanked each other and parted ways.

No harm, no foul. It was computer glitch. Everyone went home safe. But for a split second there: :eek:

It was a basic welfare check.
There was no need for him to go in the back yard with out knocking on the door first.
And yelling into the house who they were.
Something like hello police.
Anybody here.
BAD SHOOT

It was a basic welfare check.
There was no need for him to go in the back yard with out knocking on the door first.
And yelling into the house who they were.
Something like hello police.
Anybody here.
BAD SHOOT

If you walk up on a house with the door open after a concerned neighbor called saying this isn't normal, you'd have people cover as many exits and choke points as you could. That, or get used to foot chases in the dark or letting people get away all the time.

If you walk up on a house with the door open after a concerned neighbor called saying this isn't normal, you'd have people cover as many exits and choke points as you could. That, or get used to foot chases in the dark or letting people get away all the time.
Yep where was his backup .
And why didn't he wait for some.
Wanna be cowboy .
Now there is a dead lady .
And he is going to jail for EVER.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR