JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It rained Thursday so I was messing around in the shop. I was checking my supplies and equipment for Elk season, and when loading speed loaders, I found this. I fired my rifle twice within a couple of minutes last season, and the only thing that could have melted this is a hot barrel. I have never noticed the barrel getting hot or I would have noticed it when reloading, particularly if I was at the range. It's a mystery to me.
1693667496880.png

Hmmm...never had that issue with just shooting powder , patch and ball....you know the way Daniel Boone and Kit Carson did it.
Just kidding you...:D

The only time I have seen plastic melted like that with a black powder firearm was with some old , reused many times...
Plastic shotgun shells .
Turns out you can only reuse 'em so long...till they turn into "red spahetti " in your shotgun chamber...:eek: :D

Weird no matter what.
Andy

It rained Thursday so I was messing around in the shop. I was checking my supplies and equipment for Elk season, and when loading speed loaders, I found this. I fired my rifle twice within a couple of minutes last season, and the only thing that could have melted this is a hot barrel. I have never noticed the barrel getting hot or I would have noticed it when reloading, particularly if I was at the range. It's a mystery to me.
View attachment 1480393
Hard to tell from the photo. Is it melted or smashed?

A wild guess:
Many years ago, RCBS offered free replacement of their powder hopper/ charger's green plastic reservoir.
The nitroglycerin, present in most pistol powder, ate into (corroded?) the green plastic reservoir, softening it, embedding it with powder kernels, and making it a mess.
I got a replacement from them, and it's been fine since.

But black powder doesn't contain nitroglycerin.
Were you using a sub?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top