JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It rained Thursday so I was messing around in the shop. I was checking my supplies and equipment for Elk season, and when loading speed loaders, I found this. I fired my rifle twice within a couple of minutes last season, and the only thing that could have melted this is a hot barrel. I have never noticed the barrel getting hot or I would have noticed it when reloading, particularly if I was at the range. It's a mystery to me.
1693667496880.png

Hmmm...never had that issue with just shooting powder , patch and ball....you know the way Daniel Boone and Kit Carson did it.
Just kidding you...:D

The only time I have seen plastic melted like that with a black powder firearm was with some old , reused many times...
Plastic shotgun shells .
Turns out you can only reuse 'em so long...till they turn into "red spahetti " in your shotgun chamber...:eek: :D

Weird no matter what.
Andy

It rained Thursday so I was messing around in the shop. I was checking my supplies and equipment for Elk season, and when loading speed loaders, I found this. I fired my rifle twice within a couple of minutes last season, and the only thing that could have melted this is a hot barrel. I have never noticed the barrel getting hot or I would have noticed it when reloading, particularly if I was at the range. It's a mystery to me.
View attachment 1480393
Hard to tell from the photo. Is it melted or smashed?

A wild guess:
Many years ago, RCBS offered free replacement of their powder hopper/ charger's green plastic reservoir.
The nitroglycerin, present in most pistol powder, ate into (corroded?) the green plastic reservoir, softening it, embedding it with powder kernels, and making it a mess.
I got a replacement from them, and it's been fine since.

But black powder doesn't contain nitroglycerin.
Were you using a sub?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top