JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For a little more perspective Left to Right:
.22lr
.50 Cal
20MM (Standard round in Most US Air Force Cannons)
30MM

Attachments

• image_1.jpe
    image_1.jpe
    45.3 KB · Views: 196
Cool pics and info. But this thread is about the A-10 and it's guns. Not about the gattling gun in other planes. Thanx though.
Brother,I gotta say,you made reference in the Girls and guns thread about some posts that weren't exactly as YOU wanted.
You just ain't always gunna get everything you want on the webberrnetterr
So don't get excited about someone posting a little off topic,cause,inevitably,it will happen
Thanks

I got to looking at all the different 30mm ammo. Pretty interesting. The Germans apparently use some fancy caseless rounds in their recoilless auto cannons. Amazing stuff out there.

Wiki..

"..Depleted uranium is favored for the penetrator because it is self-sharpening and flammable.[31] On impact with a hard target, such as an armored vehicle, the nose of the rod fractures in such a way that it remains sharp. The impact and subsequent release of heat energy causes it to ignite.[31] When a DU penetrator reaches the interior of an armored vehicle it catches fire, often igniting ammunition and fuel, killing the crew and possibly causing the vehicle to explode. DU is used by the U.S. Army in 120 mm or 105 mm cannons employed on the M1 Abrams tank. The Russian military has used DU ammunition in tank main gun ammunition since the late 1970s, mostly for the 115 mm guns in the T-62 tank and the 125 mm guns in the T-64, T-72, T-80, and T-90 tanks."..

Did you know the A-10 was designed with input from Hans-Ulrich Rudel, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Ulrich_Rudel the legendary WW2 tank-buster, the "deadliest warrior in history" (according to Jeff Cooper) and most-decorated pilot in the Luftwaffe? Jeff Cooper's short story on Rudel "Kriegsoberst" is a mind-blowing read, but I can't find an on-line copy to link to, dammit.

In the 1970's, Fairchild-Republic's A-10 (called the A-X back then) project manager, while doing his homework, came across Rudel's exploits. Furthermore he found Rudel was still alive. He then flew Rudel from Germany to Fairchild-Republic's headquarters to chair a seminar for the A-X design team. The result speaks for itself.

It is no wonder the "Devil's Cross" (as the Soviets call it) is such a deadly platform. It contains a bit of the spirit of the greatest tank killer in military history.

As an aside - the USAF would LOVE to get rid of the A-10 and anything else with a "A-" designation in front of it. The junior birdmen have never been big on flying close air support ("hey, a guy could get hurt"), preferring to cruise along gloriously at Angels-20 in their fighters and strategic bombers.

The Army and Marine Corps, conversely have said, loudly and repeatedly "Hey give us the A-10 and its associated budget and we'll be glad to keep them flying". The zoomies then having heard "and its associated budget" recoiled in horror and have grudgingly kept the A-10 on. But are still looking for any opportunity to shoot down America's own best-ever Attack platform.

"Warriors hate soldiers. Soldiers hate warriors." from Once An Eagle by Anton Myrer

Last Edited:
Yeah but the OP is about the A-10 armed with a .50 w/deleted uranium ammo, which never existed, so I would not be getting so prissy;)
Dang,I wish I would have that to call him "prissy"
I would bet if you weren't in the fire ball that came from that cannon,the electricity in the air would be unbelievable
Crap would be floating,just before all hell broke loose.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top