JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Why and when did Federal think that using small pistol primers in 45acp was a good idea? Picked up a bag full of once shot 45acp ammo at the range recently. Thought I had scored! Most of them were Federal small primer brass. Didn't want to leave them littering the range. Brought them home, ran them through the vibrator and decapped them and placed them in a separate container. What the #^%@*@( do I do with them now? :confused:

Someone might want them to re-load or to recycle for the brass value.

ME.....I stick with large primers for my .45 ACP brass. That way I don't have an "accident" while running the progressive re-loading machine.

It might just be a case of some engineer looking to solve a non-existing problem w/ large primers in .45 ACP brass.

Aloha, Mark

Small primer has its place since it is where the most savings is. I use small primer stuff like the Federal and Blazer at indoor ranges that require new ammo and you have to leave the brass. Shot a couple hundred aluminum one day to see what they said and was "reminded" that no aluminum is allowed. Oh well, I tried.;)

Makes sense to use them for matches where I don't want to pick up the brass... bump the load a tenth or two to make up for the velocity you lose with a small primer; seems to be about 30 feet per second or so. ( I need to chrono this, so the ammo matches what I usually use.)

Why and when did Federal think that using small pistol primers in 45acp was a good idea? Picked up a bag full of once shot 45acp ammo at the range recently. Thought I had scored! Most of them were Federal small primer brass. Didn't want to leave them littering the range. Brought them home, ran them through the vibrator and decapped them and placed them in a separate container. What the #^%@*@( do I do with them now? :confused:

It's not just Federal, Blazer and Speer do a lot of SPP .45 ACP. If you just want to get rid of them, I'd be more than happy to cover shipping cost on all you have, maybe even throw in enough extra for a six pack or two :D. I use either pretty much interchangeably, yeah, it means an extra step sorting, but it also means I have options. Small pistol primers are hard to find lately, fortunately I have lots of large primers on hand, but who knows when that will go the other way. And BTW, I really don't see any significant difference in performance between the two primer sizes, I run the same load regardless of primer size.

Anyway, I'm serious, if you just want them out of your hair, I'll be happy to take them off your hands, I'm sure we can come up with something mutually agreeable. Later.

Dave

I have been told that the small pistol primers were the only way the manufacturers were producing "clean" priming technology. A lot of indoor ranges required the use of "clean" primers for use at indoor ranges (read EPA B.S.). That is how we ended up with 45 ACP small primer pocket brass.....

Shoots exactly the same in my experience. Kind of a pain with the extra sorting step from a reloading standpoint.

I have been told that the small pistol primers were the only way the manufacturers were producing "clean" priming technology. A lot of indoor ranges required the use of "clean" primers for use at indoor ranges (read EPA B.S.). That is how we ended up with 45 ACP small primer pocket brass.....

Shoots exactly the same in my experience. Kind of a pain with the extra sorting step from a reloading standpoint.

This is what I heard.

The funny thing? I started loading in Dec 2011 when I realized Wifey and I could go through $40.00 of ammo in an hour long range session. Having bought a Kimber 1911 in Feb 1911 .45 acp was my first round to load. I was totally surprised when I stumbled on range brass that wouldn't hold small pistol primers!

Slight tangent, but I saw a bit of science someone did, involving the lead-free "clean" primers. They were testing various powders, and photographing the fired cases. I've never seen a titegroup case that was that clean before, it was nicer than I usually get with accurate. My conclusion after reading that article and looking at all the pictures was that a lot of the "dirty" in fired brass is from the dirty primers. Seems to react differently with different powders, also, so there must be some chemistry going on. They tested the same loads back to back with various primers, to keep it an even playing field, also. Here's the link to the article: Pistol Primer test

Nice! Great information ya'll. Gotta get out from under my rock occasionally and peek around. Thanks for all of your input. I had a passing thought to reload these and use them when I cannot or do not want to chase my brass. Sounds like that might be a workable plan when/if I find enough to reload them.

It's not just Federal, Blazer and Speer do a lot of SPP .45 ACP. If you just want to get rid of them, I'd be more than happy to cover shipping cost on all you have, maybe even throw in enough extra for a six pack or two :D. I use either pretty much interchangeably, yeah, it means an extra step sorting, but it also means I have options. Small pistol primers are hard to find lately, fortunately I have lots of large primers on hand, but who knows when that will go the other way. And BTW, I really don't see any significant difference in performance between the two primer sizes, I run the same load regardless of primer size.

Anyway, I'm serious, if you just want them out of your hair, I'll be happy to take them off your hands, I'm sure we can come up with something mutually agreeable. Later.

Dave

PM sent.

So.... does 45ACP SPP brass have primer envy and just tires harder by not leaving a mess in the pocket?

C90AE6D2-8E98-4D4E-B467-9525C522C218.gif

I like them too, don't understand the hate. The only pain is in sorting, but I typically sort my brass anyhow. They load just as easily as large primer brass. The advantage is that if I run out of one primer size, I can always use another.

The bad thing about those, it's my understanding that they have a very short shelf life, like 5-7 years vs indefinite.

The bad thing about those, it's my understanding that they have a very short shelf life, like 5-7 years vs indefinite.

Not wanting to get any tinfoil hats popping off but I did read a study the Army did (I was in Logistics then) about 15 years ago. They were looking at lead free primers. Their testing indicated that the lead free primed ammo had a reliability shelf life of about 2 years. Of course it involved temperature, shock and humidity exposures that I doubt we would encounter at home. They then cancelled the project.
I thought that would be a great way to control guns - ammo that goes inert in a few years. So if I ever see "lead free primers" being the norm, I will be racking and stacking regular primers even more.

Not wanting to get any tinfoil hats popping off but I did read a study the Army did (I was in Logistics then) about 15 years ago. They were looking at lead free primers. Their testing indicated that the lead free primed ammo had a reliability shelf life of about 2 years. Of course it involved temperature, shock and humidity exposures that I doubt we would encounter at home. They then cancelled the project.
I thought that would be a great way to control guns - ammo that goes inert in a few years. So if I ever see "lead free primers" being the norm, I will be racking and stacking regular primers even more.
I think the Fiochi primers say 15 right on the box.
If I had lead level issues I'd consider them for indoor training but I'd have/want to keep them strictly segregated from the rest as I like my ammo to NOT have a shelf life.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top