JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
good vid,very informative my problem was finding the lanolin so i got the iso at safeway and put tube of lee sizing lube paste in it in a spray bottle.i cant remember the amount of alcohol but it works great.imade it up 2 years ago and still have a little less than half left.i put my cases in a baking pan and spray ,shake and let dry.works awesome!thanks for bringing that to us cheapskate shooters.

I was just thinking how I would love something I could make myself. Thanks for the video.

Found both 100% ISO and the oil on Amazon. Ordered both.

Thanks!

That's a good tip.
I've seen those stores, but I've never been in one.

I went in to the one next to my house and picked up one of the best 6pcks of beer I have had when Amex did the small biz Saturday thing (10$ back on any purchase over 10$) so I payed about 3$ For it.Other wise the only reason to go into one is that the women seem to be a bit more attractive than at the average grocery store and as I have one at home that has little to offer appeal for me.

Thread bump:

Since I have been reloading I have been using the Lee tube (wax style) case lube for individual cases and Hornady OneShot.. I finally expired after three years the OneShot that I had and ordered myself some goodies to may my own case lube. Sadly I had to go buy ANOTHER bottle of OneShot because the stuff I ordered was delayed and I had cases to resize.

Pure Lanolin from Amazon.com: ($6.99 each when I ordered two bottles with free prime shipping)
http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Liq...e=UTF8&qid=1451764727&sr=8-4&keywords=lanolin

Something that's interesting is this:
Capture.PNG
Imagine that..

I then purchased 92% alcohol from BiMart and a 16oz spray bottle from there as well.

The way I figure, I have 16oz of lube that has cost me $4-ish vs $10 for 5oz of OneShot.

Now granted the lanolin settles with the 7:1 ratio but like any case lube that's in a can or bottle, you give it a good shake anyway before using. I think I'm less than a 7:1 ratio on alcohol because I may only have like 1.5oz of lanolin in the 16oz bottle.

I have used this lube now three or four times on a series of 20-60 cases per round. It is smooth. Very smooth. I'm not getting expander ball sticking so far. My only complaint is the smell of the alcohol. ONLY complaint. I have one little bowl I use for case lubing so I make sure to align a few cases on end so when I spray I'm getting it into the mouths to lube the expander, just like I would do with OneShot. I also used to use the RCBS case lube pad but that got old when I was resizing a couple hundred cases. 15 at a time. Not my idea of fun. I then tried the Lyman reloading block for spraying with OneShot... nope. Waste of product as I was lubing the reloading block as well.

Two spritzes in the bowl, move cases around by shaking the bowl.. give it a few minutes and size away.

Not much settling showing.
Photo Jan 02, 12 07 45 PM.jpg

You can see some settling in this photo.
Photo Jan 02, 12 08 14 PM.jpg
Yes, that is a set of shotgun shell lights behind that my wife bought me (and hung mind you).

Anyway, so if all goes well, I should have the ability to make 4 refills on this jug. Assuming I don't overuse the lube I'm not sure how long this will last me... but I'm guessing it will be quite a while.

Photo Jan 02, 12 07 45 PM.jpg

Photo Jan 02, 12 08 14 PM.jpg

Capture.PNG

Last Edited:
I made a bottle of it 5 years ago, finally getting to the end of it. Still have >3/4 of the original lanolin bottle, now need a 90% IPA for the mix, and that will cost a whopping $4.
Like Dyjital says, be sure to shake it well before every use. The lanolin really stratifies and if you don't shake it, your first squeeze on the bottle is more like a splooge than a spray.

I spray a wash cloth or rag cloth generously, and then roll the cases in it before sizing. If i spray them directly, I get the dent in the shoulders from the vent hole plugging.

I use the lanolin and deprime/size first, then tumble (stainless pins).

Same idea..........different ingredients.
Alcohol from hardware / paint store in gallon can (way cheaper than "Heat")
Olive oil from grocery section.
Mix and spray..........try 3:1 (alcohol/oil) and find a 'fine' spray squirt jug and you are in business.
I call it salad dressing for brass.

Zombie Thread Revival!

When I first responded to this, I used my lanolin mix. This spring/summer (2017), on a lark, I started using coconut oil and alcohol.
99% isopropyl alcohol from Freds, LouAna Coconut oil from Winco. Total cost, ~$7.
I thought I was using the organic stuff, so to be "hip" with antifa. Guess not.
With what you see in the picture, I've done ~1K 223, 500 6.8 SPC, 300 7mm LRM, 200 338 Edge, & 200 7mm-08.
To make:
IF it's solid, warm a jar of coconut oil (~90°F), mix 3:1, coconut oil to alcohol. Too much alcohol is no prob, it just evaporates on hot days.
Over time, it separates out. I just stir it a little before every use. Stays a liquid down into the 50's, a paste below that. I haven't had it go solid on me yet.

When I take time to use it, I take +/- 1 teaspoon full, spread it on the craft felt shown in the picture, then rub it in.
Lay a dozen or two case on the felt, roll one revolution, then load. Don't add any more until I feel cases start to bind in the press. I've never "saturated" the felt.
Applies a very thin coating, doesn't gum up or stink like the lanolin, nor discolors the brass.
Wipes off very easily.
upload_2017-12-17_19-45-27.png

Zombie Thread Revival!

When I first responded to this, I used my lanolin mix. This spring/summer (2017), on a lark, I started using coconut oil and alcohol.
99% isopropyl alcohol from Freds, LouAna Coconut oil from Winco. Total cost, ~$7.
I thought I was using the organic stuff, so to be "hip" with antifa. Guess not.
With what you see in the picture, I've done ~1K 223, 500 6.8 SPC, 300 7mm LRM, 200 338 Edge, & 200 7mm-08.
To make:
IF it's solid, warm a jar of coconut oil (~90°F), mix 3:1, coconut oil to alcohol. Too much alcohol is no prob, it just evaporates on hot days.
Over time, it separates out. I just stir it a little before every use. Stays a liquid down into the 50's, a paste below that. I haven't had it go solid on me yet.

When I take time to use it, I take +/- 1 teaspoon full, spread it on the craft felt shown in the picture, then rub it in.
Lay a dozen or two case on the felt, roll one revolution, then load. Don't add any more until I feel cases start to bind in the press. I've never "saturated" the felt.
Applies a very thin coating, doesn't gum up or stink like the lanolin, nor discolors the brass.
Wipes off very easily.
View attachment 414264

Hmm coconut oil!

I bought some of the liquid lanolin exactly like what @Dyjital has posted pics of above.

Cut it with iso "Heet" gasoline additive-the red containers in the auto aisle or any auto shop. That heet is 99% alcohol at about $2 in stores or $2.20 if shipped amazon/12oz.

The liquid lanolin suspends nicely in the iso heet. Do have to give it a mix up once per session, that's about it.

Suspends ok in regular 91% isopropyl, but not as nicely as compared to in the "Heet".

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top