Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Homebrew case lube.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by KalamaMark, Jan 7, 2015.

1. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

This is my favorite stuff, so I thought I'd make a video and share it.

Dyjital and Gun Mechanic like this.
  2. FOWELKILLER

FOWELKILLER buckley ,wa Member

good vid,very informative my problem was finding the lanolin so i got the iso at safeway and put tube of lee sizing lube paste in it in a spray bottle.i cant remember the amount of alcohol but it works great.imade it up 2 years ago and still have a little less than half left.i put my cases in a baking pan and spray ,shake and let dry.works awesome!thanks for bringing that to us cheapskate shooters.

KalamaMark likes this.
  3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Health food stores like New Seasons carry lanolin.

4. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

That's a good tip.
    I've seen those stores, but I've never been in one.

5. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Mark, I just can't picture you browsing the vegan meatless tofu aisle in that store.

KalamaMark likes this.
  6. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I was just thinking how I would love something I could make myself. Thanks for the video.

Found both 100% ISO and the oil on Amazon. Ordered both.

Thanks!

KalamaMark likes this.
  7. Papercidal

Papercidal Vancouver ,Wa Active Member

I went in to the one next to my house and picked up one of the best 6pcks of beer I have had when Amex did the small biz Saturday thing (10$ back on any purchase over 10$) so I payed about 3$ For it.Other wise the only reason to go into one is that the women seem to be a bit more attractive than at the average grocery store and as I have one at home that has little to offer appeal for me.

8. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Thread bump:

Since I have been reloading I have been using the Lee tube (wax style) case lube for individual cases and Hornady OneShot.. I finally expired after three years the OneShot that I had and ordered myself some goodies to may my own case lube. Sadly I had to go buy ANOTHER bottle of OneShot because the stuff I ordered was delayed and I had cases to resize.

Pure Lanolin from Amazon.com: ($6.99 each when I ordered two bottles with free prime shipping)
    http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Liq...e=UTF8&qid=1451764727&sr=8-4&keywords=lanolin

Something that's interesting is this:
    Capture.PNG
    Imagine that..

I then purchased 92% alcohol from BiMart and a 16oz spray bottle from there as well.

The way I figure, I have 16oz of lube that has cost me $4-ish vs $10 for 5oz of OneShot.

Now granted the lanolin settles with the 7:1 ratio but like any case lube that's in a can or bottle, you give it a good shake anyway before using. I think I'm less than a 7:1 ratio on alcohol because I may only have like 1.5oz of lanolin in the 16oz bottle.

I have used this lube now three or four times on a series of 20-60 cases per round. It is smooth. Very smooth. I'm not getting expander ball sticking so far. My only complaint is the smell of the alcohol. ONLY complaint. I have one little bowl I use for case lubing so I make sure to align a few cases on end so when I spray I'm getting it into the mouths to lube the expander, just like I would do with OneShot. I also used to use the RCBS case lube pad but that got old when I was resizing a couple hundred cases. 15 at a time. Not my idea of fun. I then tried the Lyman reloading block for spraying with OneShot... nope. Waste of product as I was lubing the reloading block as well.

Two spritzes in the bowl, move cases around by shaking the bowl.. give it a few minutes and size away.

Not much settling showing.
    Photo Jan 02, 12 07 45 PM.jpg

You can see some settling in this photo.
    Photo Jan 02, 12 08 14 PM.jpg
    Yes, that is a set of shotgun shell lights behind that my wife bought me (and hung mind you).

Anyway, so if all goes well, I should have the ability to make 4 refills on this jug. Assuming I don't overuse the lube I'm not sure how long this will last me... but I'm guessing it will be quite a while.

Photo Jan 02, 12 07 45 PM.jpg

Photo Jan 02, 12 08 14 PM.jpg

Capture.PNG

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Sgt Nambu, Darkker and Certaindeaf like this.
  9. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I made a bottle of it 5 years ago, finally getting to the end of it. Still have >3/4 of the original lanolin bottle, now need a 90% IPA for the mix, and that will cost a whopping $4.
    Like Dyjital says, be sure to shake it well before every use. The lanolin really stratifies and if you don't shake it, your first squeeze on the bottle is more like a splooge than a spray.

I spray a wash cloth or rag cloth generously, and then roll the cases in it before sizing. If i spray them directly, I get the dent in the shoulders from the vent hole plugging.

I use the lanolin and deprime/size first, then tumble (stainless pins).

Dyjital likes this.
  10. Pyro

Pyro Yamhill New Member

Same idea..........different ingredients.
    Alcohol from hardware / paint store in gallon can (way cheaper than "Heat")
    Olive oil from grocery section.
    Mix and spray..........try 3:1 (alcohol/oil) and find a 'fine' spray squirt jug and you are in business.
    I call it salad dressing for brass.

Dyjital likes this.