JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was looking for a target stand that could hold 3 or 4 steel plates, assemble together in less than a minute, could fit in the back of a compact SUV, and had robust construction. Finding nothing that really thrilled me, I decided to build my own. I decided on 1 1/4" .095 steel tube, and a design that used 1/4" steel plates to hold the stand together. AR 500 Target Solutions 8" round, 1/2" thick steel target plates were used- I'm very happy with the quality of their products.
AR 500 Target solutions_002.jpg
002_layout.jpg
After cutting the plates, I fitted them to the tubes and drilled a hole to pass the main tube through both.
003_tie plate.jpg
004_tie plate.jpg
I had the steel tube cut at the supplier- good time saver. I was happy with how it turned out.
005_mock up 1.jpg 006_mock up 2 w plates.jpg
I didn't have the right tap for the 3/8-16 bolts used to hold the chain to the tube, so ended up using heli-coil inserts as a temporary fix. I'm welding 3/8" nuts on the main tube today to give a sturdier mount for the plates. But overall the stand did very well- we shot at it with both .223 and .308 calibers. The tube took a few hits, but overall wasn't really affected. It's a good idea to bring spare chain and bolts as well-lol.
007_prototype testing.jpg

Geno

I use this guy's stuff.
Products | Shooting Targets | Price Design and Engineering
Very similar to the OP's.
Uses 1" EMT which is light, cheap and has the required stiffness. (electrical conduit)
His hangers are the best solution that I've seen.

I like his angle and splay so I've designed a similar end frame that accepts a 2x4 on edge as the cross member.
Then take a 1x6 and 2 screws...now you have a "shelf" to place 2 liters (soda bottles) or bowling pins on.

Just say no to rebar.
(heavy and no stiffness)

I have about $100 in tube,plate and hardware, $85 in target plates- my design may not be as bulletproof as PDE's design, but for less than $200, I'd say it's a good start. I have some 1/2" rebar lying around my backyard, so I may try to fab up some plate hangers that will take a bullet hit better than chain.

Geno

I have about $100 in tube,plate and hardware, $85 in target plates- my design may not be as bulletproof as PDE's design, but for less than $200, I'd say it's a good start. I have some 1/2" rebar lying around my backyard, so I may try to fab up some plate hangers that will take a bullet hit better than chain.

Geno

Setup looks great Geno, nicely done & thanks for sharing!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top