JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a couple of SIGs (e.g., P226/Mk25 and P227 Tactical) and an FN Five Seven which don't fit in my Bianchi UM 84.

I like the UM84, a number of my other handguns fit in it okay - snug, but not too snug, and I have a shoulder harness for it that is ok. But the 226 and especially the 227 and Five Seven are too large.

I want something similar to the UM84 that will accept these pistols, that will work with a shoulder or chest harness, and keep them protected and secure (as in I can roll around, hang upside down, etc. while the pistol stays in the holster no matter what) - the pistol staying where it should is more important to me than quick draw. I am slow and I don't anticipate needing to outdraw someone, so having the handgun be secure and protected is much more important to me. I generally do not carry concealed and if I do it won't be those handguns - it will be something compact or sub-compact.

I was looking at the new Safariland military holsters with a secure strap.

Then there is the Diamond Guides Choice.

Other suggestions?

I am leaning towards the Guides choice as I like the chest position and the wider leather straps. Plus it seems like I could interchange the holsters and it would work with my 460V. But I don't have to have just one system that works with everything.

Well, the Safariland Pro-Fits will work with those guns but I don't know how easily adapted to shoulder or chest rigs they are.

I don't think most paddle or belt loop holsters will work for me. I prefer a shoulder or chest system for a number of reasons:

1) While my stomach and waist have expanded as I got older and less active, my waist is still such that anything on my beltline or heavy in my pants pockets pulls my pants down. I need a harness or suspenders to keep them up.

2) Accessibility in a vehicle or sitting is less than optimal.

3) Accessibility with a pack, especially a pack with a belt, is less than optimal - often almost impossible.

4) Wearing even a simple battle harness or something similar, makes such holsters inconvenient to impossible. Even with some shoulder systems harnesses interfere with the holster and vice versa. I have a system I am trying to put together that leaves my chest area free, has some small pack bags on my back and a hydration system.

I prefer a holster that has a thumb-break or similar type strap or even flap over the top of the handgun. I like the flap for my UM84, but it cannot be in place when attached to the shoulder harness. Flaps help hold the handgun in place and protect it from damage and dirt/etc.

um84h.jpg s-l640.jpg
m-12_dleg.jpg

Guides choice allows the addition of a strap or flap while staying in the same position

leather-chest-holster-guides-choice-leather-chest-holster-7_grande.jpg

There are adapters used to mount Safariland holsters to various rigs. My P226 holster can mount to molle, on my thigh rig, on a duty belt, or even onto a paddle. Its very versatile if you buy the hardware. I use the ALS system with a thumb actuated guard that covers the ALS, which is also thumb actuated.

Not sure about the P227, but I bought my holster for a railed P226 and the holster is also P220 capable. I bought it before the P227 came out.

Thats one thing I like with Safariland, they have a unified mounting architecture. Amy currently made holster will mount on any of their carry systems. I knew they had a host of belt attachments and thigh rig, was not sure on the shoulder rig. They seem to have almost all the bases covered.

I like the GLS lock on the pro fit line. A GLS with an SLS hood would be a nice combo. My thumbs seem a bit stubby for some of the thumb activated holsters. I used to like BladeTech's hood, but find the more I used it, the less I liked their release mechanism.

Another option for the OP, give Ted Blocker in Tigard a visit, see if they can get you fixed up with a universal fit holster in shoulder or chest style?

What do you want, an egg in your beer?

I have an injured shoulder that never healed correctly that requires therapy twice a month, along with an injured back and neck. Carrying anything that puts weight on my shoulders, a pack, a harness, etc., including a shoulder holster, can cause me pain after a while - so comfort is an issue.

Whats nice is that you just have to buy a new holster shell and you can swap out to carry any gun you want.

Sometimes.

I just bought a Safariland 6392RDS holster and they don't sell the damn thing as a stand alone holster. You MUST buy some type of mount with it. It's very frustrating.

If you build and tout a modular product, then every element in that system should be available as a stand alone item. Why do I need to buy yet another belt mount to get this holster when I already have a belt mount? I gave Safariland customer service an earful on this but to absolutely no avail. They were a broken record... "this is the way we sell this holster."

It's stuff like this that will make me shop a competitor if something else is available. But there just aren't a ton of options for retention holsters that also accommodate an RDS and Light like this holster does. So I now own duplicate belt mounts. :rolleyes:

I have a couple of SIGs (e.g., P226/Mk25 and P227 Tactical) and an FN Five Seven which don't fit in my Bianchi UM 84.
I hike with the Bianchi M12 military holster attached to my pack's waist belt; inside is a Glock G20SF.

Is the M12 different than the UM84? If yes, try the M12 (they are cheap and easy to find).

The G20 was a tight fit in the M12, but keeping it in the holster a few weeks stretched it a bit. I can't use the thumb-snap option very well, but the flap closes fine over the gun.

If the M12 and UM84 are the same holster with different names, you should be able to get the 84 to stretch.

The G20 is the same size as the G21 and the latter is a snug/tight fit in the UM84. I think I have a surplus M12 laying around somewhere, but I think it is the same size and similar to the UM84. The 226/227 and Five Seven especially, will not fit into the UM84. There is a UM84II out, but I would bet it isn't larger.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top