HK SP5L to SP5 Conversion

Reactions
There are HK SP5Ls for sale for $2500 right now from various vendors (use gundeals.com). Conversion to an SP5 is around $300 and retains the threading and tri-lug, so you can get an SP5 for under 3k if you're willing to put in the time. Unless you see a great deal, this is the best route to getting an SP5 for that price.

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Reactions: Fez
Reactions
Hmmmm.........how are they doing a conversion for only $300?

-E-
I've spoken to three HK gunsmiths, one of whom has been in the business since the 80s. All three quotes were around the $300 mark but the wait times varied from one week to four months. I imagine it's a fast job for them, and there's no welding involved. Here is a photo of an SP5L that has been chopped and threaded with tri-lug retained:

Screenshot_20220202-084204_Chrome.jpg

Only a few HK smiths in the country can do this job properly without removing the barrel, but they're not charging an arm and a leg (yet). Fun fact, the MP5 in Die Hard was an HK94 that the film's armorer cut down with a hack saw. I wouldn't recommend that technique for your SP5L!

Last Edited:

nehalemguy

Reactions
I've spoken to three HK gunsmiths, one of whom has been in the business since the 80s. All three quotes were around the $300 mark but the wait times varied from one week to four months. I imagine it's a fast job for them, and there's no welding involved. Here is a photo of an SP5L that has been chopped and threaded with tri-lug retained:

View attachment 1122174

Only a few HK smiths in the country can do this job properly without removing the barrel, but they're not charging an arm and a leg (yet). Fun fact, the MP5 in Die Hard was an HK94 that the film's armorer cut down with a hack saw. I wouldn't recommend that technique for your SP5L!
So are they shortening the barrel from the chamber end or the muzzke end?

I would think it would be the muzzle side, but how would they retain the tri-lug since it is actually part of the barrel?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

-E-

Reactions
So are they shortening the barrel from the chamber end or the muzzke end?

I would think it would be the muzzle side, but how would they retain the tri-lug since it is actually part of the barrel?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

-E-
Muzzle end. And I honestly have no clue how they re-use the tri lug. The above example was done by the smith I selected and it looks almost stock. Perhaps you could give him a call and ask, I'd give you his info via PM. Either way I've heard nothing but good things about these conversions if done by a reputable HK gunsmith and you'll save some cash.

Latest Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top