JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There are HK SP5Ls for sale for $2500 right now from various vendors (use gundeals.com). Conversion to an SP5 is around $300 and retains the threading and tri-lug, so you can get an SP5 for under 3k if you're willing to put in the time. Unless you see a great deal, this is the best route to getting an SP5 for that price.

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Hmmmm.........how are they doing a conversion for only $300?

-E-
I've spoken to three HK gunsmiths, one of whom has been in the business since the 80s. All three quotes were around the $300 mark but the wait times varied from one week to four months. I imagine it's a fast job for them, and there's no welding involved. Here is a photo of an SP5L that has been chopped and threaded with tri-lug retained:

Screenshot_20220202-084204_Chrome.jpg

Only a few HK smiths in the country can do this job properly without removing the barrel, but they're not charging an arm and a leg (yet). Fun fact, the MP5 in Die Hard was an HK94 that the film's armorer cut down with a hack saw. I wouldn't recommend that technique for your SP5L!

Last Edited:
I've spoken to three HK gunsmiths, one of whom has been in the business since the 80s. All three quotes were around the $300 mark but the wait times varied from one week to four months. I imagine it's a fast job for them, and there's no welding involved. Here is a photo of an SP5L that has been chopped and threaded with tri-lug retained:

View attachment 1122174

Only a few HK smiths in the country can do this job properly without removing the barrel, but they're not charging an arm and a leg (yet). Fun fact, the MP5 in Die Hard was an HK94 that the film's armorer cut down with a hack saw. I wouldn't recommend that technique for your SP5L!
So are they shortening the barrel from the chamber end or the muzzke end?

I would think it would be the muzzle side, but how would they retain the tri-lug since it is actually part of the barrel?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

-E-

So are they shortening the barrel from the chamber end or the muzzke end?

I would think it would be the muzzle side, but how would they retain the tri-lug since it is actually part of the barrel?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

-E-
Muzzle end. And I honestly have no clue how they re-use the tri lug. The above example was done by the smith I selected and it looks almost stock. Perhaps you could give him a call and ask, I'd give you his info via PM. Either way I've heard nothing but good things about these conversions if done by a reputable HK gunsmith and you'll save some cash.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top