JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I were to guess, I would say that sounds about like 450 rounds per min, rate of fire, based on my experience with real machine guns! That would certainly take down a drone with in the effective range!
With a manual trigger, max rate of fire is around 7 rounds per second, so 420 per minute. The guys I used to play with have been experimenting and re-designing for awhile now. Last I heard there was an Autococker variant that had an electronically controlled trigger (they put a 9v battery and circuit board in the grip). It can be set for standard semi-auto, 3 shot bursts, or full auto. In my experience, full auto is useless for paintball. Your opponent just waits for you to run out of balls and then shoots you.

Amazon.com : WGP Black Magic SF - Red/Black : Paintball Guns : Sports & Outdoors

As to ownership of airspace, there's this:

"The dividing line between the portion of the airspace in the public domain and the portion protected as an incident of land ownership against invasions by aircraft, is the line delineated by the Federal Aviation Administration as the minimum safe altitude of flight[ix].

The common law stance on the relative rights of the landowner and the aviator to the use of air space above the surface of the earth is that an unprivileged intrusion in the space above the surface of the earth, at whatever height above the surface, is a trespass[x].

An entry above the surface of the earth, in the air space in the possession of another, by a person who is traveling in an aircraft, is privileged if the flight is conducted[xi]:
  • for the purpose of travel through the air space or for any other legitimate purpose,
  • in a reasonable manner,
  • at such a height as not to interfere unreasonably with the possessor's enjoyment of the surface of the earth and the air space above it, and
  • in conformity with such regulations of state and federal aeronautical authorities as are in force in a particular state.
Flights over private land are not a taking, unless they are so low and so frequent as to be a direct and immediate interference with the enjoyment and use of the land[xii]. Thus, a temporary invasion of airspace by aircraft over land of another is privileged so long as it does not unreasonably interfere with persons or property on the land[xiii].

Flight by aircraft in the airspace above the land of another is a trespass, only if[xiv]:
  • entry into the immediate reaches of the airspace next to the land is involved, and
  • entry interferes substantially with the owner's actual use and enjoyment of his land."
Ownership of Airspace Over Property – Aviation

So it would appear that if a drone operator interferes with your enjoyment or use of your property by invading the airspace directly above it, that is trespassing and you may be entitled to compensation or an injunction against further trespass.

OK folks, with full realization that I'm probably stirring the pot, I'll weigh in as a gun owner, property owner, commercial pilot - and a commercial grade 'drone' owner and operator.

I understand and respect our privacy concerns. That said, we don't own- legally- the airspace above our property. If we did, we could charge rent on every airliner that went over,. Not reality.

So the real question is how high does our 'property' go? I'm no legal expert but I've seen data that suggests the line is bout 30-40 feet above ground or perhaps the top of any buildings.
So, if you are confronted by a drone within, say baseball bat range, it is probably in your personal area. If it goes over - or hovers- at treetop heights , say 50 feet, it is probably not going to be in your flavor if you 'interfere with operations in the National Airspace System' by, say, shooting it down. Right? Fair?- not for me to say. Just be cautious if you " interfere" aka damage one above your property.

I've got trees on my property that easily hit 90-100 feet. As those trees are my property, and no aircraft would fly below that level, I would consider that height a bit more reasonable above my property.

The issue here is people lingering over private property. Planes and helicopters don't hover over my property - no need for drones to do the same.

As for the airspace system, I'm a former private pilot - I thought for most rural/urban areas the absolute minimum operating altitude was somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-500' AGL. I'd be pretty concerned if a fixed-wing plane was flying over my house at 50-100' AGL :eek:

Rumors are, there is a big drone lost some where in the woods way out past my place, has a great big chunk missing out of it, and some how, no one has reported it missing, or bothered to go looking for it!:oops::oops::oops:

I can neither confirm nor deny that I may or may not find this story quite hilarious....

With a manual trigger, max rate of fire is around 7 rounds per second, so 420 per minute. The guys I used to play with have been experimenting and re-designing for awhile now. Last I heard there was an Autococker variant that had an electronically controlled trigger (they put a 9v battery and circuit board in the grip). It can be set for standard semi-auto, 3 shot bursts, or full auto. In my experience, full auto is useless for paintball. Your opponent just waits for you to run out of balls and then shoots you.

Amazon.com : WGP Black Magic SF - Red/Black : Paintball Guns : Sports & Outdoors

"The dividing line between the portion of the airspace in the public domain and the portion protected as an incident of land ownership against invasions by aircraft, is the line delineated by the Federal Aviation Administration as the minimum safe altitude of flight[ix].

The common law stance on the relative rights of the landowner and the aviator to the use of air space above the surface of the earth is that an unprivileged intrusion in the space above the surface of the earth, at whatever height above the surface, is a trespass[x].

An entry above the surface of the earth, in the air space in the possession of another, by a person who is traveling in an aircraft, is privileged if the flight is conducted[xi]:
  • for the purpose of travel through the air space or for any other legitimate purpose,
  • at such a height as not to interfere unreasonably with the possessor's enjoyment of the surface of the earth and the air space above it, and
  • in conformity with such regulations of state and federal aeronautical authorities as are in force in a particular state.
Flights over private land are not a taking, unless they are so low and so frequent as to be a direct and immediate interference with the enjoyment and use of the land[xii]. Thus, a temporary invasion of airspace by aircraft over land of another is privileged so long as it does not unreasonably interfere with persons or property on the land[xiii].

Flight by aircraft in the airspace above the land of another is a trespass, only if[xiv]:
  • entry into the immediate reaches of the airspace next to the land is involved, and
  • entry interferes substantially with the owner's actual use and enjoyment of his land."

So it would appear that if a drone operator interferes with your enjoyment or use of your property by invading the airspace directly above it, that is trespassing and you may be entitled to compensation or an injunction against further trespass.

Good info on the airspace issue - tagged for future reference!

your right the new paintball guns like mine have what they call a oled circuit board witch you have to buy after market where you can adjust rate of fire some can go up over 20 balls per second most fields have a limit paintball station where I play has a limit of 12 per second and a velocity limit also as for running out of ammo fat chance I can shoot mine and reload at the same time just dump in tubes through the top of the feeder witch is also electronic has to be to keep up with the rate of fire

Fly your plane 30 or 40 feet over a city street and take pictures of everything and see what the FAA HAS TO SAY ABOUT OPEN AIRSPACE

Your point is valid. From my FAR's ( Federal aviation Regulations) book:

§91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—

(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and

(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.

[Doc. No. 18334, 54 FR 34294, Aug. 18, 1989, as amended by Amdt. 91-311, 75 FR 5223, Feb. 1, 2010]

Note, however, that a helicopter (manned) is not subject to the 1000' or 500' minimums in para (b) or (c).

Unmanned 'drones' must -(with certain highly regulated exceptions) stay below 400' AGL ( above ground at the specific location)

The thing that makes this all 'interesting' is the fact that until a few years ago, the technology that makes the quad style semi-autonomous drones feasable (as opposed to traditional model aircraft that are controlled directly by the pilot) was not available on the civilian market.

The overall 'drone' situation is still evolving ad I expect that the final rules/laws are still coming..

Oh by the way I also have two drone 's me and my nephew fly them sometimes so I can't say I'm against them but we don't go looking into the windows of other people's houses or fly over there back yard BBQ LOL

I ran some experiments in Psychoacoustics in my younger days!

"Hey!" "You dim witted Mother...........can you .....in' hear this?" "Or are you deaf as well as stoopid?!?!" :cool:

You know, the first I've heard anything about drones (except military) in, I don't know, a year maybe was on this resurrected thread. I think that the last time was on this site. So, drones seem to lost some of their legs in pop culture! Not something I worry about! If we were talking SHTF I would be looking at them as offensive weapons, ala mortars! :D

I cant find a link right now but there is actually case law about this exact subject where a guy sues the airline industry years ago for the airspace over his house. If I recall, he lost... But an altitude was established thats much higher than one would guess I think either 200 or maybe 400 vertical feet above your property is legally your airspace.

Ill have to see if I can find that case later...

Found it...

So apparently the case went all the way to the Supreme Court. United States v. Causby

United States v. Causby - Wikipedia

The short answer is you do own the airspace above your property up to 365 vertical feet.

I'm still looking for info on what the MAX ceiling height the FAA has restricted drones to. Not certain if there is a difference between personal/recreational drones and commercial drones.

Found it...

So apparently the case went all the way to the Supreme Court. United States v. Causby

The short answer is you do own the airspace above your property up to 365 vertical feet.

I'm still looking for info on what the MAX ceiling height the FAA has restricted drones to. Not certain if there is a difference between personal/recreational drones and commercial drones.
If I'm not mistaken the FAA GOT OUT OF THE DRONE THING RECENTLY you don't have to register your drone any more but if you fly it next to a airport they will come after you

According to the link it looks like there are several case laws defining personal airspace and the actual height is somewhat flexible, not an exact height as I cited above...

So now while one may not legally shoot a drone down in the city limits one can take action like a drone net gun. Is there any liability the landowner has on keeping the drone or damaging it?

Found it...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
400 Feet AGL unless near a structure

Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 107)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top