JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Surrounded by tons of oak and maple canopy and the only visitors, other than customers, are deer, black bears and raccoons.
I'm a retired toolmaker that spent 16½ years as a tool maker and part time doing gun repair and then for the last 35 years full time gunsmithing.
I'm a contributing editor for "American Gunsmith" journal and have had 150+ articles published in that tome.

As a side line, my passion is getting the old Stevens Favorite rifles back to, or better than what they initially were.
You might appreciate this restoration then. It had been through a cabin fire and was junk.
RRBRestore-RtFullUpsm.jpg

When I hear the word Wisconsin I remember hot humid ruck marches, ditch swimming, and mosquitos at Fort McCoy. That and the fried mushrooms and frog legs at local bars.

Welcome to NWFA.

Thanks for the welcomes. Sometimes it is dang hard to tell the mosquitos from the humming birds, but the summers are cherished. As a kid, we did a bunch of bullfrog giggin' at night. Deep fried breaded frog legs still make my mouth water, but a cold bottle of Michelob Light along with 'em will relieve any dryness.

You might appreciate this restoration then. It had been through a cabin fire and was junk.
View attachment 657608
That's a beautiful old Remington. Good job on the restoration. Most all of the older single shot .22's that I do find have rotted barrels from shooting that old Lesmok ammunition, 50/50 blackpowder and smokeless, from cleaning neglect. Best fix is to reline the barrel.

That's a beautiful old Remington. Good job on the restoration. Most all of the older single shot .22's that I do find have rotted barrels from shooting that old Lesmok ammunition, 50/50 blackpowder and smokeless, from cleaning neglect. Best fix is to reline the barrel.
The metal work on this one was done by Jim Dubell of Colville, WA. Jim is no longer with us, but he was a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. The barrel was relined and chambered for .357 Mag, which allows it to also fire .38 spc, which is as close as we could get to the original .38 Long rimfire chambering in a modern cartridge. The work included re-heat treating the receiver and draw filing all metal surfaces.

The metal work on this one was done by Jim Dubell of Colville, WA. Jim is no longer with us, but he was a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. The barrel was relined and chambered for .357 Mag, which allows it to also fire .38 spc, which is as close as we could get to the original .38 Long rimfire chambering in a modern cartridge. The work included re-heat treating the receiver and draw filing all metal surfaces.

Several years ago, I was invited into the "American Custom Gunmakers Guild" 'cause of my attempts at stockmaking and some of the "scratches I do on the stocks so folks can hang onto them. :)

I used to work a lot on Mauser 98 actions and Winchester Model 70's:
3GmTTcgl.jpg
G1xcCxzl.jpg
JhfUmNIl.jpg
QyEprvkl.jpg

These days I'm mostly doing just grip panels for Ruger Mark pistols:

QuJllG2l.jpg

We is mostish friendly here, as my presence, from near Belgium, would indicate. As with any forum of strong-minded people, there will undoubtedly be family spats from time to time, but I've learned that it's mostly down to my limited experience of shooting stuff. Y'see, I didn't start until I was six, almost sixty-eight years ago, and clearly have much to learn.

So get yourself a mug of Joe, pull up a log, sit yourself down, and join in.

I deleted the issue where I was "naughty", and I do understand. I got sideways with a couple of different ( female ) moderators on two various firearms forums who seemed to work more off of emotion ( cramps ) rather then objectivity. Seems they had the idea that if there was some disagreement with any of the "one-gun" experts opinions, that that was considered to be "bickering".
I don't suffer BS when it comes to firearms safety very easily, so if trying to promote a method that I've learned from knowledge gained over 50+ years of working on Ruger Mark pistols is considered bickering, let me know. I still am learning about these pistols and I have extensive notes recorded for every dang issue that I've found over time that can befall these pistols. Still though. I like to read about others experience, solutions, and any issues they've had or are having.
I did do a "sticky" around 10 years ago as to how to make a Ruger Mark pistol magazines work smoother than goose poop through a screen, if that may be interesting for anyone?

Several years ago, I was invited into the "American Custom Gunmakers Guild" 'cause of my attempts at stockmaking and some of the "scratches I do on the stocks so folks can hang onto them. :)

I used to work a lot on Mauser 98 actions and Winchester Model 70's:
View attachment 657748
View attachment 657749
View attachment 657750
View attachment 657751

These days I'm mostly doing just grip panels for Ruger Mark pistols:

View attachment 657752
Beautiful work! Did you see the ACGG's "A Pair of 7's"? That was a pair of matching rifles worked on by Jim and others in the guild. One was a 7mm magnum and the other was 7x57.

There was also "The African", a big bore African game rifle that was an ACGG product. Jim did all of the metal work on that except the engraving. Over the course of the nearly 2 years it took to restore my rifle we spoke on the phone weekly and became good friends.

Last Edited:
Beautiful work! Did you see the ACGG's "A Pair of 7's"? That was a pair of matching rifles worked on by Jim and others in the guild. One was a 7mm magnum and the other was 7x57.

There was also "The African", a big bore African game rifle that was an ACGG product. Jim did all of the metal work on that except the engraving. Over the course of the nearly 2 years it took to restore my rifle we spoke on the phone weekly and became good friends.

Yes, I did. Those guys are beyond magnificent! There a member in northern Michigan, Bob Saap, who did some really neat stuff with single shot rifles like the Remington rolling blocks and Martini's.

Yes, I did. Those guys are beyond magnificent! There a member in northern Michigan, Bob Saap, who did some really neat stuff with single shot rifles like the Remington rolling blocks and Martini's.
I keep hoping to find a derelict #1 rolling block saddle ring carbine for restoration. Since Jim is gone I'm going to have to find a new restoration guy one of these days.

I deleted the issue where I was "naughty", and I do understand. I got sideways with a couple of different ( female ) moderators on two various firearms forums who seemed to work more off of emotion ( cramps ) rather then objectivity. Seems they had the idea that if there was some disagreement with any of the "one-gun" experts opinions, that that was considered to be "bickering".
I don't suffer BS when it comes to firearms safety very easily, so if trying to promote a method that I've learned from knowledge gained over 50+ years of working on Ruger Mark pistols is considered bickering, let me know. I still am learning about these pistols and I have extensive notes recorded for every dang issue that I've found over time that can befall these pistols. Still though. I like to read about others experience, solutions, and any issues they've had or are having.
I did do a "sticky" around 10 years ago as to how to make a Ruger Mark pistol magazines work smoother than goose poop through a screen, if that may be interesting for anyone?

Ummm....we have a female moderator here at NWFA. And your assumption of "cramps" in regards to females is short sighted and uncalled for.

Don't worry about that here, I tend to be very objective and mean what I say, no matter the time of month. :D

Don't worry about that here, I tend to be very objective and mean what I say, no matter the time of month. :D

Well, that's certainly GOOD to read. Too bad some feel the need to extend my comment to include ALL female moderators, which was NOT the case. I only referred to the two I've had experience with. Some just seem to feel the need to add way more into a sentence than what was intended and actually written. :(

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top