JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm putting together a Howa 1500 Mini-action in 6.5 Grendel. My initial thought was to build it primarily as another target rifle, but with more reach than my .223 Savage. But the barreled action arrived yesterday, and now I'm thinking that even with my stock choice and the heavy barrel, this is going to be a very compact, fairly lightweight little rifle. Regardless, a big target scope is out of the question, it'll just look (and probably will be) totally unbalanced. Forgive the heresy, but I'm not a fan of Leupold scopes. I've used the Burris Timberline 4.5-14 in the past, I think the size and mag range would be just about perfect for a hunter/varminter, but might not be so good for longer range target shooting. Anyone have any suggestions for something similar in size and price? And yes, I realize I need to make up my mind about whether it's going to be a hunter or a target rifle, I'm working on it :oops:. Later.

Dave

Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP 4-16x44
About $350.

Gets you range, FFP reticle, smaller than a 50mm objective but a little larger than a 40mm so not too much in the way.

Ok for hunting or target.

Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP 4-16x44
About $350.

Gets you range, FFP reticle, smaller than a 50mm objective but a little larger than a 40mm so not too much in the way.

Ok for hunting or target.

Thank you, I'm sure that's a great choice, but I don't like FFP scopes, either :rolleyes:. Old dog, new tricks, I guess, but having the reticle change size messes with my head. Later.

Dave

Thank you, I'm sure that's a great choice, but I don't like FFP scopes, either :rolleyes:. Old dog, new tricks, I guess, but having the reticle change size messes with my head. Later.

Dave
Ah yes. But it's easier because distances in the reticle stay the same!

There also are a couple cheaper non-FFP options like that too.

The SS is on my list, but in a higher magnification. I've done a couple of 10X scopes over the years, once I get past a couple hundred yards or so, I need more mag. And yes, I know professional snipers used 10x for years, but I'm NOT a professional sniper :(.

Most of the suggestions have been good ones, but they're either really expensive, and/or on the large side. I'll get a better feel for what's appropriate once I get it to the range, hopefully this week. I've got a 4-12 I can rob off my Savage for testing, but I'm pretty sure it's just going to look wrong on what I expect to be a pretty compact little rifle. Will post more once I've had a chance to shoot it, and yes, I'll remember pics. Later.

Dave

Variable power, more lenses to look through, need better quality glass to get same results as fixed. There are more moving parts, front focal vs rear focal both are compromises, in my opinion. Super sniper checked all the boxes for me. At first, I wouldn't have thought of buying a $300 scope, total garbage I thought. I watched "sniper 101" series by TiborasaurusRex on YouTube. Very good series. Great section on scopes and how to determine what scope criteria is right for you. Good luck!

I recently re-scoped my S&W (Howa) 1500. I took off a Vortex Viper PST 6-20x50 and installed a Viper 6.5-20x44. I could not get the 50mm to clear the barrel with low mounts and was forced to use taller mounts, which gave me a cheek weld/sight picture that was not very good. The 44mm with a two piece base (Redfield, I think) let me use low mounts. Note the ~1/16" clearance between the objective lens and the barrel. I have Vortex on nearly everything now.

I also found improved accuracy with the pillar bedded Hogue stock with a full aluminum backbone. Now all I need to do is get my eyes fixed. :)
viper - 2.jpg viper - 4.jpg viper - 1.jpg viper - 3.jpg

Well, so much for light and compact o_O. After much backing and forthing, second (and third!) guessing, and just plain waffling, I finally went with something completely off my radar. I've got a Sightron STAC 4-20x50 on the way, should arrive next week, I hope. It's pretty much everything I wasn't looking for, 30 mm tube, long, fairly heavy, and fairly high mag. But I finally asked myself, "what's my primary intended use?", the answer was long(er) range target shooting, likely mostly from a bench and for groups, so that pretty much blew small and compact right out of the water. Still haven't made it to the range with this rifle, but this scope is pretty much the last piece of the puzzle, so once the scope shows up, I won't have any more excuses. More later.

Dave

So I'm putting together a Howa 1500 Mini-action in 6.5 Grendel. My initial thought was to build it primarily as another target rifle, but with more reach than my .223 Savage. But the barreled action arrived yesterday, and now I'm thinking that even with my stock choice and the heavy barrel, this is going to be a very compact, fairly lightweight little rifle. Regardless, a big target scope is out of the question, it'll just look (and probably will be) totally unbalanced. Forgive the heresy, but I'm not a fan of Leupold scopes. I've used the Burris Timberline 4.5-14 in the past, I think the size and mag range would be just about perfect for a hunter/varminter, but might not be so good for longer range target shooting. Anyone have any suggestions for something similar in size and price? And yes, I realize I need to make up my mind about whether it's going to be a hunter or a target rifle, I'm working on it :oops:. Later.

Dave
If your looking for some range and affordability look at the crimson trace line of optics, you have to take into consideration what focal plan, and how far you want to reach out. I've used many different optics but for budget builds I love the crimson traces. Hope this helps!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top