JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

This will be my first bedding project, and I could really use some advice.

I have a k31 barreled action that I am going to put into a Bluegrass stock. The stock already has pillars, but I believe it needs to be bedded. I only have pics of original stock to refer to now.

The recoil lug on a K31 is at point "B," and the only parts of the receiver that should make contact with the stock are "A," "B," and "C."

Area "B" in my Bluegrass stock is radiused and does not interface with the squared recoil lug, so I'm assuming that this area needs to be bedded. I would also bed area "C" as the pillar is about 1/16" above the wood in that channel.

Area "A" is a bedding lug. As it is now, there is only contact between the bottom of the steel lug and the pillar. There is no contact with the sides, front, or back of the lug and the stock. How should I bed this area? Should I bed all around it so there is no movement and basically turn it into a second recoil lug?

Thanks for your help,
Jason

1581274036240.png
1581274061417.png

Area "A" is a bedding lug. As it is now, there is only contact between the bottom of the steel lug and the pillar. There is no contact with the sides, front, or back of the lug and the stock. How should I bed this area? Should I bed all around it so there is no movement and basically turn it into a second recoil lug?

Keep posting on your progress, this is a totally interesting project.

I'm not going to offer advice because I'm a total amateur on this topic having only bedded one rifle. But one thing that may bear thinking about with respect to the quoted part above, is that some stocks come with a sort of aluminum bed that starts near the front of the receiver, goes around the mag well, and ends behind the receiver. It is supposed to work like glass bedding a rifle (and if the marketing is correct, better). Anyway, such an aluminum bed would make all the attachment points some sort of recoil lugs. There's a low res picture in this article:

You will want to fully bed around the Front Lug, top, bottom, sides, front and back! Also want to bed at the rear action screw and tang, as well as both of the wings to the left and right of area "B", basically anywhere the action contacts the stock should be bedded nice and tight!

There are several ways to do this, I use "Steel Epoxy" like J-B Weld to mould those areas with the action tightened down in the stock until cured! It's then easy to trim the extra off once it's fully cured! :cool:

My friend Leon over on gunboards.com has already offered you good advice, based on his experience. Not having ANY experience of re-stocking my one and only K31, I can't help you at all.
Hi Tac,
Leon has always given me good advice and help. I've read a bit of your older posts too. He doesn't think it needs to be bedded, but I just can't help trying to improve it.
Thanks for replying,
Jason

You will want to fully bed around the Front Lug, top, bottom, sides, front and back! Also want to bed at the rear action screw and tang, as well as both of the wings to the left and right of area "B", basically anywhere the action contacts the stock should be bedded nice and tight!

There are several ways to do this, I use "Steel Epoxy" like J-B Weld to mould those areas with the action tightened down in the stock until cured! It's then easy to trim the extra off once it's fully cured! :cool:
Ura-Ki,

Would you tape any part of the front lug to allow for any extra space?

Thanks,
Jason

Ura-Ki,

Would you tape any part of the front lug to allow for any extra space?

Thanks,
Jason
What I always do is wax all the metal parts with Turtle Wax car polishing wax, spending the time to fully coat everything so nothing sticks to it!
I find this is the tightest I can get it, and makes for a very nice and clean fitting setup!

In that case, you WILL need to fit the muzzle brake, or barrel harmoniser. Both, as you know, from Latigo in Kalispell.
I've been thinking about that. Leon suggested the same thing too. Ideally, I'd like to thread the barrel rather than use the clamp on version.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top