JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys,
I am new to AR's and I am thinking about putting together a parts bin incase I need to do some basic repairs. I would like to be prepared and have parts on hand instead of having to hunt something down and then wait for it when I need something? I am considering buying a extra lower parts kit, is there any other parts I should accumilate in case of a breakage of some kind? Would it be a good idea to have a whole new extra BCG? And what tools should I pick up. I was thinking about buying a Leatherman MUT to go with my AR, anyone use one in the field? I have been looking for a set of punches and the only decent set I have found is at Sportsmans Warehous for $40. Are there any other good sets out there in that price range? Any help would be greatly appricated thanks.

LPK
Pin kit
Spring kit
Extractor kit
Complete bolt
Even with all that I would keep a couple spare safety detents and springs.
While I do keep spare firing pins and retainers on hand the only retainer I have ever replaced was on a used gun and not sure what they guy before me did to it.

As for tools there is really nothing that you will be fixing in the field that you need a hand tool for. While the MUT is cool and I just want one I cant think of anything it would help me with in the field on an AR. If you really want to get serious an armorers wrench and vice blocks are great to have. I picked up a set of heavy duty punches at my local auto parts store.

I would just go with the complete bolt, and a LPK. replace parts as used. A small ball peen hammer or mallet, a few delrin or brass punches for tools, a G.I. combo tool, only because of its compact size.

My spare parts has turned in to spare rifles.

It's nice to have springs and detents, maybe an extractor. A spare bolt becomes a rifle real quick around here.

Tools.

punches-roll pin and regular, rawhide mallet, brass hammer, vise block, barrel nut tools, barrel vise, gi tool, torque wrench, trigger fixture and stones.

The Multitasker is a handy tool to have in the range bag. The one in the link is a couple years old and is the version I have. There are updated versions as well. In addition to the parts listed already, I would have a set of hammer/trigger pins. They don't fail all that often, but when they do, the fire control is compromised.

Neat tool but for $100 I can get a pretty decent full size set of AR tools including vice blocks........... The only thing that includes that can not be done with a bullet tip or knife is the stock wrench. To use the stock wrench properly you should use a block. If you are in a field situation where you need your stock tightened that bad there are other ways to do it but will not be as nice or easy.

The only thing that includes that can not be done with a bullet tip or knife is the stock wrench. To use the stock wrench properly you should use a block.
Most multi-tools are a jack of all trades, master of none, but still very handy to have when needed. When a proper stock wrench is called for, I like the HammerHead.
IMG_8333.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys I am going to work one getting some of the parts I need first thing.
Nwcid-What tools consist of a full set of AR tools and where can I get them for $100, I thought a vice block was in the $30 to $40 range. I will check out the Multitasker and the Hammerhead stock wrench.

Thanks for all the help guys I am going to work one getting some of the parts I need first thing.
Nwcid-What tools consist of a full set of AR tools and where can I get them for $100, I thought a vice block was in the $30 to $40 range. I will check out the Multitasker and the Hammerhead stock wrench.

Model 1 Sales: Armorers Action Block
Multi-Tool AR-15 Steel
3/8" Drive Click Stop Torque Wrench
I picked up a set of punches at my local auto parts store for about $25.

With those tools you can build/repair 99% of you AR assuming you have other basic tools around the house like hammers. The problem with the multi tools or mini combo tools is it is only a temporary fix and can damage parts so you would need to replace them later. When it comes to the field under military conditions when using an issued firearm that is one thing where they can be handy. As I stated before some things like fixing stock nuts and many of the other things that need to be tight you need some kind of block or you will damage your receiver(s).

I have a few other kinds of blocks and tools that are nice to have and make things like cleaning easier but are outside of the main tools.

I will check out the Multitasker and the Hammerhead stock wrench.
While the HammerHead is one of my favorite tools to remove the receiver extension nut (castle nut), it isn't something I would spend money on early in the game. Its not really a part that most folks will be removing on a regular basis. Mine gets a fair amount of use, so I can justify it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top