JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good morning,

So yesterday I picked up a slightly beat up Hungarian AMD-65 and I was wondering if you [more experienced] AK guys could answer a few questions I have. Even if you only can answer partially in any way that would be helpful regardless, just reference the number assigned to my question(s) and comment if you would be so kind. Even if someone else has answered the questions, I'd really like to hear everyone's feedback, I am building a list of websites for vendors, forums, and instructional-types - so the info would be really helpful to make a quick reference for myself to familiarize myself with the market and, of course, my AMD-65. I thank you all so much for reading this in advance - I absolutely love what the online community has done for us as firearm enthusiasts.
Here are my questions: :huh:

1) What parts are directly interchangeable with AK-47 parts? [internal, external, furniture, accessories]
(I see the gas tube area seems slightly different, and the way the wire butt stock attaches looks different than an AK butt stock. but that's all I can really see)

2) Is there any direct way to add a picatinny rail to the top of the receiver- (as close to the buttstock as possible) for peep sight installation? (I am an Iron Sight rifleman at heart - and my Army experience has driven me to be overly comfortable with the AR style peeps - and I'd really like If I could set that up on the AMD -the front sight looks like it'd be alright the way it is - but I do have a polymer Magpul picatinny set that I'd like to try.)

3) Anyone know where to get a really descriptive online manual - or maybe someone else's forum thread with a lot of Hungarian AMD65-specific detail? Having bought this third-hand, I really got nothing as far as information on the stripping/assembly process and any repair info - Now, I have found manuals online, but they are "general AK manuals" and they're either of poor resolution/quality or non-English. They are helpful, but they're really lacking in detail and with the poor quality, some are unbearable.

4) Does anyone have any recommendation on paint - namely for the lower grip- It, being metal, seems like it may get a bit warm, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good paint to use, now I've seen guys paint with Alumahyde 2 Epoxy paint, and some swear by Duracoat - but has anyone used these or anything else that you might suggest? I am specifically looking for good properties to handle the heat and gripping surfaces - maybe a ceramic based paint for the paint, and a rubber based for the gripping surfaces? Any info here is really helpful. Also, if the paint you like has special methods of application or cure - please let me know (like that Alumahyde 2 epoxy paint that takes a little over a week to fully cure...)

5) The gentleman I received the AMD from was kind enough to give me a single 30rd magazine (It is steel and appears to be a military surplus type) I am guessing he likely received the mag in the parts kit. I was wondering if you guys could offer me any advice on mags for AMDs mag wells - now I realize that it is a variant of the AK, but I really am trying to find a good fitting, inexpensive (relatively speaking[HA!]), and something you have maybe personally tested as a good product. And if not - is it possible there exists a mag parts stores for building/repairing your own mags? (if that last question seemed amateur to you, I am kind of fresh out of the military, and have only been exposed to an ample supply of accessories and parts for the past eight years, and the civilian market is still new [and sometimes confusing] to me.)

Lastly,

6) Is there a website or anything off the top of your head that can give me a few quick tips for mods and adjustments that will increase performance of the rifle and or annoyances (like sticky gas tube lever/buttstock release button, headspace, etc...) That would also be super awesome!

Alright, that is all of the info I think I have been unable to find thus far on my own. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read this and hopefully offer some of your knowledge and/or experience(s).

I will be monitoring this thread for the rest of the night while I strip down the AMD and prep it to remove the unfortunately haggard steel bluing - or whatever coating this is.

-Chris :s0155:

Just wanted to welcome you to the site and congratulate you on having the longest first post in the history of Northwest Firearms.:s0155:

Other than that I know nothing about the AMD-65, but have no doubt somebody on here can help you.

I can already tell I'm going to like it here! My post wasn't THAT impressive, was it? Thank you for the welcoming and the information, xd45acp! I stumbled on that site earlier in the day looking for cheek welds or risers or rests, whichever nomenclature is used today - and I didn't really browse otherwise, I felt kind of setback by the price at first... but I understand demand/supply/opportunity during these times - but hopefully it will soon pass and I can afford ammunition in bulk again. :D

My opinion, this is how an AMD-65 should look like. The only mod I did to the original was to stain the grips red. It even has the original FCG sans the full auto sear and rate r3tarder. The safety lever was modified to clear the disconnector. If/when you feel so inclined, submit a Form 1, buy an original muzzle break and enjoy the AMD the way is was supposed to be (sans the full auto, of course).

The AMD65tech stock adapter (titsonritz) is highly advisable. I'd also consider a Mojo rear sight.

AK-Builder have <broken link removed> . Price is horrible, but at least he's got them.

There is a couple of field stripping videos on meTube.

I encourage you to go with a Hungaria foregrip like titsonritz said above. If you change your mind, maybe I can help. At one point I had a black polymer AKM foregrip I modified on mine. I have no more use for it and if interested I can sell it to you, if I can find it in my parts bins.

View attachment 143420

My opinion, this is how an AMD-65 should look like. The only mod I did to the original was to satin the grips red. It even has the original FCG sans the full auto sear and rate r3tarder. The safety lever was modified to clear the disconnector. If/when you feel so inclined, submit a Form 1, buy an original muzzle break and enjoy the AMD the way is was supposed to be (sans the full auto, of course).

The AMD65tech stock adapter (titsonritz) is highly advisable. I'd also consider a Mojo rear sight.

AK-Builder have <broken link removed> . Price is horrible, but at least he's got them.

There is a couple of field stripping videos on meTube.

I encourage you to go with a Hungaria foregrip like titsonritz said above. If you change your mind, maybe I can help. At one point I had a black polymer AKM foregrip I modified on mine. I have no more use for it and if interested I can sell it to you, if I can find it in my parts bins.

View attachment 143392

Wow, that looks nice! Plus 1 on the Mojo site.

Here is the thing, the AMD-65 was designed for two pistol grips. It does not offer a way to install a gas tube cover. You would have to adapt a standard AKM/AK-47/AK/74 cover. If I were to do such a thing, I'd start with a AKM gas tube/gas tube cover assembly. Then it would need to be cut to the same length as the AMD-65 gas tube, drill venting holes. Then, you'd need to replace the hand guard retainer which requires removing the front sight block and gas block, plus other things that I have not foreseen. Bottom line, not a job for a novice.

For AK-47/74 parts, try Apex Gun Parts and AK-Builder. Those are my "go to" online sellers

AMD65 Gas tube
AKM gas tube
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>

Olfson-

Welcome to the forum! You must be of Scandinavian decent. I myself am second generation American on my dads side, Fresh Off the Boat from Sweden.

Congratulations on purchasing the finest 'point and click' weapon platform in the world! I say that to stir up the AR guys. Your questions seem to be focused on somebody who wishes to use their rifle as more of a utilitarian than a show boat, there is no reason what so ever to think your rifle should be anything more than you want, unless it is a pre-1989 import then we'd have words.

First, does your receiver say <FEG> on the left side?
Second, does your receiver say TGI or Tennessee Guns underneath it?
Third, does it say century on it?

Your Question #2: Check out the Texas Dog Leg: .Texas Weapon Systems, Dog Leg scope rail It replaces the rear sight and uses a new picatinny railed top cover that has a self aligning feature. You can also purchase their rear sight which aligns itself your front sight. Benefits, aside from a rail to mount optics or MP3 players, is that it extends your distance between sights, helping you to be more accurate. I am not knocking the AMD-65, but by extending the sites you will go from a pizza box group to a pie plate group... with practice. Since you are considering an optic, I would highly recommend the stock adapter as mentioned above. If you are looking for a more 'forward' optic, I would recommend the UltiMak forward scope mount that replaces the gas tube: AK47 AK Scout Scope Mount, Hungarian AMD-65 If you choose that option replace the bottom sheet metal hand guard with a polymer lower HG with metal heat shield from Kvar: The Largest AK-47/74 Rifle... If you don't have the AMD 65 sheet metal lower HG with reverse pistol grip, you can safely and effectively use 30 round magazines.

Hope this helps.

SF-

Thank you guys so much by the way, I'm really getting a lot out of all of these sites.
And yes, I am Norwegian and Jewish. :D
Markings... I really only noticed one at first and that is a circled 'D' on the bottom of the trigger guard, there is a triangle with the letter "C" inside -this one is located on the housing for the stock release stop (rear trunion area) .... lastly there is a circled "E" near a round pin under the rear sight (I believe would be part of the forward trunion?)- it appears there may be other stamps in this area that were covered up by milling or hammering. I will, of course, include pictures at the end of this post in the order I described them.. Other than that the Gas block and Bolt have the same serial number stamped on them, but the receiver is different. The stamps you mentioned - I couldn't find. every piece of info you guys have given me, I am already debating what mods to do... I really did like a guy's idea of doing some minor modifications to a Magpul MOE Remington 870 forend grip - and used it as a foregrip <broken link removed> ..

I've been having an interesting last couple of days going through AK stuff - there is quite a bit of information that I was Ignorant of until I started getting responses from all of you fine people. I again, thank all of you for your great responses!

here are the pictues of the stamps in order:

WP_20130411_007.jpg

WP_20130411_008.jpg

WP_20130411_011.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show