JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi. I just picked up an 1948 Remington Mod. 31 shotgun in 12 gauge. It has an Aeromet receiver which is an alloy receiver that was made for about only three years starting in 1947. This was I think Remington's first attempt at a lightweight general purpose field shotgun. The shotgun originally has a full choke, but my shotgun has a polychoke installed. The shotgun is designed for use with 2 3/4 inch shells.

Here is my dilema. Is it safe to shoot steel shot through it. I know that ODFW requires steels shot for bird hunting, but I'm worried that this gun with it's age and design may not be set up for steel shot. If anyoen knows an answer to the "Steel Shot yes or no" please let me know. I was hoping to use it for quail, grouse and rabbits and could use a little guidance.

Thanks!

I would recommend not using the full choke setting with steel shot. Steel shot does not like lots of constriction and can bulge barrels and hurt your pattern. Improved should be OK maybe modified too. Most steel loads are pretty hot, your gun is in good condition right? Its expensive ($3+ a shot) but there are non-toxic options out there for old guns. Kent tungsten matrix, Remington HD, Hevi-Shot Classic Doubles, and Bismuth are all rated for old barrels I think. Most likely you will be fine with steel but, i'm not a gunsmith.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top