Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Help with a Remington

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by pdxk31, Dec 2, 2012.

1. pdxk31

pdxk31 Portland New Member

Hi. I just picked up an 1948 Remington Mod. 31 shotgun in 12 gauge. It has an Aeromet receiver which is an alloy receiver that was made for about only three years starting in 1947. This was I think Remington's first attempt at a lightweight general purpose field shotgun. The shotgun originally has a full choke, but my shotgun has a polychoke installed. The shotgun is designed for use with 2 3/4 inch shells.

Here is my dilema. Is it safe to shoot steel shot through it. I know that ODFW requires steels shot for bird hunting, but I'm worried that this gun with it's age and design may not be set up for steel shot. If anyoen knows an answer to the "Steel Shot yes or no" please let me know. I was hoping to use it for quail, grouse and rabbits and could use a little guidance.

Thanks!

2. Toxic6

Toxic6 Higher then a PDX hipster (~10,000 ft higher) Active Member

You have to use steel shot for quail, grouse, and rabbits?

3. chainsaw

chainsaw East side of Or. Active Member

Steel should be ok,the shot doesn`t touch the barrel,just the wad.

4. sneakboxer

sneakboxer NW OR Active Member

I would recommend not using the full choke setting with steel shot. Steel shot does not like lots of constriction and can bulge barrels and hurt your pattern. Improved should be OK maybe modified too. Most steel loads are pretty hot, your gun is in good condition right? Its expensive ($3+ a shot) but there are non-toxic options out there for old guns. Kent tungsten matrix, Remington HD, Hevi-Shot Classic Doubles, and Bismuth are all rated for old barrels I think. Most likely you will be fine with steel but, i'm not a gunsmith.

5. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

agree

6. Peteralexander78

Peteralexander78 vancouver Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Easiest thing to do is email Remington, they will tell you. I did it for my 1148, and they said it was fine.

7. pdxk31

pdxk31 Portland New Member

Thanks for all the good info! Much appreciated!

8. Box13

Box13 Beavercreek Member

As far as I know you dont need steel shot for upland birds or rabbits...only waterfoul...