JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,
I need some help picking out a .308 rifle and figured I would hit up the wealth of knowledge on here. I have decided on Savage Arms because I love the accu trigger, reputation for accuracy, and price. I just need some help deciding on which model. I will be using this for deer/elk hunting and target shooting at around 550 yards. I would like to stay below $700 dollars and plan to spend more on the scope then the rifle. Additionally, I will be using it to hunt in the Linn County/Deschutes County area.
Thank you for the help!

Hello all,
I need some help picking out a .308 rifle and figured I would hit up the wealth of knowledge on here. I have decided on Savage Arms because I love the accu trigger, reputation for accuracy, and price. I just need some help deciding on which model. I will be using this for deer/elk hunting and target shooting at around 550 yards. I would like to stay below $700 dollars and plan to spend more on the scope then the rifle. Additionally, I will be using it to hunt in the Linn County/Deschutes County area.
Thank you for the help!

Maybe you should look at another caliber for more humane shooting of deer and elk at 500 yards, such as the 300 Winchester or 7 mm Remington. the 300 WM has been used in target competition at 1000 yards. Maybe the 308 inside 300 yards, perferably inside 200 yards for elk and deer, but 400+ yards is a risky, if not, inhumane shot on an elk.

Maybe you can do more research on this idea? Just my opinion.

A .308 will do fine on deer out to 550 yards, Elk on the other hand it's right on the edge for the "accepted" force needed to take an elk (1500 ft/lbs). A 165 Nosler partition loaded from Nosler still has 1486 ft/lbs of energy at 450 yards and at 550 it has 1266. As always regardless of caliber it should be a well placed shot and one the shooter should be sure they can make before attempting.

As far a picking out a rifle, you've decided on a Savage, so go to a store with a bunch in their inventory, and select the one you like.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top