Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Help picking out a .308

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by tjackson, Apr 15, 2012.

1. tjackson

tjackson Sweet Home New Member

Hello all,
    I need some help picking out a .308 rifle and figured I would hit up the wealth of knowledge on here. I have decided on Savage Arms because I love the accu trigger, reputation for accuracy, and price. I just need some help deciding on which model. I will be using this for deer/elk hunting and target shooting at around 550 yards. I would like to stay below $700 dollars and plan to spend more on the scope then the rifle. Additionally, I will be using it to hunt in the Linn County/Deschutes County area.
    Thank you for the help!

2. tkdguy

tkdguy Portland, Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Maybe you should look at another caliber for more humane shooting of deer and elk at 500 yards, such as the 300 Winchester or 7 mm Remington. the 300 WM has been used in target competition at 1000 yards. Maybe the 308 inside 300 yards, perferably inside 200 yards for elk and deer, but 400+ yards is a risky, if not, inhumane shot on an elk.

Maybe you can do more research on this idea? Just my opinion.

3. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

A .308 will do fine on deer out to 550 yards, Elk on the other hand it's right on the edge for the "accepted" force needed to take an elk (1500 ft/lbs). A 165 Nosler partition loaded from Nosler still has 1486 ft/lbs of energy at 450 yards and at 550 it has 1266. As always regardless of caliber it should be a well placed shot and one the shooter should be sure they can make before attempting.

As far a picking out a rifle, you've decided on a Savage, so go to a store with a bunch in their inventory, and select the one you like.

4. BANE

BANE Battle Ground WA. Well-Known Member

A 7mmRM would be a great cartridge for what your looking for.

5. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

FWIW, if the OP is looking to hunt at those ranges, I would have to agree.

6. DEADTIME

DEADTIME Coeur D alene Active Member

A used m1a or a Remington 700.....both fantastic.

7. billgrigsby24

billgrigsby24 Beaverton, Or Active Member

It's going to be personal preference on models but check out Savage's 11/111 Long Range Hunter.

8. BANE

BANE Battle Ground WA. Well-Known Member

+1 on the M1a or Remington 700.

9. tjackson

tjackson Sweet Home New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I will probably only be hunting at 300 yards. Anything farther (500yrds) will be sport/target shooting.

10. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Savage 10 in model you want!