JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi there,
I just joined. Want to take my kid shooting and also cut down the ugliest tree I can find this weekend. My dad passed away a couple months ago, so I don't have him to bother answering my stupid questions or just make him take me anymore. Anyone know where I can take my son to pass down the tradition? Everywhere I look seems to be closed for shooting.

Clatskanie gun and rifle club is open every other Sarurday and Sunday to the public from 10am to 2pm. Look them up on line. Welcome

Clatskanie is a bit of a drive from Milwaukee. There are a couple of private clubs in the Portland area with nice facilities, but membership is on the spendy side and at least one of them (Tri-County) has a waiting list. So those options are probably better left until you and your boy decide you're really into shooting. There's also a club up in Vancouver, but I don't know anything else about it.

There are a couple of public indoor ranges around there. Clackamas County operates one over on SE 82nd just south of Sunnyside. There's another one up at Delta Park called The Place To Shoot, you can find it online.

If you just want to go out in the woods and shoot, the traditional answer has always been to find an old logging road, but a lot of them are closed off these days. There's a place to the west off of Hwy 26 that's actually set up as a shooting area with multiple bays, first come first served. It's called North Fork Wolf Creek Range. About 20 miles or so west of the Hwy 26 / Hwy 47 (Banks) interchange. It's a pretty decent place to go, but it's a dirt road and I don't know what condition it's in after the recent rains. I think I have the GPS coordinates for the turnoff if you want them.

1702603588457.png

Aloha, Mark

Welcome aboard. Sorry for your loss. How old is your son? Hunter Safety courses are a good place to network. A lot of good shooters on here too. Get a firewood map from USFS and you will find Christmas trees and places to shoot.

Canby Rod and Gun Club offers hunter safety courses...
I've put 2 boys and 2 girls and a Daughter in law through Canby , good people...
Canby has a waiting list as well to be a member...

I would sponsor you for a trip to Canby Rod and Gun Club but I'm unfortunately always on the road in a Semi Truck...

I'll see if I can contact the club and see is something can be arranged...

Welcome
Since you are in Milwaukie, you might make a visit to; Oregon department of fish and wildlife off Evelyn st. in Clackamas, Albeit a tiny place, with about thirty square feet of lobby space, you'll find some very nice and knowledgeable folks that work there. Be sure to allow time to browse all the helpful pamphlets on a variety of subjects from hunting, fishing, hiking, maps and more. Take your kids, they may enjoy seeing the animals preserved there.
You'll need a tree cut permit, They cost five bucks but if you have a fourth grader:
The permit allows for the removal of one tree under 15 feet tall on National Forest Land. Five tree permits are allowed per household. Fourth graders are eligible for a free holiday tree permit — please see Every Kid Outdoors to obtain your fourth grader park pass and order through Recreation.gov.
Nonetheless, permits are available there, and maps as to where cutting areas are. in the process, you may find places to shoot publicly upon going to or beyond those areas. As always, know what's behind your target before you shoot, practice the utmost safety, and police afterwards all evidence of your visit.

Canby Rod and Gun Club offers hunter safety courses...
I've put 2 boys and 2 girls and a Daughter in law through Canby , good people...
Canby has a waiting list as well to be a member...

I would sponsor you for a trip to Canby Rod and Gun Club but I'm unfortunately always on the road in a Semi Truck...

I'll see if I can contact the club and see is something can be arranged...
That's awesome, Thank you!

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups in Oregon and Washington. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Welcome and Good on you for continuing family tradition.

Clatskanie is a bit of a drive from Milwaukee.
Yes, but it's not quite as far from Milwaukie! (sorry, couldn't resist. Double EE (Milwaukee) is Wisconsin. IE (Milwaukie) is Oregon. (Sorry. I lived in Milwaukie for years and it's just not the same as the "other" place.)

If you are looking for an informal place to shoot there are many places in the National Forest to go. Just find a good backstop in an area that isn't restricted, which a few are, and have fun. It doesn't have to be a formal shooting range. The only places I am familiar with have gotten very difficult to access, so I'm kind of useless for specifics.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top