JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
okay, I'm pretty new to the northwest. I live in longview and am looking for a place to shoot out doors. hate ranges because I like to shoot melons and other random junk (no I never litter) also I own an AR with a Beta-C mag and "rapid fire" is never allowed at ranges.

so what are the rules for shooting outdoors here. I want to have some fun but I don't want to go to jail for it. also if you know any places near longview where I won't disturb hunters would be good

Well, you might hate ranges, but I still suggest looking into Clatskanie Rifle and Pistol Club. Its $80 per year. On weekdays, the range is only open to members which usually means no one is there until early afternoon at the earliest. On weekends it is open to the public as well, so it tends to be a bit more crowded. The main range has a covered shooting area, a stove, a 15, 25, 50, 100 and 200 yard target board, a nice dedicated bathroom that is always available and a new clubhouse for meetings and such.

I was personally OKed by the rangemaster to shoot melons, but only AFTER I convinced him that I'd pick up all the little pieces after I was done. As long as you pick up after yourself, you should be OK too. I have done rapid fire there too, but only when no-one else was present. I presume its verboten otherwise. (There is no soda can, paint can or other types of random junk shooting allowed ever, though.)

Anyways, that's my input.

Keith

Welcome! First post, I see.
There used to be a lot of places around to shoot, but now most of the timber properties are gated off, due to litter and vandalism.
The only open, public places that I can think of, off the top of my head, are a bit of a drive.
The Clatsop State Forest, on HWY 30 between Wauna and Astoria, is open year 'round.
The other area open year 'round would be the Yacolt Burn, east of Vancouver.
Perhaps others will chime in with good spots closer.

From Longview, head west on Ocean Beach Highway. Outside the city limits it becomes Highway 4. I can't tell you exactly how far out it is, but 7-8 miles or so, is Mill Creek Rd. Right after you turn, it splits, you can either go up the hill on Oak Point Rd and that takes you to some logging roads. If you stay on Mill Creek, it will end at a logging road. There are many roads out there. I go 2.5 miles or so up it, hang a left on the 1200 line and drive until that road ends in a large clear cut. Shooting into some large old stumps, you can get nearly 200 meters at the end of the road, or turn towards the way you came in, and safely get 400 meters. There are other places to shoot up there, but that's the best one I've found, that you can get any type of distance at. Just don't litter up there, please. There are people that do it, and I spend half my shooting time picking up other peoples bubblegum and it pisses me off. So don't do it. There are MANY roads up there, lots of places to hunt/shoot. But keep it clean. You can also get to the same series of roads if you turn up Abernathy Creek Rd, then left on Slide Creek Rd and follow that until the hardball ends and you're on logging roads. If you go that way, there are usually lots of logging trucks, so beware, and give them the right of way.

Help keep those areas clean, and be respectful of the people working out there, and IP will keep those areas open for a long time.

If you don't have one already, invest in a Washington State atlas. It will help give you more of an idea of the areas I'm talking about. It will show the truck trails, the Bradley ORV trail, Bradley truck trail, Incline truck trail, that sort of thing. Do it, invest in one. It's been one of my better purchases for all things outdoor-recreation related

From Longview, head west on Ocean Beach Highway. Outside the city limits it becomes Highway 4. I can't tell you exactly how far out it is, but 7-8 miles or so, is Mill Creek Rd. Right after you turn, it splits, you can either go up the hill on Oak Point Rd and that takes you to some logging roads. If you stay on Mill Creek, it will end at a logging road. There are many roads out there. I go 2.5 miles or so up it, hang a left on the 1200 line and drive until that road ends in a large clear cut. Shooting into some large old stumps, you can get nearly 200 meters at the end of the road, or turn towards the way you came in, and safely get 400 meters. There are other places to shoot up there, but that's the best one I've found, that you can get any type of distance at. Just don't litter up there, please. There are people that do it, and I spend half my shooting time picking up other peoples bubblegum and it pisses me off. So don't do it. There are MANY roads up there, lots of places to hunt/shoot. But keep it clean. You can also get to the same series of roads if you turn up Abernathy Creek Rd, then left on Slide Creek Rd and follow that until the hardball ends and you're on logging roads. If you go that way, there are usually lots of logging trucks, so beware, and give them the right of way.

Help keep those areas clean, and be respectful of the people working out there, and IP will keep those areas open for a long time.

If you don't have one already, invest in a Washington State atlas. It will help give you more of an idea of the areas I'm talking about. It will show the truck trails, the Bradley ORV trail, Bradley truck trail, Incline truck trail, that sort of thing. Do it, invest in one. It's been one of my better purchases for all things outdoor-recreation related

how is the logging road condition? I don't own a truck. or will I have to hike it?

Well, you might hate ranges, but I still suggest looking into Clatskanie Rifle and Pistol Club. Its $80 per year. On weekdays, the range is only open to members which usually means no one is there until early afternoon at the earliest. On weekends it is open to the public as well, so it tends to be a bit more crowded. The main range has a covered shooting area, a stove, a 15, 25, 50, 100 and 200 yard target board, a nice dedicated bathroom that is always available and a new clubhouse for meetings and such.

I was personally OKed by the rangemaster to shoot melons, but only AFTER I convinced him that I'd pick up all the little pieces after I was done. As long as you pick up after yourself, you should be OK too. I have done rapid fire there too, but only when no-one else was present. I presume its verboten otherwise. (There is no soda can, paint can or other types of random junk shooting allowed ever, though.)

Anyways, that's my input.

Keith

So they closed it to the public now? I'm kinda glad, as I didn't really like being scheduled to babysit the range on weekends. Maybe I'll join up again if thats the case?

"On weekends it is open to the public as well, so it tends to be a bit more crowded."

I don't read too well, but it looks like he said it was open to the public on the weekends.

The roads are fine, a truck isn't needed up there. They are typical logging roads, rough and bumpy in some spots, but completely accessible by car. Unless you're driving a 'Vette:s0112:

unless .... :s0131:

IMG_3630-300x225.jpg

Great information, I just moved to Portland last week myself and have been trying to find good places to go. Ranges around here are either too far away, or too expensive for how often I go out.

Great information, I just moved to Portland last week myself and have been trying to find good places to go. Ranges around here are either too far away, or too expensive for how often I go out.

My advice? Get a 4WD truck quick. It's that time of year where you either have one or stay home a lot.

thanks but I can hardly afford the gas on my compact sedan : P
I was here in 2008. snow didn't really stop me. just had to chain up

If you're going to hit up those roads with a little snow in Longview, you can be gauranteed there will be at least 3-4 more inches of snow up in the hills. You'll want 4wd then, I don't think chains would suffice. Other than that, a lil' car will be fine on those roads

There is also (so I've heard from another member on here) a range up Coal Creek, but I'd never heard of it before so I have no idea about anything involving it. Where is the rock pit at, A2theK?

I don't know the Longview area but you can shoot on any state DNR land but you have to follow some basic safety rules. Have a suitable backstop and use paper target- don't make a mess. Clean up when you leave. Also follow local ordinances like staying a certain distance from roads or power lines etc.......:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top