JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For my kids I did as was said earlier. Teach the NRA safety rules (safe direction, finger off the trigger and keep it unloaded). Remove the mystery of the firearm(s). Show them what it is, safely let them hold it. Explain that the firearms are yours and they are not to look at them with you being present, all they need to do is ask. I also coupled all of this with the Eddie Eagle program, which my daughters remember to this day, many years later. At the range I explained everyone's job simply. That simplicity part seems to sometimes escape us as gun enthusiasts and we can all at times run off on a tangent. Remember the phrase KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). Then when shooting one kid at a time was the rule for me. I used my Ruger Mk II for this so my additional concern was to ensure they maintained the right grip and didn't damage their thumb by wrapping it over their hand behind the slide. The other thing to look for was when the child had a question, watch for them turning to ask and bringing that muzzle back around in an unsafe direction at the same time.

Get a .22lr and put it on a shooting table or set it up with sand bags. They way the first time they shoot they do not have to contend with the weight of the gun. 3 years old is plenty old enough to pull the trigger, though I would not let them hold the gun. Teach the 4 safety rules, and explain that they are not toys. Have fun with it too.

"My son has never forgot that milk jug." Ditto Mark! Anti-freeze jug, max load .357HP = big boom and splash!!! The only thing that I will add to all the excellent posts above is to urge you to let the 3 year old squeeze the trigger a few times. Hold the gun by all means, but, by including him or her you will avoid hurt feelings, gain cooperation and you will probably be surprised by what a 3 year can retain! Good luck!!!

My kids were 3 & 4 when I took them to a friends pasture up in the hills. I explained what a gun was, how it's used (proper grip) and what it does when misused. I had each sit on my lap, one at a time, hands upon my hands gripping the gun. I then told them they must NEVER PLAY with a gun and then told them this is what could happen to your sister, brother, friend or anyone else then fired a round into a grapefruit. The sight of it being obliterated was a life long learning experience for both, it did not sour them from guns at all but did instill a deep trust that I cared enough to show them the right way to handle them. Both are great marksmen and enjoy going to the range with their Papa.

This may be a bit too much for those Cali kids but you must give them a graphic shock for it to sink in. This worked "just fine" for these Southern ones...

Sorry I was late getting back to the party, the last couple weeks have been beyond busy.
I really appreciate all your guys' insight.
I think the milk jug idea is great along with the watermelons.
My plan is to start out inside with a few firearms. We will cover the basic parts of the firearm, the rules, then the rules again, and then we will go out back to shoot some .22 together. I am glad I have been buying a little here and there.
I will make sure to include fruit/ milk jugs to demonstrate the devastating effects a firearm can have.
I am off to read the Eddy Eagle materials now as well.
Thanks again.

I think, as a parent, that the first thing needs to be showing the kids that their mother can handle the gun. That will give them confidence and excitement. The 3 year old is a no-go, probably won't even be interested unless things are blowing up. The 6 and 8 year olds will be able to learn pretty quickly.

The only thing I'll add here, since you're back on this thread again, is that kids that age have a very short attention span. Don't plan to sit down at the table with them and have a 2-hour-long safety discussion, you'll probably lose them 20-30 minutes in at best. I would also recommend, if you're interested, to get an inexpensive airsoft gun, something that isn't too big, spring powered, that you can let them fire themselves. That's what I do with my daughter. It allows you to put a gun in their hands and watch how they handle it. I guarantee you'll see them point it at someone, but you can keep it unloaded during that time. Sure, you can still be hurt by an ND with an airsoft gun, but in a controlled environment, with direct supervision, that shouldn't happen.

Hi everybody,
My sister in law will be visiting with her three kids in April. The kids are 6,5, and 3. They live in California and have had zero exposure to firearms. While they are visiting, she wants me to tell the kids about firearms and put on a bit of shooting demonstration.
Since I don't have kids, I was wondering if any of you fine parents had any extra words of advice when conveying ideas to the children?

This is extra exciting for me as the sister in law was pretty anti gun for most of the last 10 years. She is coming around pretty well and I am looking forward to introducing a new generation to the shooting sports.
Thanks for the help.

Mike
When I was teaching my three girls the first lesson I took a watermelon and put a round into it. At that second they knew guns are not toys. I bought them a cheap BB gun they would take with them on the weekends the family would go shooting. When I knew they respected firearms they got their .22's. I'm proud of all three of them as they can all out shoot their husbands.

Watch'em like a hawk, and keep the session short. Be safe before being anything else.

A friend brought his 6-year-old out to the farm to do some target practice. Before they started, he asked her "What's the first rule of gun safety?"

Her answer: "Never point the shooty part at something you don't want to shoot."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads