JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My Son in law has a situation with his oldest daughter. Her mother will only agree to allow the girl to go shooting with her dad if she FIRST attends a real honest to gosh Firearms Safety Class. This was a compromise the girls mother.

The girl is 15 and a bit of an animal lover so a traditional hunters safety class is out of the question.

She doesn't need a self defense pistol class (least not yet) So we are kind of stuck trying to find a basic Firearms Safety class.

Hopefully in the Portland area and hopefully on a weekend.

Grandpa (me) and her Dad (son in law) could easily teach her everything she needs to know while having a range day. BUT her mom has this rule.

So anyone know of any beginners firearms safety class?

Might be a long waiting list but give Clackamas County Public Safety Training Center a call, or Jim Jacobe or Four Corners Rod and Gun Club does NRA basic pistol classes. Both of those are in Salem. I know PSTC will accept students that young as long as an adult is present but not sure about the other two. Though it's a bit of a drive, Marty Hayes' Firearms Academy of Seattle is in Chehalis, WA.

A basic Pistol class like we have at Four Corners (I am a Member) is not what we are looking for. She won't be shooting any pistols She will be shooting a bolt action .22 so a rifle based class is what we need.

And Clackamas County Public Safety Training Center also does not have any rifle related classes.

And APT's calender shows only classes last year so no clue what they offer or even if they are still in business.

Thanks for the effort guys But I'm still looking.

Nice Ash I think your right. And since Appleseed is on a weekend it works out perfect as the SIL has his daughter only on weekends.

Looking into the June 8th Class right now. Thanks

Any of the NRA "Basic" level classes will fill the need just fine.

They all have terrific curriculum on basic gun safety, the functions of the firearms they are discussing (rifle, pistol, shotgun) and a practical sports-shooting component.

<broken link removed>

PSTC is the best for a basic handgun safety class. You have the morning in class and then the afternoon on the range. Lots of practice loading, unloading and such before a shot is fired. Emphasis on range commands and safety.

I took the class a few years back and would recommend it highly. If some travel is okay, then OFF basic handgun is good too.

Sodbuster

Beavercreek armory has a Youth Safety Class that sounds like it might be what you are looking for. The experiences I have had there have been mixed but it's a real class by a 3rd party that includes live fire.

I think this is the outfit that cancelled a class she was registered in just a week or so before it was to take place leaving us in this mess. I could be wrong. But I think this is the one the SIL was gripping about.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top