Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

HELP beginners firearm safety class needed for Grand daughter

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by Mark W., Apr 25, 2013.

1. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My Son in law has a situation with his oldest daughter. Her mother will only agree to allow the girl to go shooting with her dad if she FIRST attends a real honest to gosh Firearms Safety Class. This was a compromise the girls mother.

The girl is 15 and a bit of an animal lover so a traditional hunters safety class is out of the question.

She doesn't need a self defense pistol class (least not yet) So we are kind of stuck trying to find a basic Firearms Safety class.

Hopefully in the Portland area and hopefully on a weekend.

Grandpa (me) and her Dad (son in law) could easily teach her everything she needs to know while having a range day. BUT her mom has this rule.

So anyone know of any beginners firearms safety class?

2. Simonpie

Simonpie Portland Active Member

3. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

NRA?

4. SKN

SKN Keizer, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Might be a long waiting list but give Clackamas County Public Safety Training Center a call, or Jim Jacobe or Four Corners Rod and Gun Club does NRA basic pistol classes. Both of those are in Salem. I know PSTC will accept students that young as long as an adult is present but not sure about the other two. Though it's a bit of a drive, Marty Hayes' Firearms Academy of Seattle is in Chehalis, WA.

5. Mark W.

A basic Pistol class like we have at Four Corners (I am a Member) is not what we are looking for. She won't be shooting any pistols She will be shooting a bolt action .22 so a rifle based class is what we need.

And Clackamas County Public Safety Training Center also does not have any rifle related classes.

And APT's calender shows only classes last year so no clue what they offer or even if they are still in business.

Thanks for the effort guys But I'm still looking.

6. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

Are there basic hunters safety classes anymore?

7. NiceAsh

NiceAsh Salem Active Member

8. Mark W.

Nice Ash I think your right. And since Appleseed is on a weekend it works out perfect as the SIL has his daughter only on weekends.

Looking into the June 8th Class right now. Thanks

9. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

The NRA has youth programs, I checked their site, but I couldn't find a list of them. They do provide this number to call 877-672-6282.

10. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

11. Old Hick

Old Hick Oregon Active Member

PM Sent

12. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Beaverton, OR Chief Cook/Bottle Washer

PSTC is the best for a basic handgun safety class. You have the morning in class and then the afternoon on the range. Lots of practice loading, unloading and such before a shot is fired. Emphasis on range commands and safety.

I took the class a few years back and would recommend it highly. If some travel is okay, then OFF basic handgun is good too.

Sodbuster

13. Mark W.

Yes but she's not going to be doing any pistol shooting she's 15. She needs to learn how to handle and shoot a .22 rifle.

14. huthuthike

huthuthike Hillsboro OR Active Member

Beavercreek armory has a Youth Safety Class that sounds like it might be what you are looking for. The experiences I have had there have been mixed but it's a real class by a 3rd party that includes live fire.

15. Mark W.

I think this is the outfit that cancelled a class she was registered in just a week or so before it was to take place leaving us in this mess. I could be wrong. But I think this is the one the SIL was gripping about.