JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Chance Paladin here. I'm the author of the PNW Affliction series. Lived between Seattle-ish and Portland-ish my entire life. I'm a System Analyst by trade and just flat-out like helping people and teams improve.

I like camping, and was a boyscout. I have a bachelors in IT. Been unemployed for almost two years because the economy is a joke. I love writing but eventually I run out of things to write about that directly help people, so one day I just started on an idea. That idea turned into my first novella, which turned into two more, which turned into the planning for two more, and then two more after that.

My PNW Affliction series of novellas is a post-apocalyptic, sci-fi lite take on a scenario. Here's the first six chapters if you want to read them. PNW Affliction pt1 - Recycled (p).pdf

Basically, the PNW collapses in a few years following the natural progression of everything going on currently and over the last few years. It's from an analyst's point of view and ends up spanning about a 2.5 year timeframe or so.

I'm three books in, with fourth in editing. Working on number five and have planned through seven right now. Let me know, and I can PM you the first six chapters of the first book if you want. Otherwise if you have KindleUnlimited, they're actually included in that. The "Kindle" versions are $1.99 and are DRM-free.

I've never written any books this big before, only children stories throughout school. All of my writing as an adult has been technical documentation, so this has been a really exciting leap for me. I take that back, I did write a 200+ page webcomic that took me like five years!

I found out I like writing these novellas just as much as writing technical documentation. It really scratches that itch, and when I'm on a roll, I can write about something all day long, but nobody ever wants to hear it. They always want everything concise but to some how magically make sense.

But with my books, I can write all day long, and that's exactly what people want! They want a story and I can finally write a story. There's no fluff in them at all. No insane side-conversations that are irrelevant that bloat the books. Everything is relevant to the story. That makes them shorter than most stories, but they aren't really short. They're actually just the length they're supposed to be!

The neat thing about Kindle is, if I ever see anything wrong or that I don't like, I can just update it and then it kicks back out to everyone. So far though, I've been really blessed with my stories to not have to "retcon" anything. The story is fitting together amazingly well and I take tons of notes and do tons of research to make sure everything is right. It's made me feel like Tom Clancy several times. He was my absolute hero as a kid and as an adult too.

Even though there are some "sci-fi lite" aspects in the book, I try to write every single thing as if it was extremely plausible if things right now just very slightly change. Because I'm trying to imagine what would be available then based on prototyping or ecology now.

I don't use any names of groups, good or bad. And I don't use any brand names that I can think of, although if you're even remotely clever, you'll likely know what I'm talking about. I don't do it to promote specifically, I do it because it's a fantasy book sort of. If you were going to write a fantasy book, you write the person having the coolest things you can imagine! Things you can't afford, but maybe in the future if things were a little different.

There's some times my character doesn't have the latest and greatest, but some times he does. I love having that flexibility.

I think the hardest part about writing is the editing. I work so hard on a book and it's very hard to go back through and edit. I really want to just write the book, review, and publish. But I know I know I can't. Got to edit that draft! So hard.

Anyway, as you can see here. I can literally write forever. Hopefully someone reads this and I'm glad I finally found ya'll. Please ask me any questions that come to mind.

Take care!

Last Edited:
Ah good point I should have included that in the little mini-book I wrote for everyone. ;) Hehe, no short answers for anything.

Chance Paladin is a pseudonym because every time I do get a job somewhere, they make me sign non-competes and crap, and the last thing I need is some company thinking they own the rights to my books. Or my training documents, etc.. Also it's just more comfortable to me to go by a different name. Whenever people use my name I feel like I'm in trouble for something. :-(

Thanks again for all the kind words. I know it sounds silly, but one of the things that's always drove me bonkers is accidentally using feet, yards, and meters in terms of distance.

I know I've screwed it up several times already, and it's extremely hard to keep track and rationalize / standardize. I can't find anything written about it anywhere. A 200 meter shot vs a 200 yard shot. I know they're conceptually nearly the same, but unsure as to why people talk about them the way they do. It takes around three yards/meters to make a foot.

I just end up thinking about a football field because that's the easiest thing to picture. Then for walking and distance, I guess I revert back into feet again. This's the kind of crap that goes through my over-analytical head. :-(

I guess scopes are incremented meters/yards and that's how that ended up being coined, or? Anyway, that's the first thing that comes to mind. It'll be fun to have conversations like that, for sure. Never have been able to find a good answer and I hate sounding stupid. I don't know if it's my eyes, or brain, or neck, but I've never got the knack of looking through a scope so the terminology never clicked. I don't know. I can only understand it vicariously through people's interpretations and training.

Thanks again for all the kind words. I know it sounds silly, but one of the things that's always drove me bonkers is accidentally using feet, yards, and meters in terms of distance.
I'll use feet up to 100' which is the length of a full size power cord.
I'm a construction guy so I have an image in my mind's eye of what that is.
1/2 of that, 50', is a good pistol target distance.

And then it's yards for me, although I'll interchange with meters.
I "think" in feet and yards.

Welcome to NWF !

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top