1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Hello from a CA resident moving to Portland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by XYZ, Sep 28, 2010.

1. XYZ

XYZ Portland New Member

Hi - I heard about this site on Calguns (CA equivalent of this site) when I was asking about OR firearm forums. I'm on Calguns, GlockTalk, Arfcom, etc under the same handle. I'm familiar with CA gun laws but know nothing about OR gun laws. I'm relocating to the Portland area in a few months and wanted to know if I had to register my guns and what's involved in the process. Also, is there a book about OR gun laws? There's one for CA titled How to Own a Gun and Stay Out of Jail as I wanted to become familiar with the laws prior to completing my move. Thanks for any help.
  2. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

3. sdlsaginaw

sdlsaginaw Oregon Active Member

Check out Oregon Firearms Federation at Oregon Firearms Federation for their book on Oregon gun laws. Especially important if you think about getting a CHL (yes, you can actually get a CHL in Oregon!)
  4. SmellsFishy

SmellsFishy Hood River, OR Member

Welcome fellow former Californian! I just moved to OR as well. Dont miss CA at all... I'm loving the gun laws here.
  5. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Beaverton, OR Chief Cook/Bottle Washer

Welcome to Orygun, you Californicator you. (from one to another)....

Glad to get out of the nasty-ness I am sure. But, welcome to the liberal utopia of Portland. Don't worry, there are those of us conservatives who can help you get around without losing too many tail feathers (so to speak).

6. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Oh, man, are you ever moving from purgatory to Gun Heaven. The wife and I have had concealed-carry permits for 2+ years now, and I just got a tax stamp for a .22 suppressor a couple months ago. Life is good - and fun.

Turns out lots of my neighbors came from CA like I did, some of them decades ago. Everybody shoots, most of them hunt and fish, and they're all just regular folks. It sure is nice to live in a place where being a competitive bubblegum isn't the highest aspiration of humankind.

So my unsolicited advice is, slow down and say howya doin to the guys that pump your gas.
  7. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Yeah, our firearm laws are much more liberal and sane than our neighbor to the South. We are a shall issue state for CHLs. We don't have an idiotic assault weapon ban or magazine capacity limits. You don't need a stinking spreadsheet to figure out if a guns legal. If it's legal federally, it's legal here so NFA weapons aren't banned here.

Just don't pump your own gas or look too surprised when you aren't charged sales tax.
  8. olyshoots

olyshoots Vancouver USA Member

Welcome to a more liberl region as to gun laws. This site will have information, and willing "experts" to provide answers to all of your questions.