JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Remmy 870 with a 26" barrel and synthetic stock that I want to convert to HD.

Whats the best stock for this setup? I was thinking a folding stock would be nice, it would work then for HD and SHTF. I was thing along the lines of:

clip_image002_0015.jpg

Then mount a shell holder saddle on the left side of the gun, get a magazine extension and a 18.5" barrel, possibly a breacher barrel.

Any input??

I originally bought this gun to try skeet shooting but I dont think it will ever happen, I would get more out of it from target practice with a HD gun.

I'm running into the problem of the side saddle and the forend hitting each other. I need a shorter forend in order to use the side saddle. I currently have some cheap ATI pistol grip on my 870. I like it , but I think I would prefer either a folding (side or top) stock or one of <broken link removed> . Not necessarily that brand, but that style. Or a fixed stock with pistol grip.

never thought about the forend! looking at the folding stock i posted my forend would not even work... the folding looks nice and seems practical, but maybe its more of a hassle than what is worth. If I could get a good quality top folding stock that may be worth a shot as well.

I am in the process of converting my 870 for hd use. Midway sells a choate short l.o.p. stock for the 870 and 18" remington brand barrels for hd use. They also sell all manner of stock and pistol grip for the 870. They also sell the mosburg breacher barrels for much cheaper than the remington brand barrels. I've seen on gb, remington barrels for around 100.00 with the buy it now price so that's where I'll probably buy my barrel from.:D

never thought about the forend! looking at the folding stock i posted my forend would not even work... the folding looks nice and seems practical, but maybe its more of a hassle than what is worth. If I could get a good quality top folding stock that may be worth a shot as well.

Hogue makes a forend that, by measurements, should work with the side saddle I have. I like Hogue material and quality, so I will probably be getting one of those at some point.

My 870 has an ar style stock on it, it's so-so.
I'd forget the left side shell holder. It might hit you in the nose if you try to shoulder fire it (and actually aim).

I have a speed-feed stock on my hd 870. It's a black plastic stock that holds 4 shells in the back of the butt stock. seems well built. to clear the side saddle I sawed a notch around the for-end of the factory wood to clear. It's been this way for years & has held up well.

My primary shotgun wears both a Mesa Tactical stock adapter and a Mesa side saddle that holds six extra shells. I love them both but if I was to do it again, I'd actually grab a TacStar side saddle as the rubber inserts in the Mesa wear out very quickly and don't hold slugs very tightly.

If you plan on running a side saddle, I highly recommend getting an "LE forearm" as they are shorter. They come in both wood and synthetic varieties. While the longer fore ends are comfortable, I personally don't believe any pump shotgun should ever wear anything but the shorter units as the larger fore end as it can get in the way of the loading gate and can pinch your hand/fingers/clothing very easily.

The stock adapter on the other hand, well, that's amazing! This gun will eventually get a small optic and front night sight. Adding an ACE folder might happen, too, if they make one that is short enough for my tastes.

View attachment 210722
IMG_0180.jpg

Mike

My home defense 870 police magnum has a speed-feed witness protection grip, which is fun to shoot and easy on the forearm.

This is my setup
View attachment 210720

I have the Knoxx stock and forend on it. the stock greatly reduces recoil for quicker followup shots and shoulder preservation. the forend however, does not permit the use of the sidesaddle, so I cut it down, works fine now. I would recommend mesa tactical for the side saddle and possibly the stock, I know they make good stuff, as well as hogue. I would stay away from a vertical pistol grip for the forend as it will allow you to over torque the slide rails and damage your weapon.

2nd vote for the Knoxx recoil reduction stock. Not that you'd use 00/slugs/magnum rounds in HD probably, but that stock did make a difference.

I have one on my Mossberg. Had it for awhile with the Hogue pistol grip and forend, which was nice, but replaced the pistol grip with the Knoxx (kept the Hogue forend, which I really like) and then used a slip over Hogue cover on the plastic pistol grip that came with the stock.

I've had a Knoxx stock on my 870P for about five years now and wouldn't change it for anything else. I have a Surefire fore end but only because it was dirt cheap. If you are going to use a side saddle get the Mesa side saddle, the cheapies well get loose after some hard use.

remmy.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads