JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you don't mind could you copy and post it, minus any personal information of you or your kids of course.

I'll be sure and remind him to bring it home tomorrow. He gets home about the same time I leave for work and I have no way of scanning it in till I get home, so the earliest will be Tuesday. Hopefully the NRA will answer on Monday, if not I'm going to call them on Tuesday after I have the papers.

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

If it was me, I'd call the 2nd Amendment Foundation up in Bellevue, WA. Good folks, aggressive defenders of gun rights. THey are the folks who got us the victory in McDonald v. Chiago and the Heller case in DC>

Second Amendment Foundation Online

You might even try the Evergreen Freedom Foundation.

I'm a life mmeber of hte NRA and would contact the SAF before the NRA on this.

Good Luck & keep us posted.

OK, I got the paper back. It's not from HCI but an outfit called "The Children's Health Market, Inc. they're in Conn. and have 7 employees with sales of about $550,000/yr. The papers are copyrighted 2003 and the HCI data quoted is from 2002. I'm at work now but I'll scan it in and put the file on one of my sites.

It's kind of benign except for the misstated age and number of deaths attributed to guns. Which makes ANY of the data suspect. Repeat a lie enough times and people will believe it!!

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter

It sounds to me like "irate parent in the principal's face" time.

Choose your arguments wisely, though.:s0155:

I hope that you all are having a happy NW Winter: It finally just started here in Afghanistan!

I would definitly talk to the school principle about trying to level the conversation. also I would contact the local paper se if you could get some public scrutiny on it

There is no "level the conversation", because this is an effort by someone with an agenda to coerce everyonewith firearms into effectively disarming themselves - because it's "for the children"!

Have the principal cite the authority for this "request". He won't be able to - there is nothing in state law that supports it. State premption prevents any lower jurisdictions from doing it.

Better yet:
Have that 5th grader, in front of the school principal, take an AR-series weapon (you know, an Evil Black Gun): Clear it, disassemble it, reassemble it, do a function check, then explain and demonstrate immediate and remedial action. Have him explain what "safe firearm handling" is.

After the pink & fluffies pick themselves off the floor, they will likely claim that you have subverted the "poor child", and that he will grow up to be a "mass murderer".

It should be Fun!

Having that fifth grader do the demo on the AR is a BAD idea... unless it is more than a thousand feet from any public school property. Federal Gun Free Zone act... another travesty "for the criminals". Oops, wrong C word. Sorry... NOT

why don;t you tell the principal about the eleven year old girl in Albuquerque New Mexico who ran into her Mum's bedroom (she was home alone), grabbed Mum's pink .22 rifle, and confronted three housebreakers who ran off real fast. Police caught up with them quickly and all three, juveniles, are now incarcerated for burglary. The rifle and ammunition were out and available to this young girl. Story is here, with video of her demonstrating her skills for the camera.

Front Sight's Monday Blog: Would You Take Her Gun Away?

Tell the principle this sort of situation is precisly WHY you will maintain your readiness at all times. Also, teach your grandson proper safety and marksmanship techniques so he will know how to USE these tools wisely and accurately.

You are quite right: I thought about including something like "do it OFF school property", then didn't do so.

BTW: It could be done on school property IF it was part of a school-sanctioned firearms safety class or some such. I doubt though THAT would happen in this case.

Cheers!

Having that fifth grader do the demo on the AR is a BAD idea... unless it is more than a thousand feet from any public school property. Federal Gun Free Zone act... another travesty "for the criminals". Oops, wrong C word. Sorry... NOT

How does the Federal law effect the state laws? In WA there are exemptions to the "guns on school property" rules RCW 9.41.280: Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(c) Any person who is involved in a convention, showing, demonstration, lecture, or firearms safety course authorized by school authorities in which the firearms of collectors or instructors are handled or displayed;

I legally have guns on school property several times a month and I am not pick up kids. I know of other guns that reside on school property that belong to a private party.

those exemptions relate to CPL holders delivering/picking up their own children from the schools.....

besides, all it would take would be a hot-headed cop (no, we ain't got none a THEM in this state.....) to remember that federal law which I am certain could be construed to preempt state law. It would cost a LOT of money to find out once you were popped..... in any case, bringing a long gun onto school property for such a demonstration would be outside the exemptions...... I would not want to be the test case, at any rate. Unless, of course, the school were to "schedule" such a demo ahead of time.... as said above, rather unlikely. Particularly with the aforementioned paperwork already having been sent home with the student. Seems there is already a bit of a bias in evidence at that school.......

my grandson brought home

LINK

I did get an answer from the NRA, basically: take it up with the school.
2nd amendment Foundation has not yet answered.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter

considering the source of their "data" its a wonder it isn't MORE off base. Sure, a lot of kids under fourteen are killed by gunfire... mostly gang and crime activity, and a few cops dealing with those classes of activity. Nothing related to firearms in the home.
Their claim that gun violence will soon overtake car accidents as a cause of death is ridiculous... they are SO far apart its not even funny. Particularly when one considers that gun violence is on the decline in every area where guns are not banned or very strictly controlled, and motor vehicle deaths are rising slightly or steady (cops are too busy with their radar toys to exercise vigilance against unsafe driving habits, and so those habits are not deterred... leading to more accidents.).
Someone needs to set those goofballs straight on FACTS. Probably something to do with MAIG, Bloomie's illegal and farcical "gun control" movement.

GunCite.com has some good stats.

Here is the page on "gun accidents and children": GunCite-Gun Accidents

Cheers!

Problem with that link is that the data is from 2000 and it leaves out the almost 800,000 people killed every year by medical "mistakes"

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

Yes, but happily it's about the same age as the "data" in the paper!

Perhaps the right way, is to go now to those same sources and get the latest data they have published: FBI, DoJ, CDC, etc.

I don't have John Lott's latest book, but he may have covered all of that.

Cheers!

Actually, looking over the long list of causes of death, gun deaths for 14 and under are second from the lowest in frequency... the only thing lower is death by liquid poisoning. Bicycles, swimming, pedestrian travel, solid poison, electrocution, falls, riding in a car, flying in an airplane....... all are more dangerous than firearms.

So will someone please riddle me this: WHY is there more effort to abolish firearms than any, or even most, of those other causes put together?

The only answer I can think of is that its not about gun deaths... its about the firearms themselves. THEY want them out of OUR hands, "its for the children" is only a heartstring excuse.

If school money was expended to buy this material or to print it, it is illegal political activity. I'd be all over it. If a child is penalized for not returning the form it's worth getting a lawyer. In any case, it should be a "film at 11" type story.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top