JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK this could be a big nail in the coffin for this bill, at least for the unfinished receivers/frames portion of it.

I communicated with @LuckySG and my LGS. They both indicated there are no options for using form 4473 to transfer what the feds do not consider a firearm. SB 978 requires FFLs to use the same process to transfer unfinished receivers and frames as finished receivers and frames. The FFL can't just check some box on the form or they would be filing false information.

Anybody ( @BSG 75 ?) want to argue with me why I might be wrong about this before I write up testimony. If I am right we need to try and recruit FFLs to flood them with testimony and emails to Sen. Prozanski. He can still kill this bill or strip out the sections related to unfinished receivers and frames, if he wants to.

Two additional amendments to the bill were made at 08:15 this morning. Has anyone determined what was changed?

Judiciary Senate 2019 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

Also you have until the end of the day Thursday to submit testimony for today's hearing.

There is another work session Monday 4/8.
If that is -2 and -3 I believe there were changes made to accommodate some of the criticisms expressed in the comments made publicly and filed as exhibits. It looks like borrowing or lending a firearm while hunting (e.g. handing it to your partner to safely cross a fence) is no longer a "Transfer" requiring a trigger lock.

If that is -2 and -3 I believe there were changes made to accommodate some of the criticisms expressed in the comments made publicly and filed as exhibits. It looks like borrowing or lending a firearm while hunting (e.g. handing it to your partner to safely cross a fence) is no longer a "Transfer" requiring a trigger lock.

My beef with this stuff... letting a minor hunt. Is a 12-17 year old that has passed hunters safety required to be with an adult the whole time while hunting?

did anything change regarding unfinished receivers between -1, -2, -3?

Here is my testimony for the unfinished receiver aspect of the bill, what do you guys think ( @LuckySG )?

"I would like to address the restrictions proposed in SB 978 regarding "unfinished" receivers and frames. These regulations would be impossible to legally implement as FFL's would be unable to legally transfer them as SB 978 requires. Federal Agencies do not generally classify unfinished receivers or frames as firearms (unless they are over 80% complete) and do not provide an option for transferring them on the forms used to transfer firearms, specifically Form 4473. I spoke with two different FFL's to confirm this and they did confirm it. In order to use Form 4473 to transfer an unfinished receiver/frame they would have to falsify information on a Federal Form, which they will not do.

The serial number and manufacture identification requirements in Section 17 (3) would also be nearly impossible to implement as can be seen from the attached photos of unfinished receivers and frames. The serial number is the last step of the process when manufacturing a receiver or frame otherwise it would be milled off in the machining process.

Firearms built from unfinished frames and receivers are very rarely used in crimes and don't present a significant danger to the public. Despite what the April 2nd hearing testimony indicated, building a firearm from an unfinished receiver is a lot of work and I learned this from experience. It would be much easier and cheaper for a criminal to buy a complete black market firearm or steal one and scrub the serial number off. Removing a serial number could be done in seconds with a dremel tool or bench grinder.

There are many problems with this bill as have been illustrated in other testimony and no benefits to be gained. I request that the Committee abandoned SB 978. It would only serve to make honest Oregonians felons for no beneficial reason.

Please vote no or pull SB 978.

Thank you for your time.

taurus-gun-blank-400x270.jpg

ak47 billet receiver blank.jpg

Screenshot_20190403-085201.png

Last Edited:
That doesn't mean they won't attach it to another bill. Likely comment made them change for right now to a less nasty one until a later date. Plus Bill 6 is a hum dingle. It outlaws every semi auto and high capacity magazines. Not sure if Pelosi, or Boxer's brainchild. It has to also get through Senate and the Pres. At least it points out the Demorats are alive and plotting.

That doesn't mean they won't attach it to another bill. Likely comment made them change for right now to a less nasty one until a later date. Plus Bill 6 is a hum dingle. It outlaws every semi auto and high capacity magazines. Not sure if Pelosi, or Boxer's brainchild. It has to also get through Senate and the Pres. At least it points out the Demorats are alive and plotting.

The Dems just had a 9th Circuit Court Defeat where California's high capacity mag ban was ruled unconstitutional {Southern Cali Jurisdiction]. Maybe awaiting a stay, but the legal research and legal analysis was great! The legal tide against high capacity bans is changing for pro-gun, science based law and policy making. The 9th Superior court would have to over turn, but that might pave the way to the Supreme's. Which the anti's may not want to go that route.

Here is my testimony for the unfinished receiver aspect of the bill, what do you guys think ( @LuckySG )?

View attachment 565826

I would maybe crop out the top of the 0% receiver. Giving them a website to go to might give them more ideas to freak out about.

Also, further thinking about it, I added to my list that TV shows and movie sets that setup shop in Oregon would also be in violation as many props use non-guns (ie.e non-functioning unfinished receivers) that would make their possessors felons under the law.

They would have to go door to door, and void all Oaths State and Federal Constitutions. Even if they had the man power, doubt if they could search realistically. Even if using UN troops!
They may get the first few, but it could end up being a bloodbath after that. Make no mistake the Oregon Legislature has declared war against the Constitution this session and certainly against gun owners... Might just be April 18, 1775 all over again, but on the west coast this time...

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews