JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had a hawk 982 and a relatively recent production Remington 870 Express.

Between the two, I had problems with the Remington. So I sold it.

For what that's worth I mean. So far as I've been able to tell, the Hawk is made much more nicely than the Remington

Honestly, I don't even think it's worth selling. Like, I wouldn't bother selling mine, because it's too nice for how little I'd be selling it for, even at full retail price. I've got a 982 and a Nova Tactical, and I'm probably going to end up selling the Nova since I like the 982 more.

I bought mine brand new for $180. Used they are a $100 gun. They are built like tanks, just keep it as a trunk/truck gun. It is nice to have durable, reliable and cheap guns on hand.

Some parts in the Hawk are spot-welded in place and aren't easily fixed if broken. It is like an 870 with a lot of manufacturing shortcuts. Resale is non-existant and it is pretty much disposable if it breaks because the low value vs any gunsmith time at $50+ per hour. Get an older Remington, they are better built, better finished and have a slew of parts if you want to customize.
"There's an old saying with tools: 'Buy once, cry once'," Dad said. "Of course, that applies to just about everything in life." Some things you just shouldn't cheap out on, like tools, or shoes. -

Get an older Remington, they are better built, better finished and have a slew of parts if you want to customize.

+1 to this

In my opinion, older pre-cerberus remington > hawk > current remington. If only for the fact that, if a remington made 870 breaks, then the cost of the gun plus the repair bill could buy you two hawks :p

Honestly, I don't even think it's worth selling. Like, I wouldn't bother selling mine, because it's too nice for how little I'd be selling it for, even at full retail price. I've got a 982 and a Nova Tactical, and I'm probably going to end up selling the Nova since I like the 982 more.

This is exactly why I hold onto my NEF Pardners. I think I picked them up for around $50 each?

They are chines knock offs of 870s. They are cheaper for a reason.

Is this a life or death tool? If yes, is a knock off worth your life?

I have one (Hawk 982) and while I have not fired it, I have cycled it at least 7500 times, maybe 10,000. about 100 times a day for 3 months. It cycles reliably and I expect it will shoot reliably. I got mine in a promotion and would not have bought it outright had I a choice. Now that I have cleaned it up so to speak I think its okay. I am not a shotgun lover, but if I needed a shotgun for protection I would use my Mossberg 930.... and I might have the kinks worked out of my Remington 887. Too unmotivated to go shoot it to see.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top