JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had a hawk 982 and a relatively recent production Remington 870 Express.

Between the two, I had problems with the Remington. So I sold it.

For what that's worth I mean. So far as I've been able to tell, the Hawk is made much more nicely than the Remington

Honestly, I don't even think it's worth selling. Like, I wouldn't bother selling mine, because it's too nice for how little I'd be selling it for, even at full retail price. I've got a 982 and a Nova Tactical, and I'm probably going to end up selling the Nova since I like the 982 more.

I bought mine brand new for $180. Used they are a $100 gun. They are built like tanks, just keep it as a trunk/truck gun. It is nice to have durable, reliable and cheap guns on hand.

Some parts in the Hawk are spot-welded in place and aren't easily fixed if broken. It is like an 870 with a lot of manufacturing shortcuts. Resale is non-existant and it is pretty much disposable if it breaks because the low value vs any gunsmith time at $50+ per hour. Get an older Remington, they are better built, better finished and have a slew of parts if you want to customize.
"There's an old saying with tools: 'Buy once, cry once'," Dad said. "Of course, that applies to just about everything in life." Some things you just shouldn't cheap out on, like tools, or shoes. -

Get an older Remington, they are better built, better finished and have a slew of parts if you want to customize.

+1 to this

In my opinion, older pre-cerberus remington > hawk > current remington. If only for the fact that, if a remington made 870 breaks, then the cost of the gun plus the repair bill could buy you two hawks :p

Honestly, I don't even think it's worth selling. Like, I wouldn't bother selling mine, because it's too nice for how little I'd be selling it for, even at full retail price. I've got a 982 and a Nova Tactical, and I'm probably going to end up selling the Nova since I like the 982 more.

This is exactly why I hold onto my NEF Pardners. I think I picked them up for around $50 each?

They are chines knock offs of 870s. They are cheaper for a reason.

Is this a life or death tool? If yes, is a knock off worth your life?

I have one (Hawk 982) and while I have not fired it, I have cycled it at least 7500 times, maybe 10,000. about 100 times a day for 3 months. It cycles reliably and I expect it will shoot reliably. I got mine in a promotion and would not have bought it outright had I a choice. Now that I have cleaned it up so to speak I think its okay. I am not a shotgun lover, but if I needed a shotgun for protection I would use my Mossberg 930.... and I might have the kinks worked out of my Remington 887. Too unmotivated to go shoot it to see.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top