JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
have draco ak pistol. NO I HAVE NOT ADDED STOCK and will not until i receive my stamp etc. i'm also collecting parts to make it 922r compliant for the time when it becomes a rifle.

Will the clackamas county sheriff sign off on it and is there anyone with experience with clackamas county that can tell me more about the process?

so, i just call them and ask them to sign off on me making an SBR or is there a more formal protocol?

yes i'm legal age 31, i have a squeaky clean record and haven't even had any tickets for years, i have a chl, i have taken formal firearms training, reason i want the gun is collecting and i want to use it at local (in-state) multi-gun competitions (yes i'm aware that reduced velocity may hinder me at longer ranges but let's face it SBR's are cool).

thanks in advance.

I did tax stamp on a Silencerco Sparrow last year and would like to do an SBR here realy soon (wish i would've done that before the wait with the feds turned into a 9-12 month wait).

The first step is to fill out both copies of your forms filled out as if you're ready to turn into the feds. You then go to the Clackamas County sherrifs office/public shooting range and have the lady just inside the door on your left do your two FBI certified copies of your full finger prints ($5 or $15 each). Then while you are there ask that person doing your finger prints where you can turn your NFA paper work into. There were to ladies handling it when i went through this mess. You may have to go back later if they are out of theboffice; but...when you sit down with them they may ask you a few questions to make sure you're a legit citizen or something but dont sweat it your almost there...then you cough up another $30 or $35 signing fee (bribe). She then takes your NFA paper work and goes and makes a copy for their records as well as enter all your data into a comouterised database the county runs. Wait 2 to 3 weeks and one of the ladies handling NFA paper work will call you and let you know when you can pick it up from them (they may make copies after). It will have a stamo on it with the Sheriff's name, phone number, and his signature on the bottom. Now your ready to mail both copies as well as fingure prints into the feds, and prepare for a long wait.

I did tax stamp on a Silencerco Sparrow last year and would like to do an SBR here realy soon (wish i would've done that before the wait with the feds turned into a 9-12 month wait).

The first step is to fill out both copies of your forms filled out as if you're ready to turn into the feds. You then go to the Clackamas County sherrifs office/public shooting range and have the lady just inside the door on your left do your two FBI certified copies of your full finger prints ($5 or $15 each). Then while you are there ask that person doing your finger prints where you can turn your NFA paper work into. There were to ladies handling it when i went through this mess. You may have to go back later if they are out of theboffice; but...when you sit down with them they may ask you a few questions to make sure you're a legit citizen or something but dont sweat it your almost there...then you cough up another $30 or $35 signing fee (bribe). She then takes your NFA paper work and goes and makes a copy for their records as well as enter all your data into a comouterised database the county runs. Wait 2 to 3 weeks and one of the ladies handling NFA paper work will call you and let you know when you can pick it up from them (they may make copies after). It will have a stamo on it with the Sheriff's name, phone number, and his signature on the bottom. Now your ready to mail both copies as well as fingure prints into the feds, and prepare for a long wait.

That sounds like a lot of time on your end going here and there. Now you want to do another one so you need to run around again. Would it not have been better the first time to just do a trust? I think if you are planning more than one NFA item the trust is the way to go. Pay once for the trust and you are done.

That sounds like a lot of time on your end going here and there. Now you want to do another one so you need to run around again. Would it not have been better the first time to just do a trust? I think if you are planning more than one NFA item the trust is the way to go. Pay once for the trust and you are done.

Well you do still have to file paper work for each weapon you are tranfering onto the trust which is still $200 for each; with the new NFA trust law taking effect it may be more of a pain than the individual transfers if you have more than a couple people on the trust.

I did however seriously debate the trust route last year to avoid an extra stop in the road, but at the time i wasn't planning on SBR'ing the Charger; I got bit by the NFA bug since then. That is something to take into account i suppose, i know i'm not the only person in the world that's happened to.

However; as far as NFA trust go, you must be unaware that the Feds are tired of people having control of these weapons without actually going through a background check. They are changing the law so that when you submit any NFA paper work through a trust you now (when law takes effect) must include some form a paper work on each member of the trust as well as finger prints for their FBI background check. If you're the lone person on a trust i guess it isnt really a huge amount of extra work; but if you and all your brothers and cousins are on the trust so they can borrow your SBR on the weekends, you now have alot of extra paper work to collect and turn in. I'm not sure though on adding new members to the trust; I can only presume the FEDs thought of that and you probably will have to submit them for a FBI background check as well prior to adding them. You may (if I'm not mistaken) need your sherrif or LEO to sign off on all future trust transfers as well. If a trust is what you are debating over i would do you own research as i am no lawyer and not even a self proclaimed expert.

For more info go to the NFA forums on this very site There has been a forum going on it for awhile. Though i just saw it myself recently. I was surprised when i heard about the law change. It just gives everyone more frigging hoops to jump through.

Well you do still have to file paper work for each weapon you are tranfering onto the trust which is still $200 for each; with the new NFA trust law taking effect it may be more of a pain than the individual transfers if you have more than a couple people on the trust.

I did however seriously debate the trust route last year to avoid an extra stop in the road, but at the time i wasn't planning on SBR'ing the Charger; I got bit by the NFA bug since then. That is something to take into account i suppose, i know i'm not the only person in the world that's happened to.

However; as far as NFA trust go, you must be unaware that the Feds are tired of people having control of these weapons without actually going through a background check. They are changing the law so that when you submit any NFA paper work through a trust you now (when law takes effect) must include some form a paper work on each member of the trust as well as finger prints for their FBI background check. If you're the lone person on a trust i guess it isnt really a huge amount of extra work; but if you and all your brothers and cousins are on the trust so they can borrow your SBR on the weekends, you now have alot of extra paper work to collect and turn in. I'm not sure though on adding new members to the trust; I can only presume the FEDs thought of that and you probably will have to submit them for a FBI background check as well prior to adding them. You may (if I'm not mistaken) need your sherrif or LEO to sign off on all future trust transfers as well. If a trust is what you are debating over i would do you own research as i am no lawyer and not even a self proclaimed expert.

For more info go to the NFA forums on this very site There has been a forum going on it for awhile. Though i just saw it myself recently. I was surprised when i heard about the law change. It just gives everyone more frigging hoops to jump through.

Oh I know about the proposed changes. I just look at the price of the trust as to the money you have to pay each time you need to get the LEO sign off. Also the 200 is always going to happen either way. I just know NFA items are like chips cant have just one;) Once you are bitten by the bug....

Good luck on the SBR build. Hopefully they are coming to WA state real soon....

I went the trust way just as it is needed to do Eforms and also a way of leaving them to someone. I mean I really don't care as I will be gone but nice to leave them for the son or ?

thanks for the informative response. i have an appointment set with sandy PD for my prints and they said i could present the form 1 at that time. the clerk i spoke with was a bit taken aback at first when i answered her question as what the stamp was for but after waiting on hold for a few minutes while she spoke to her supervisor she came back on the line polite and matter-of-fact.

so, we'll see how sandy PD CLEO is about such things... :/

Don't forget the 2 passport sized photos you'll need for a individual Form 1 or Form 4.

Going with a trust doesn't necessarily allow you to bypass a background. If you are buying from a dealer you still get to do the background check when you go to pickup your NFA item. I did when I picked up my Sparrow last month.

have draco ak pistol. NO I HAVE NOT ADDED STOCK and will not until i receive my stamp etc. i'm also collecting parts to make it 922r compliant for the time when it becomes a rifle.

Will the clackamas county sheriff sign off on it and is there anyone with experience with clackamas county that can tell me more about the process?

so, i just call them and ask them to sign off on me making an SBR or is there a more formal protocol?

yes i'm legal age 31, i have a squeaky clean record and haven't even had any tickets for years, i have a chl, i have taken formal firearms training, reason i want the gun is collecting and i want to use it at local (in-state) multi-gun competitions (yes i'm aware that reduced velocity may hinder me at longer ranges but let's face it SBR's are cool).

thanks in advance.

are you converting to rifle then sbr? pretty sure 922r doesn' apply to sbr

are you converting to rifle then sbr? pretty sure 922r doesn' apply to sbr

922R applies to Semi auto rifles and shotguns. If he is converting this AK pistol into an SBR then it 'may' apply as SBR (not meaning to be an SOB) does stand for Short Barreled Rifle.

Just because you have an NFA stamp doesnt mean you're except from the gun laws of your choosing. You certanly couldn't convert an SBR to full auto or make it a integrated suppressed rifle and expect not to get looked at funny by the ATF.

Then again I only thought 922R applied to the importation of Firearms, to cut back on the huge stock pile of Soviet Era firearms that were available for a good long while.

So who knows I guess.

Goodluck all on the future builds, just ordered myself a Noveske lower from Ranier Arms this afternoon. Just a waiting game to begin the next build now. Not to highjack the thread but anyone have experience with anyone in the Portland Area that does a good SBR engraving job?

922R applies to Semi auto rifles and shotguns. If he is converting this AK pistol into an SBR then it 'may' apply as SBR (not meaning to be an SOB) does stand for Short Barreled Rifle.....
Not to highjack the thread but anyone have experience with anyone in the Portland Area that does a good SBR engraving job?

i was under the impression that 922r still applied but i guess the form 1 said manufacturing a firearm so maybe that means it's now made in america???

as far as engraving the Military Arms Channel said to just use the existing serial numbers already found on the gun so wouldn't that make engraving a moot point??? i guess i'll find out.
How to fill out BATF paperwork for a NFA firearm - YouTube

CLEO for city of sandy oregon signed off same day so that was much more painless than i thought and there wasn't a fee (they were $30- for 2 finger print cards though).

i didn't go the trust route because trusts, corporations etc don't have the same rights as people and it seems that restricting which trusts or companies can own nfa stuff would have more chance of passing new restrictions and/or retroactive confiscation firearms/items registered to individuals with rights.

i was under the impression that 922r still applied but i guess the form 1 said manufacturing a firearm so maybe that means it's now made in america???

as far as engraving the Military Arms Channel said to just use the existing serial numbers already found on the gun so wouldn't that make engraving a moot point??? i guess i'll find out.

Congrats on your signature! Sounds way less painful than it was with Clackamas and no signature fee(official bribe)? That a good sherrif's office, allowing people to easily exercise their second amendment right is getting rarer and rarer these days.

As far as the engraving goes, you are correct your serial number stays the same, however when manufactering a firearm (Form 1) you must engrave the name, city, and state of whoever made the thing. If you are making (assembling) then your name would be engraved on it (another reason some go the trust route as they may sell better later without a personalized name engraved perminatly on the receiver) or if you had a class three dealer make the thing (assemble) they would engrave their business name and ciry and state (transfer back tobyou would be on a form 4 however not a form 1). I've also read that some people engrave the barrel instead of the receiver, but then you have to keep that same barrel mounted, or re-engrave each barrel used as well if changing barrels/calibers (probably not on your AK i guess).

Quick clarification, you're "making" an NFA firearm, not "manufacturing" it; there is a difference in the law.

You still use the issued serial number if one is present, but you will need to engrave your maker's information (name and city/state) on the firearm. Bye Engraving on SW Barbur Blvd is the go-to place in the Portland area for NFA engraving. Make sure the lettering is at least 1/8" high and engraved .003" deep.

922R applies to Semi auto rifles and shotguns. If he is converting this AK pistol into an SBR then it 'may' apply as SBR (not meaning to be an SOB) does stand for Short Barreled Rifle.

Just because you have an NFA stamp doesnt mean you're except from the gun laws of your choosing. You certanly couldn't convert an SBR to full auto or make it a integrated suppressed rifle and expect not to get looked at funny by the ATF.

Then again I only thought 922R applied to the importation of Firearms, to cut back on the huge stock pile of Soviet Era firearms that were available for a good long while.

So who knows I guess.

Goodluck all on the future builds, just ordered myself a Noveske lower from Ranier Arms this afternoon. Just a waiting game to begin the next build now. Not to highjack the thread but anyone have experience with anyone in the Portland Area that does a good SBR engraving job?

922r applies to "sporting rifles and shotguns" which NFA is not considered. After speaking with several SOT they all agree that 922r does not apply but thats there interpretation

http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/atf_letter3.txt

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top