JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone experienced delayed background check on private sales at a FFL dealer? The reason I am asking this question is that it seems every seller assumes that background check goes through immediately. What would you do if it does not? Should buyer pay after his/her background check clears? Does FFL holds the gun until the background check comes back?

Washington state - buying a "semi-rifle" - BGC (w/delay?) + 10 days. FFL holds.
Washington state - BGC delay - FFL holds. You return to pick up.

The sale happens and then its on the buyer to complete the background check.

I'm Oregon - but this is my experience with Washington buyers.
Only bought Washington handguns in Oregon, so - no idea there.

So, buyer pays to the seller, and then FFL shop holds the gun until background check clears? How often this happens?

For a semi-rifle, 10 days - every sale. And that's after the BGC clears.
For a regular BGC it could take minutes or hours. It's a crap shoot sometimes.
Is it a first BGC? Do you use a second form of ID? Is it a busy day? Is there a wanted person with a name similar to yours?

Did a thing Sunday - went through in 30 minutes.

Many people from my shooting range purchased their bolt action rifles at gun shops, and most of them had their background check delayed. I purchased a bolt action from this forum member, and my background check cleared immediately. Could the reason be in which WA county background check was conduced? Seems that in King county (Seattle area) background checks are more often delayed than in more rural counties.

Many people from my shooting range purchased their bolt action rifles at gun shops, and most of them had their background check delayed. I purchased a bolt action from this forum member, and my background check cleared immediately. Could the reason be in which WA county background check was conduced? Seems that in King county (Seattle area) background checks are more often delayed than in more rural counties.
That is probably what's happening. I do know Seattle shops have been slammed.
And since you've already cleared quickly once - that's a good sign. But anything can happen.
I use my chl as a second ID - some use their SS#. If you have a very common name these sometimes help.

If you have a chl it usually will clear bgg in a few min if you dont it could be days CD or weeks I just waited 14 days in clackamas oregon there is 5 to 10thousand peoplevolin line on average

If you have a chl it usually will clear bgg in a few min if you dont it could be days CD or weeks I just waited 14 days in clackamas oregon there is 5 to 10thousand peoplevolin line on average

CHL bump in the background check line is only applicable to Oregon. For Oregonians. As far as I know.

Oregon's CHL is tied to the holders drivers license. No need to use a second ID & such, unless a more common family name.

I've not experienced a delay purchasing any firearm since 2000, until a purchase in Washington state a week and a half ago.

I paid the seller for the rifle. The FFL held onto it, just as they should. (Many won't, but that's because they don't put it in their book until after the sale is completed. Kinda fishy....) I returned a few days later and retrieved the rifle from the FFL.

I purchased a semi-auto pistol, lever-action rifle, and semi-auto shotgun in November and December. I have my WA State CPL.
  • Short wait on the semi-auto pistol. This was expected based on the newer rules for WA State.
  • No delay on the lever-action rifle. I took it home immediately because I have a CPL.
  • No delay on the semi-auto shotgun. I took it home immediately because I have a CPL. Surprisingly, the newer WA State laws don't seem to encompass semi-auto shotguns.

I live in Clark County, WA, but bought a revolver (private sale) in King County in December 2020. I paid on the spot and the FFL held the firearm until Clark County completed the BGC. The "proceed" didn't come through until 10 days later.

In contrast, I have previously purchased semi-auto pistols, a pump shotgun, and another revolver in Clark County during the 10 years that I've lived in WA and held a WA CPL. No previous BGC took longer than 20 minutes, and I always walked out of the store that same day with my new firearm.

The difference this most recent time? Two things, apparently. The CPL is no longer worth spit during the BGC process in WA, and the BGC for my purchase in King County had to be conducted by my home county.

Last Edited:
To keep this going so I can be included in understanding the process in Oregon. Many buyers and sellers travel to sellers town to an agreed ffl to compete sale. Buyer doesn't want to come back later once check is complete. They want their $$ and go home. Does FFL charge to hold gun or make seller take home to wait. Do some ffls deny holding someone else's gun (what's In it for them?)

I have a couple guns to sell and need to be educated on processes.

This gets muddled quite a bit, the way the law is currently written (in regards to pistols) is that there is a waiting period for the county you reside in to do the background check.

If the FFL doesn't hear back from the county In question within 10 working days, not counting the day of the purchase. They are supposed to relinquish the paid for pistol at that time.

I did a recent transfer with a fellow member at the Marksman in Puyallup for a semi auto "assault" rifle and their policies state they don't hold onto guns while waiting for the background check to clear. Also their policy of making you ride out the semi auto rifle waiting period for 17 vs the state min. of 10 days is making me wonder why. Plus they charge you if you want them to hold onto the firearm while waiting for your background to clear with the private transfer/sale. Last place I'll do a transfer again if they are going to pull that kind crap.

Note: My beef is with this shop, not the member I dealt with personally as he was great to deal with and was cordial.

20210331_202556.jpg

So, buyer pays to the seller, and then FFL shop holds the gun until background check clears? How often this happens?

When I drive up to Washington (from OR) to sell a Washington buyer a firearm at their Washington FFL, I get paid once the buyer accepts the weapon as good to go and the FFL has my information. I leave after I'm paid regardless of what the conversation is between the buyer and the FFL from that point on.
If I shipped it to the buyer in Washington (or any other state), it would basically be the same circumstance of being paid first and then the buyer and FFL figure it out.

To keep this going so I can be included in understanding the process in Oregon. Many buyers and sellers travel to sellers town to an agreed ffl to compete sale. Buyer doesn't want to come back later once check is complete. They want their $$ and go home. Does FFL charge to hold gun or make seller take home to wait. Do some ffls deny holding someone else's gun (what's In it for them?)

I have a couple guns to sell and need to be educated on processes.

Normal times in Oregon, FFL holds the firearm until background check clears.

Buyer waits until clear.

If buyer has a concealed handgun license (CHL), wait isn't long. As in minutes. This system wasn't working over the summer due to the State Police having a computer issue. Now resolved.

If buyer DOES NOT have a CHL, wait may be random near instant, or more likely placed at the end of the queue. Days.

These are not normal times, so FFL's may or MAY NOT hold the firearm until background check clears. Check with your prospective FFL's before setting up your sale in regards to what they are doing & fees.

Normal times in Oregon, FFL holds the firearm until background check clears.

Buyer waits until clear.

If buyer has a concealed handgun license (CHL), wait isn't long. As in minutes. This system wasn't working over the summer due to the State Police having a computer issue. Now resolved.

If buyer DOES NOT have a CHL, wait may be random near instant, or more likely placed at the end of the queue. Days.

These are not normal times, so FFL's may or MAY NOT hold the firearm until background check clears. Check with your prospective FFL's before setting up your sale in regards to what they are doing & fees.
I have heard 3 and 10 days in Oregon ad law. My experience last fall at Bimart was when my time came I would get Handgun. I paid and got receipt and they held it. I was no. 4600 on waiting list. They predicted 21 days. Got called at 14 days.

On a private sale at FFL I can understand wait due to flood of sales. My question is what does an out of town buyer expect In regards to possession and when. Small chance buyer gets rejected. Another scenario I am curious about as seller.

Great advise thank you. I will contact the local FFL I would like to use.

I bought a semi shotgun in Wa last fall, picked it up the following morning as the system was closed for the day. Just bought a semi auto pistol two weeks ago (private sale using WGS shop in Tacoma) I picked the gun up on day ten with the background approval. How it worked (sorry if its redundant) We met there, I checked the gun out and paid the seller, he left and the shop held the gun until the approval came back. I then picked up the gun.
Something I have been wondering about is what happens if the buyer does not receive approval? Would the seller then give the money back or tough luck?? And what happens with the gun shop that actually has the gun, do they keep it or?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top