JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When 114 is 6ft deep in a pine box, we should convoy down to Burns for a Harney County appreciation day. I've never been there or had a reason to drive the 5hrs.

While no Oregonian leader seemed to care, the one that stood up came from the least likely place. I think it's a big deal. I'll spend a night in the Days Inn, Best Western or whatever they have down there, to say thanks.

Maybe make Appreciation Day in a warmer month.

Screenshot (197).png

Actually, it should not be surprising at all that it would be the secessionist side of the state that would do all the standing up to fight such a catastrophe as 114. And, I don't think those folks over there would appreciate a convoy of West-siders invading their Jefferson-ness. To them, West-siders all look the same.

Actually, it should not be surprising at all that it would be the secessionist side of the state that would do all the standing up to fight such a catastrophe as 114. And, I don't think those folks over there would appreciate a convoy of West-siders invading their Jefferson-ness. To them, West-siders all look the same.
Yes. Most small towns hate full hotels and restaurants filled with thankful people. I promise not to wear my black skinny jeans or demand my pronouns be recognized.

There's not quite 8,000 people in the whole county. As of 2020.

Heck, I don't know? Seems to me the local eateries and gas station might appreciate the biz? The Rory & Ryan Inn would I'd think? We did a Central Oregon road trip last year. We didn't do Burns but did from near John Day to Bend/La Pine and home. We learned May is a beautiful time to go. No crowd and rates are low.

When 114 is 6ft deep in a pine box, we should convoy down to Burns for a Harney County appreciation day. I've never been there or had a reason to drive the 5hrs.

While no Oregonian leader seemed to care, the one that stood up came from the least likely place. I think it's a big deal. I'll spend a night in the Days Inn, Best Western or whatever they have down there, to say thanks.
Good idea! In the meantime I celebrated with a donation to GOA. They are "getting sh*t done" as they say.

Given the sheer topological differences (Burns area is close to the elevation of the top of Santiam Pass) there are considerable life style challenges differing from the I-5 flat low-lands.

I like most people, are not familiar with that area. Burns is the town that comes up most often. If there is a party spot in Harney, let's hear about it.

I'm thinking Harney County won't appreciate you appreciating them. Nothing personal, they got other things to do like hunt'n, fish'n and running a ranch.
I didn't feel anything negative from people in Burns or Crane when we were out there shooting rats. Everyone at hotels, restaurants, and gas stations were friendly. Crane Store and Cafe was packed with shooters eating breakfast. The owner didn't seem upset that people were spending their money there and neither did the outfitters. Never had any indication that we weren't welcome. Guess some people act differently.

Ok, funny story time. Back in 2001 I went on my first rabbit and rat trip, I was 21 also. We were staying at a relative's place near Crane, that first night we went to the local bar in town. No beers on tap, no shots, just what was in cans, my kind of place. But, one of the guys who was with us said to me, we should head into town and see what's going on. An old timer right on que leaned over and said, "Son, this is town and this is what's going on". We all about died laughing at our friend. He thought we were on the outskirts of Crane, LOL.

I didn't feel anything negative from people in Burns or Crane when we were out there shooting rats. Everyone at hotels, restaurants, and gas stations were friendly. Crane Store and Cafe was packed with shooters eating breakfast. The owner didn't seem upset that people were spending their money there and neither did the outfitters. Never had any indication that we weren't welcome. Guess some people act differently.
In my times over there I'd say you are right, conversations at the local cafe regarding outdoor activities are well received. I was over there plying my wares during the Chinese Flu. No one wore a mask and when a dude hunter from California asked why the response was F___ Comrade Kate, we're a long ways from Salem. Valley politics has no pull over there they just do what's right and get on with life, no thanks needed.

The catch phrase for those of us outside of Harney county is "from the outside world." That being said, I do appreciate what is happening from there. Will watch with great interest.

Here's my Harney County story from 40+ year ago:

I was running a well drilling machine in Catlow Valley. Friday evening and I needed a three cornered file. By the time I got to town no stores open. I asked around and there was an auto repair shop in Hines that might have one. I checked and indeed there was a three cornered file on the bench but the owner was not there. I was told I could find him at Egan's Tavern. Goes by the name of "Huggy Bear." I walked into the Tav and it was easy to spot him, he fit the profile. I told him who I was and what I needed. He had never met me but he said go ahead and take the file and use it and drop it back to him when I was finished with it. I brought it back the following week.

The shop was wide open and outside the tavern were several pick-ups with rifles in the racks and sometime a revolver laying on the dash. Most of them had the windows open.

Welcome to Harney county late '70's.

P. S. If you go there, be sure and wave to every oncoming vehicle.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews