JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife and I recently attained our CHL and would like to take a few courses on the proper use of one (Stances, home defense, low light shooting, etc). We are both novices and want to feel extremely comfortable with our handguns before we start carrying. Can anyone recommend a good instructor in the Bend/Redmond Oregon area?

Thank you all in advance.

Can't say for your area, but I highly recommend Front Sight in Las Vegas area. Completed a 4 day defensive course last year, and going to go back again soon for next level course. Wife going this time too.

This sounds really self serving and self promoting but we are a forum sponsor so I guess I should say something..we have quite a number of students traveling from the Boise, Baker City, and yes, the Bend/Redmond area - A lot in fact! A couple of our staff travel over from Bend to teach our courses. We offer somewhere in the neighborhood of 25+ courses including topics you just listed. We train quite a few husband/wife teams and in our intermedate level courses will specifically introduce "Team Tactics" to address the challenges and leverage points of having two armed indivduals working together as a team.

We are not "an instructor" but rather a dedicated Defensive Small Arms Academy - with our own private Academy range - we are not shooting in some rock pit or in somebody's pasture. Sometimes we just not taken as seriously because we're here in the Northwest (aka in the backyard) but we do have folks traveling as far away as New York, New Jersey, Canada, and further to train with us. We're starting our 16th year in business and have zero firearm safety related incidents and hope to continue on this trend.

One of the mods here attended a DH1 course a few years ago and wrote a non-solicited article which you might find valuable. He did a fine job of capturing some photos as well - http://www.northwestfirearms.com/fi...training-day-ofa-oregon-firearms-academy.html

Also we have a dedicated forum section down below with the rest of the sponsors. There is a sticky labeled "Extra Extra Read All About It in the News" which other articles about our facility and training.

You're welcome to peruse our website and check us out. Our courses fill rather quickly after the holidays so if there is something you see you want to jump in on then call our office and leave a message (we're running light until Jan) or email us at [email protected]

You're welcome to email me (please don't PM me as I cannot get PMs out of the office) and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Thanks for your consideration.

Dan

If I was looking for a one day class, OFA would be my choice. For a multi-day couse, Thunder Ranch is my first choice. I live in Bend and was not disappointed in either school when I took their courses. Right now I'm trying to convince my father to dothe OFA dh1 this next year with me...

I've done 4 courses at OFA ... 3 handgun and one defensive carbine. I can unequivocally say that time spent at OFA will be very rewarding and training money very well spent. Like others, I would love to be able to make the trip to Lakeview and train with the Thunder Ranch staff. Many of the OFA instructors spend lots and lots of time at TR and so a course at OFA is likely very heavily influenced by TR. For a fraction of the cost OFA will give you a good dose of Clint.

At any rate, from experience I can highly recommend OFA. I feel very lucky to have a great training place only 1.5 hours away. Now, if I just had more disposable income to spend on training!!!

Can't say enough good things about OFA. I live 5 hours away and have taken DH1, 2, 3, Advanced Handgun Tactics, Defensive Carbine and Low Light Handgun. Top notch all.
I'm a reserve deputy sheriff and NRA certified pistol instructor and I have learned a ton at OFA and will keep returning. Great for first-timers and experienced shooters alike. If you or your wife want to take the next step of ownership and learn how to carry/fight with your pistol I can't think of a better place to start - Especially when you look at "bang" for your buck. Very unintimidating, relaxed atmosphere while being very professional and safety and results oriented.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top