JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wanted Ad Type
  1. Want to Buy
Manufacturer
Other / Not Listed
Caliber
45 ACP
City
Vancouver
State
Washington
I'm loosely looking for something solid but affordable that shoots 45.

I'm NEW. I don't have any guns in my possession. I am in the FFL transfer process for a 9mm Sig P320 so my 9mm itch will be covered.

I just keep thinking I'll want something in 45.
Nothing expensive just something for practice/recreation .

Ideas? Offers? Suggestions?

Are any online auction sites legit or should I check out some pawn shops or gun stores?

As I said, I'm new ;)

Hoping to get into hunting as well. Hopefully find some hunting buddies here in Wa.

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
The 45 is a great edition to your arsenal. While I don't own this particular brand (mine is a Walther PPQ) but years ago when researching I found many people and reviews that would suggest a Rock Island Armory is a great choice for a 1911 style. Prices are good, quality is fair and they will stand behind their products. Since they are Mil-Spec, you can always change components later as desired. Here is link to site I've used in the past that usually has decent prices (not sure if their the cheapest but an example):

Good luck with your selection process!

In regards to the 1911 design...

One can get a pistol that is all tricked out or one that is bare bones so to speak....
As well as anything in between.

I would suggest getting a bare bones basic model.
Shoot it a lot as is...then get the extras for it.
That way you can get the additions that you want and actually use , and not what someone else likes or thinks that you will use.
Andy

Last Edited:
The model 1911 in 45 acp is the handgun all others are compared to, so you can't really go wrong with one of those. Here's another vote for the Rock Island brand, I've got two of them. One in 38 Super and my bowling pin gun in 45 acp.

Hi-point 45acp, people make fun of them but they work great and handle well. They have a lifetime replacement warranty if it breaks and they are under $200. It's a good intro gun for a low cost.

Ruger P90, if you can find one.

CB99DE2B-84B7-41E7-A4EF-3BB660C5836B.jpeg

I'm NEW. I don't have any guns in my possession. I am in the FFL transfer process for a 9mm Sig P320 so my 9mm itch will be covered.

Are any online auction sites legit or should I check out some pawn shops or gun stores?

As I said, I'm new ;)

Hoping to get into hunting as well. Hopefully find some hunting buddies here in Wa.
Maybe a Glock 21? Check the prices on .45 ammo because unless you love the caliber or have a stock of unused .45 ammo is expensive! I personally don't want a gun that I cannot get ammo for.

Hi-point 45acp, people make fun of them but they work great and handle well. They have a lifetime replacement warranty if it breaks and they are under $200. It's a good intro gun for a low cost.
Demolition ranch tried to blow a bunch up with barrel obstructions of different sorts and had a hard time doing so. I know these have a following of sorts but to my taste they are ugly and don't look ergonomic at all. Be prepared to get a lot of crap from fellow shooters about how foolish you were if you do decide to buy one of them.

Demolition ranch tried to blow a bunch up with barrel obstructions of different sorts and had a hard time doing so. I know these have a following of sorts but to my taste they are ugly and don't look ergonomic at all. Be prepared to get a lot of crap from fellow shooters about how foolish you were if you do decide to buy one of them.
I'll openly admit I have one and I love it, in the 12+ years I've had it, its never failed me. As for comfort the size of some of them isn't for everyone, they can be big but if you have big hands or long fingers they work great. As for getting crap for having one, bring it on, at least if I ever run out of ammo I can still beat someone with it and not worry about breaking it.
I saw their vids too and I laughed cause he really wanted it to fail and to hate the gun, but no matter what he did to it, it just kept going. In fairness they do also have new models that are more customizable and look better than the base models.

Maybe a Glock 21? Check the prices on .45 ammo because unless you love the caliber or have a stock of unused .45 ammo is expensive! I personally don't want a gun that I cannot get ammo for.
Just Snagged 500rds for $231 after tax/shipping. Now to snag the 45...
Not sure if that a GOOD price but it's 500 and no more time spent looking :)

I'm seeing likely candidate for $500 or less..

As I said, I'm new ;)

Online auctions from Gunbroker are legit. I can't speak to other gun auction sites.

Also, look at Kentucky Gun Co. I've bought a few guns from them before and so have a few friends. They are legit.

In the sub-$500 price range, you're looking at Rock Island 1911 style handguns or other imports in that style if you want something new.

Around $500-$600, you can get a Glock, Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 or something similar with higher capacity than a 1911 in that range.

If you don't mind a used gun, you may want to consider a used M&P or Springfield XD style model… used, you might find one of those for under $500

Edit: Easter special for your standard 1911 style handgun here

I wouldn't recommend a 1911 for a new shooter or anything carried "cocked and locked" for that matter. I would strongly urge you to go the 9mm striker fired route, but if you must have .45 I'd recommend a Glock 21. If you're able to find a good deal on an HK USP45 or HK45 those are great too but you will have to get used to the DA/SA trigger. Having an identical trigger pull every shot makes training much easier.

I wouldn't recommend a 1911 for a new shooter or anything carried "cocked and locked" for that matter. I would strongly urge you to go the 9mm striker fired route, but if you must have .45 I'd recommend a Glock 21. If you're able to find a good deal on an HK USP45 or HK45 those are great too but you will have to get used to the DA/SA trigger. Having an identical trigger pull every shot makes training much easier.
I can conceive that possibly I'm too inexperienced to be worried by different triggers...?
Fired 20 different guns during a shooting day last year and honestly felt ok with all of them and had accurate shots.

I think the 9mm P320 xcarry will be the carry.
I still need to get a class lined up etc for the 3 state permit?

I'm seeing the Rock Island 1911''s going new for $475. That's in my range. I'm fine with used. I just need to look around and see what's avail.

I have the 500rd of .45 on the way so now I'm morally obligated as an American to buy a 1911.
I wish I knew if my Great Grandfather used one in WW1.

I can conceive that possibly I'm too inexperienced to be worried by different triggers...?
Fired 20 different guns during a shooting day last year and honestly felt ok with all of them and had accurate shots.

I think the 9mm P320 xcarry will be the carry.
I still need to get a class lined up etc for the 3 state permit?

I'm seeing the Rock Island 1911''s going new for $475. That's in my range. I'm fine with used. I just need to look around and see what's avail.

I have the 500rd of .45 on the way so now I'm morally obligated as an American to buy a 1911.
I wish I knew if my Great Grandfather used one in WW1.
I had a Rock Island 1911, the thing ran like a champ and it was well put together. Regarding trigger, a DA/SA will have a very long and stiff first pull and short crisp subsequent pulls which is off-putting at first and requires additional practice.

I have nothing against the 1911, they're my favorite range handgun and the triggers are superb. I don't trust cocked and locked for concealed carry is all. You can't go wrong these days, lots of great choices. I'd personally look for a used Kimber or perhaps the new Springfield 1911s. Remember not to excessively dry fire a 1911 if you end up getting one. Good luck!

It's a little late now since you've already purchased 500 rounds of 45 ACP, but there are 9mm handguns in the 1911 style/frame out there. Several reputed manufacturers make them. Rock Island has a few too.

That way, you can deal with just one caliber. Not that there's anything wrong with having two, I was just not sure if you were aware of that. If you do decide to go that route, you can always sell the ammo and stick with 9mm. Or not... but it's an option.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.