JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Norma Pickett - I was just in:
Southwest Washington Surplus, 10411 Northeast Fourth Plain Boulevard #108, Vancouver, WA 98682
They offer such courses. I was helping a FTF deal, so I can't speak to their classes. But they were helpful in the shop.

Also look below in the Supporting Vendor Forums.

And run a search on all of NWFA.

I also recommend you do your own self paced training, many materials are on-line - reading and or videos. These can help you prepare for the course, help you get any questions ready for the instructor. The legal training requirements are minimal.

I recommend Mas Ayoob Books / DVDs:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...856?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Ayoob

And welcome to NWFA!

Last Edited:
No need for a class to get your WA license.

Here is a link to the Hood River Sheriffs department that has a link to a class- might be closer then driving to Portland.

1) Multnomah County Sherriff's office on corner of SE 122nd & Glisan is
the only place in Oregon where out-of-state people can apply for an
Oregon CHL.

2) Keith's Sporting Goods in Gresham has classes, $47 each last time I saw.

3) I kind-of cheated: as a security officer I got training thru Richard Gray
nwsecuritytraining@hotmail. At the Sherriff's office I just showed my Oregon PSID "Armed/Unarmed" card and they just took my photo; Oregon
PSST training is much better than other classes. Richard Gray submitted
his training class notes, now the new PSST training materials are a mirror
image of his. BUT this does cost about $250 or so and is about 8 hours. :oops:

4) Of course, you can never have too much training and it's nice Oregon
State certifies the course and publishes the materials as their own. Nice
in case YOU HAVE TO USE IT! :eek:

LOL

No, as I understand it it's the only place for all of Oregon. Since MOST out-of-state applicants are from neighboring Washington that kind-of makes :oops: sense.

As a WA resident my son went to Keith's then Multnomah Sherriff for his Oregon CHL; when he moved to Washington county, Forest Grove, he updated his address and had to get a new Oregon CHL from Washington County, where he lived :rolleyes:.

Too bad the Sherriff's are still in the way, apparently playing a "turf" game, in Oregon instead of just having the Oregon State Police directly issuing the CHL's :confused: or at least be similar to Washington's way; although Oregon CHL's are much better in format and execution. ;)

Last Edited:
No, as I understand it it's the only place for all of Oregon. Since MOST out-of-state applicants are from neighboring Washington that kind-of makes :oops: sense.
you can apply at any county sherriff in Oregon. Its a 'may issue' license for neighboring out of state non-residents. Last I heard your better off not going to Multnomah County but that was a while ago...

you can apply at any county sherriff in Oregon. Its a 'may issue' license for neighboring out of state non-residents. Last I heard your better off not going to Multnomah County but that was a while ago...

I think this is true but when I called to get mine in Clackamas county they said I HAD to go thru multinoma county.

I'd heard some unhappiness about that county but it took 3 weeks till my appointment and another 3 to get my card in the mail. Everyone was pleasant and it was quick.

Only strange thing is they were blown away by my showing up 15 min early for my appointment as if no one had ever shown up on time...

I think this is true but when I called to get mine in Clackamas county they said I HAD to go thru multinoma county.

not all county sheriffs will isse to non residents, I always heard Clackamas was pro gun but maybe they worked out a deal with Multnomah Co. because most people have read to avoid them....

Im curious what you wrote down for your "reason" and if they questioned you about that?

Im curious what you wrote down for your "reason" and if they questioned you about that?

I am sure it was close to:

I have my CHL in WA and live close to the OR border and would like to be able to take my concealed firearm with me legally as I often have to cross the border into OR.

I kept it simple and was never asked any questions, they just wanted my finger prints and a photo. And cash of course;)

Let me clear up some things here. I'm the former owner of SW WA Surplus, we're now closed as a retail location. Now I am Senior Training Consultant for NW Training Concepts.

According to Oregon State law, any resident of a contiguously bordering state may get an Oregon Concealed permit from any Sheriff in Oregon. However, while Oregon is "Shall issue" for residents, it is "May issue" for non-residents. So some Sheriffs won't issue- including Clackamas Co Sheriff. The process also requires a letter of justification why a non-resident is applying.

I generally send my Washington resident students to Multnomah, Columbia, or Washington Co. These county Sheriffs like to see why you are applying in THEIR county- generally a business justification such as working in their county, travelling in their county on your way to work, visiting relatives who live in their county, etc. Something that will reflect positively on their decision to issue a permit to you, to the residents of their county.

If you have a DD214 that specifically lists a model of handgun you qualified on, you can use that to satisfy the training requirement for Oregon. If it just lists "small arms" that won't work.

If you have ever held an Oregon CHL in the past, the training requirement is considered satisfied.

Oregon and Washington don't reciprocate. In fact, Oregon doesn't recognize ANY other state's CHL. So if you want to carry in Oregon, you have to live in Oregon, or a state that touches Oregon, and you have to get an Oregon permit.

Wider recognition is given to the Utah permit. As of right now, 31 states (non-resident permit holder) and 34 states (Utah resident). If you are an Oregon resident, just get Oregon and Utah, because WA will recognize your UT permit. If you're a WA resident, you need to get all 3. Generally, non-resident permits require you to have a permit before they will issue to you as a non-resident. UT is strict about this. Oregon doesn't have this requirement in the Statues, but most of the Sheriffs require it.

I teach both Oregon and Utah classes. In fact, I have one coming up on Saturday Feb 16th 2016, in Vancouver, 9 am at the American Legion Smith-Reynolds Post 14, 4607 NE St James Rd. It will last about 6 hours, and includes your fingerprint cards and passport style photo for applying to get your Utah permit for $89. If you just want Oregon, it's $40 and will be only the firs ~2.5 hours. These prices are for your training: application fees are a matter for you and the respective states.

Washington does not have a training requirement, just a clean background check. Go apply ASAP.

facebook.com/NWTrainingConcepts/events
http://First.Training
[email protected]

For WA county, if you have EVER had a CHL issued they them at least, no matter how long it has been expired, they will consider it a renewal. So you save some money and don't need to take the class again. Not sure if they apply the same criteria for expired permits issued from other counties.

I had let my permit expire 15yrs+ ago and reapplied as a non-resident. They just wanted to know what my compelling reason was, (family, work and their addresses) and that was that. Permit renewal issued.

For WA county, if you have EVER had a CHL issued they them at least, no matter how long it has been expired, they will consider it a renewal. So you save some money and don't need to take the class again. Not sure if they apply the same criteria for expired permits issued from other counties.

I had let my permit expire 15yrs+ ago and reapplied as a non-resident. They just wanted to know what my compelling reason was, (family, work and their addresses) and that was that. Permit renewal issued.

So Washington County is simply following the law there. The ORS is explicit that ever having held an Oregon State CHL will be considered proof of having been trained.

ORS 166.291(1)(f)(F)

Sporting Systems
408 W 9th St, Vancouver, WA 98660
(360) 977-3808
Oregon, Utah, Arizona all in one class.

They were charging $75 when they first opened, I believe that went up to $100.00, call and check first.

Safe Fire is holding CCW classes in Camas. Patriot Carry will be holding Vancouver classes beginning the last week of March and will be using SIRT pistols and the LASR system (think educational and interactive and hands on).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top