JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, we have had our Thanksgiving turkeys, deep fried, smoked, roasted, baked, and every other way imaginable. What about the Christmas dinner? Another turkey perhaps, or maybe freshly bagged venison or elk, the stately goose, a Tur Duc Ken, a salmon? Whats on the menu?

I left out ham on purpose... because since I started the thread I get the easy one.:D

This is an easy way to put your signature on a Holiday favorite. The bone and trimmings make for a great black-eyed peas dish, a southern New Years must have for good luck on Jan. 1. I have a drop dead easy one, stay tuned!

It is important that the ham you choose is a bone in variety. We will go with what you can get at your local store. A fresh leg of pork takes some expertise and isn't what this particular post is all about, pm me if you want more info on fresh hams you can make.

***Now that we have chosen a "store bought" ham let's get started.

Take your ham and place it in a big enough container so you can add at least 2 gallons of water along with the ham.
Make sure your container is clean and sterile and will not leach whatever it is made of back into the meat. If you are not sure...STOP here and just put it in the oven and cook as per package directions.

Add the water and soak in a cool place for 10 to 12 hrs. We are trying to remove some of the salt.

Remove the meat, rinse and pat dry.

Prepare your smoker and let temp get to at least 250, add the ham. Try and maintain this temp. Add your favorite wood and smoke/cook until the meat registers 165 degrees internal**. Too much smoke will make a bitter ham, so 2 hours (light smoke) max is what I do to mine. When checking temp, make sure you are temping meat, not fat or bone.

Temp meat before you put it in your cooker...record it. In 1.5 hrs. temp it again to see where you are. When you get to about 150 degrees internal baste with a glaze of your choice. One of mine follows. (remember pure sugar burns at 225)

When you hit your temp remove and let rest, tented with foil for at least 30 minutes. Add glaze 15 minutes into rest period.

Cherry glaze

1 jar NO sugar cherry preserves (I like Smuckers)
1 oz. dark rum
1 tablespoon. orange zest
1/4 teaspoon ground clove

Heat preserves until just under a boil and add rest of ingredients and reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.

Save remainder of glaze to pass around with ham slices.

** this temp is what your store bought ham was cooked to and only has to be re heated to 165 to be safe to eat,

*** When checking hams remember that the fatty portion is quite a bit softer than the meat itself. Squeeze the ham to determine the fat to meat ratio. For some reason this part of shopping for hams always brings me back to my high school days and dark movie theaters...but again I digress.:)

Rick,
That sounds fantastic. I will have to keep this and try it at a later time.

I am also doing ham for Christmas. Two of em. One for the gang at work and one for family. I agree with buying a bone in ham, but I deep fry them. 3.5 min per pound at 350 degrees. They look like Hell when you pull them out of the pot. A turkey will come out golden brown, but a ham comes out looking like a black dog turd. Once you cut into it, however, it's the juiciest ham you've ever had.

I will try some of your glaze to go with it. It sounds very tasty.

WE have a nice 4 bone Prime Rib in the freezer. going to pull it out two days before and defrost it in the fridge. Then I am going to hang it in the Little Chief Smoker and burn three or four pans of apple chips under it. Once that is done (takes a couple hours) I will pull it the wife will rub it down with her spices and make it ready to finish off in the oven in a roasting pan.

Should easily serve the 3 guys and 2 wifes at dinner. The grand daughters won't eat hardly anything being 5 and 6 and sure won't eat Prime Rib. Going to serve with a choice of horse radish or sweet hot mustard And I'm sure the wife will make up some Au Jas.

Big bowl of masked tators couple different vegies and a nice salad. Pie for desert.

WE have a nice 4 bone Prime Rib in the freezer. going to pull it out two days before and defrost it in the fridge. Then I am going to hang it in the Little Chief Smoker and burn three or four pans of apple chips under it. Once that is done (takes a couple hours) I will pull it the wife will rub it down with her spices and make it ready to finish off in the oven in a roasting pan.

Should easily serve the 3 guys and 2 wifes at dinner. The grand daughters won't eat hardly anything being 5 and 6 and sure won't eat Prime Rib. Going to serve with a choice of horse radish or sweet hot mustard And I'm sure the wife will make up some Au Jas.

Big bowl of masked tators couple different vegies and a nice salad. Pie for desert.

what kind of pie?? what is address and what time is dinner?/ can you handle 2 more??

Wife says Pumpkin and Apple Vanilla Ice Cream or Cool Whip

And she's sorry but the table barely holds the family.

Video will be available on You Tube

The whole family comes over to our house on Christmas eve to open presents and for my famous homemade chili and pizza.

Wife and I have been having fresh halibut for Xmas dinner for a few years now. Now that all of the kids are gone, we're thinking about serving at a homeless shelter on Christmas day.

I can relate to kids grown and scattered all over the U.S. and a subdued dinner with just the two of you. Been there, done that...and got the T shirt.

Upside? One can splurge and make a very special meal for a very special day...and send lots of pics to the kids captioned with "wish you were here." :s0114:

Some King crab and filets for 2 with black butter. I used cast iron to flash cook the steaks at 700 degrees.:s0155:

I preheated the pans for 20 minutes before putting the steaks in one of the pans and placed the other one on top of the meat...both sides cooked at once and for less than 5 minutes for a nice rare steak. The crab was thawed and warmed in the front of the oven rotating as needed to get them hot but not dried out...about 10 minutes total.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top