JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a 12ga pardner single shot H&R. It worked great at first, but now I seem to get light primer strikes every third shell or so. Makes me think there's something worn out, but I have no experience with these. Anyone else had similar issues?

I know I'm reviving an older thread- What ammo did you have this problem with? two weeks ago I picked up some Estate target and game from Bob's in Longview for my NEF 12 gauge and had a similar problem. Every third or so shell wouldn't detonate. The primer appeared to have an equally deep punch as shells that did fire. I called Remington and they told me that specific ammo has a deeper, recessed primer and that it wasn't the first time they'd heard that ammo giving a NEF shotgun problems.

I haven't found this problem to occur with any other ammo. I've shot Estate Super sport, Remington game loads, kent steel, federal target loads and no light strikes.

Put in either a new hammer spring or a heavy duty hammer spring.... $6.00 from gunsprings.com

Sometimes springs only last a couple years!

And yes, I have seen it allot in the H&R's!

Don't overlook the firing pin spring. If it's weak or gummed up, it won't return the firing pin so the hammer can get a full "whack" on it. Be sure and clean the firing pin channel as well. Any goop or gunk that's accumulated there will slow the pin and can be a cause of light strikes.

Don't overlook the role of the "small stuff" when you have a malfunction.

I took it apart and it was pretty clean. The firing pin had a very slight chamfer on the round tip, not sure if that's causing any of the issues. I think I'll pick up a new hammer spring and firing pin and spring if I can find them. Anyone know where I can buy the firing pin and spring?

As far as ammo goes, I was using wolf buck shot, Remington and federal bird shot, all with similar issues. I have a second h&r that I'll try some side by side comparisons, both in firing and inspecting of the individual components to see if there are any differences.

Thanks for the input guys

Something else that came to mind, check the rim thickness on both unfired and fired shotshells from this gun. Some break actions will develop some looseness at the breech that will manifest itself in the form of a thick rim on the fired shell. This happens when the pressure causes the breech to separate from the end of the chamber when fired. Given time and the rim will actually split when fired, giving a side blast much like that from a revolver.

Check the locking mechanism for the action. When unloaded, see if there is any excessive gap between barrel/chamber and breech face. I saw this happen on some old "Clayco" imports years ago and had forgotten when I offered the firing pin/spring tip.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top