JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Registration or background check?

Background checks. The bill specifically forbids using it to create a national firearm registry.

SEC. 5. Rule of construction.

Nothing in this Act, or any amendment made by this Act, shall be construed to—

(1) authorize the establishment, directly or indirectly, of a national firearms registry;

https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/hr8/BILLS-116hr8rh.xml

No companion bill will get through the US Senate as long as the Republicans have at least 45 seats (to allow for some defections) so this is not going to become law at this time.

Like the Republican House (back when they controlled the House) passing multiple bills repealing Obamacare that they knew were not going to pass in the Senate to appeal to their base, this is political posturing to appeal to the pro-gun control Democratic base.

It's bipartisan.

As long as they can get one or two RINOs to co-sponsor a bill they will call it "bipartisan" to make it look nicer. I didn't go through the dozens of co-sponsors of the bill but I'm sure >90% of them are Democrats.

EDIT: Co-sponsors:
227 Democrats (98% of co-sponsors) including all 4 Democrats from Oregon and all 7 Democrats from Washington
5 Republicans (2% of co-sponsors)

so the % that are Democrats was even higher than I thought.

Last Edited:
That's exactly what I said to myself just before scrolling down and reading your post.

"Great minds........" or at least "Reasonably able to process logical thoughts...minds". Huh, doesn't quite roll off the tongue the same way as the first one.

The way I look at it is we already have a registry with the 4473. They just seem to skirt around it by saying we aren't in possession of the sale of that firearm the FFL is...
I once asked my previous employer if we could shred 4473's that were past the required hold date and I was informed we would not be getting rid of any of them regardless. I'd like to see the 4473 go away altogether but that seems like a pipe dream...

The way I look at it is we already have a registry with the 4473. They just seem to skirt around it by saying we aren't in possession of the sale of that firearm the FFL is...
I once asked my previous employer if we could shred 4473's that were past the required hold date and I was informed we would not be getting rid of any of them regardless. I'd like to see the 4473 go away altogether but that seems like a pipe dream...

Agreed. The 4473 has always seemed like defacto registration. I've never believed at any moment for any length of time that information the government receives is not retained even when "it isn't"

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top