JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The H&R Model 760 single shot rifle had an unusual blowback auto eject design with closed bolt. It was supposedly only made for a couple of years because the BATF was putting pressure on H&R not to produce them. Does that story sound likely or is it just internet myth?

If that story is true, do you think that would make the rifle easier or more difficult to sell, if that info was shared with potential buyers?

Back in the day....
H&R made nice quality "working man" firearms.
The 760 was neat design...but really a niche type of design and rifle.
I would guess that it was difficult to sell because of that...and not so much ATF shenanigans.

For the record here I ain't defending the ATF...
I think that Alcohol , Tobacco and Firearms would make for a fine one stop shopping store....:D
However as government agency , they leave a lot to be desired.
Andy

Here is a video showing operation of action. I believe the 755 rifle and 760 rifle shared the same action but had different furniture. I believe a rubber bumper was providing the bolt return when he was using full power ammo.

Why would a single shot rimfire rifle catch the ATFs attention?
Good question, it may be internet rumor:

The H&R Model 760 was a Auto-Eject Single Shot that fired from a closed bolt. The auto-eject is a blowback operated and the bolt handle can be turned to tighten or loosen pressure against a captive detent ball on the side of the bolt opposite the handle that presumably regulates the tension of the bolts sliding movement allowing use of 22 short, long or long rifle ammo. The blowback action also cocks the striker / hammer for the next shot. It was discontinued because of pressure from the BATF the only thing needed to turn this model into a machine gun was the addition of a magazine and a bolt return spring.

Rumor is that ATF said it would be too easy to add a magazine and turn it into a machine gun.

But a semi-auto repeater is OK?

Bruce

Hmmm...the addition of a magazine...and a bolt return spring.
Not saying it couldn't be done.
However...
I am saying that it would require some knowledge , skill and work....so not very likely to have been done.

And with that said...since @arakboss loves to tinker with firearms.....
Just kidding here , don't do it....:D
Andy

Hmmm...the addition of a magazine...and a bolt return spring.
Not saying it couldn't be done.
However...
I am saying that it would require some knowledge , skill and work....so not very likely to have been done.

And with that said...since @arakboss loves to tinker with firearms.....
Just kidding here , don't do it....:D
Andy
I won't but I bet @wired could get'r'done if it was legal.

I don't get it. Much easier designs out there. IE the open bolt semi autos that exist, rare but they exist. A 10/22 is also incredibly easy to turn into "pound you in the bum, federal prison style" too.

Good question, it may be internet rumor:

The H&R Model 760 was an Auto-Eject Single Shot that fired from a closed bolt. The auto-eject is a blowback operated and the bolt handle can be turned to tighten or loosen pressure against a captive detent ball on the side of the bolt opposite the handle that presumably regulates the tension of the bolts sliding movement allowing use of 22 short, long or long rifle ammo. The blowback action also cocks the striker / hammer for the next shot. It was discontinued because of pressure from the BATF the only thing needed to turn this model into a machine gun was the addition of a magazine and a bolt return spring.
Good info, interesting.

Much less auto then the 1958-61Winchester model 55 Semi Auto single shot.

With that rifle which fired from an open bolt.

1 you pulled down the charging handle which was a little slide lever up on the forestock parallel to the barrel.

the round loaded through a top mounted loading ramp. When the ramp was depressed it activated the safety
to fire you then pushed the safety off and pulled the trigger this then caused the bolt to come forward and fire the cartridge the bolt then retracted and the casing ejected out the bottom (usually into the palm of any first time model 55 shooter). And the cycle repeated with no need to touch the charging handle again until the rifle is dry fired. Dad had one its was the first rifle I hunted with (squirrels) no idea where or who it went to but I found one some time back and its one of my favorite .22's very accurate.

Oh as to why it was so short lived it was a very expensive rifle for a single shot costing as much in the 1958 catalog as many of Winchesters repeaters.

I once owned a semi auto magazine fed Marlin model 50 that fired from an open bolt.
It was a nifty .22 rifle and supposedly with a little modification could be turned into full auto.
Why anyone would choose to do this with a magazine capacity of only 6 rds is beyond me.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top