JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I can't seem to shake the HK USC / UMP bug! It's the one gun that I've lusted for - and not bought!

Last year I got the fever, found one at a show and was kind of... unimpressed for the price. It was a regular USC and not a conversion - so I was looking at a few more $$$ to make it right. I ended up not buying it that day. I haven't seen one in person since!

So I've been cruising gunbroker for a deal - and still can't seem to pull the trigger for a high priced .45 carbine! I think I'm comparing it to an AR and the fact that an AR can do everything the USC can do - and then some. (OR am I mistaken here?)

So talk me into or out of a USC / Ump conversion! What's great? What's not so great?

I had one and really dug it! Though what i didnt like was the price tag and availability of parts to do the UMP conversion. At that time (2 years ago) the supply of UMP had dried up some and what was left was available at rediculous prices. Note that if you pick up the gray USC, you can dye the plastic black to match most production and aftermarkey UMP parts. A google search should yield the proper recipe and steps to do that.

I picked up a place, more like a campsite, over near you - at three rivers rec area - across the lake... we've got our own private shooting range!

I'm fishing for a USC right now!

I had one and did the UMP/Grease Gun mag set up. Was cool and fun but hardly ever shot it. I end up getting an offer for it that was well more then I had into it so I let it go.

They do make some .45 AR's and they are very cool due to the lower price and more common parts. But again the UMP has the being "rare" cool factor.

I picked up a place, more like a campsite, over near you - at three rivers rec area - across the lake... we've got our own private shooting range!

I'm fishing for a USC right now!

Sweet. I used to have a customer with a place there, from the pictures it looks like a very cool place.

Unfortunately we'll probably be moving back this summer. Daughter just can't handle being away from Camas, and I can't handle being away from my kids.

Picked up a 10-round USC magazine a few years ago with the intention of that being some "motivation" to later get the gun and eventually a tax-stamp and UMP conversion. The magazine still sits here... all alone.

I would absolutely love to have a nice 45ACP carbean, but the options as I see them for a fairly good quality piece are few. My thinking was this, a KRISS Vector (played with em and hated it), a USC to UMP (very expensive), a Marlin Camp Carbine (not the highest quality - kinda makes it a turn-off) or a Kahr M1A1 (not the best track record in the reliability area). Thinking I'd like to be able to suppress it one day, so the M1A1 is pretty much out. Don't care for the Marlin or KRISS, so that leaves only the HK. Figuring about $4000 to complete the project though (SBRed, but without suppressor). That's a lot of money! More than I want to spend on any one gun anyway. But that's just me; I'm kind cheap. Love the pistol-caliber carbines, but I'm just not seeing a path for myself here in getting one let alone an HK. Might still go the Kahr routs as I would love to have a 45ACP carbine (SMG clone), do like the WWII era weapons and the Kahr is "affordable."

Thinking y'all just helped me talk myself out of an HK.

Anyone need a USC mag?

For the pistol caliber carbine, I like the PS90. 100% reliable, unlike the Kriss. Only complaint like everyone else is ammo cost and availability. Plus long wait to get SBR'd/threaded.

On the 'cheap' I have a Universal M1 30 cal carbine in a synthetic folding stock with a Burris pistol scope. The scope is way forward, but with the long eye relief it works great. Very light, accurate carbine. Easy to shoot for a beginner. If it ever doesn't cycle right (steel/cheap ammo), just a flick of your hand does the trick vs what you have to go through with an AR. My only complaint is that I got it threaded at TT for my Mystic and the blowback is insane. My poor eyes lol. I don't know what I was thinking - I mean your face is right in line with the chamber wide open like 'here you go pal, suck this up.'

Going to try one of those leather blowback shields, but for now googles or very tight shooting glasses are required when running suppressed.

If you don't care about suppressors, the M1 carbine can really be made into a nice handy setup.

LOVE the little PS90... probably more than the USP/UMP, but not diggin the idea of another caliber like that. Was also thinking on the M1A1 I could shoot home cast bullets through it, a big plus for me.

On the suppressed M1 Carbine, thats what happens with those guns. My first experience like that was a suppressed M14... bolt is right on top, gun had a Smith Enterprise modified gas cylinder (normal and "low" instead of normal and "off") so you could shoot it in semi-auto with the suppressor attached and man what a face-full of gas that is. Those guns were never intended to be suppressed and we now know why ;) I'll be a little suppressed M1 Carbine is a lot of fun though. On the subject, have been getting an itch for a new Ruger bolt action 357.

I love the look and capacity of the PS90 but not the ammo power or reloadability of said ammo.

I like the USC even in stock form but expensive 10 round mags aren't my style. Converted is $$$

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top