JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"
DAYTON, Ohio (AP) — A friend of the Dayton gunman who killed nine people told federal agents he bought him body armor, a gun accessory and a 100-round magazine earlier this year, according to a court document unsealed Monday.
The charging document says Ethan Kollie bought the items for Connor Betts and kept them at his apartment so his friend's parents would not find them.
Prosecutors on Monday unsealed a charge against Kollie that accused him of lying about not using marijuana on federal firearms forms in the purchase of a pistol that was not used in the shooting."

So not charged with buying Body Armor, but as result of investigating the shooter his friend got caught with the fact that he used marijuana and di not report that on a recent pistol purchase. As most know the ATF released a new form 4473 a couple of years ago that explicitly states marijuana where it asks about illegal drugs. I realize someone will say ' But it is legal in Washington and Oregon and many other places. But FEDERAL rules just say NO to Marijuana and Cocaine, Heroin, and Meth along with others. So that is a No-No.

Not a user so I'm not very concerned for me, but it does show that what a person considered a innocent action was a cause to bring scrutiny on his other recent actions. He will pay a price for this.

"
DAYTON, Ohio (AP) — A friend of the Dayton gunman who killed nine people told federal agents he bought him body armor, a gun accessory and a 100-round magazine earlier this year, according to a court document unsealed Monday.
The charging document says Ethan Kollie bought the items for Connor Betts and kept them at his apartment so his friend's parents would not find them.
Prosecutors on Monday unsealed a charge against Kollie that accused him of lying about not using marijuana on federal firearms forms in the purchase of a pistol that was not used in the shooting."

So not charged with buying Body Armor, but as result of investigating the shooter his friend got caught with the fact that he used marijuana and di not report that on a recent pistol purchase. As most know the ATF released a new form 4473 a couple of years ago that explicitly states marijuana where it asks about illegal drugs. I realize someone will say ' But it is legal in Washington and Oregon and many other places. But FEDERAL rules just say NO to Marijuana and Cocaine, Heroin, and Meth along with others. So that is a No-No.

Not a user so I'm not very concerned for me, but it does show that what a person considered a innocent action was a cause to bring scrutiny on his other recent actions. He will pay a price for this.

""Show me the man, and I'll show you the crime.""

- Lavrentiy Beria, head of Joseph Stalin's secret police

He should pay a price for this. You can't assist in purchasing and concealing the implements used by a mass shooter in the commission of their crime without some heavy consequences.

Dayton, OH must be the safest city on earth if the cops and courts have time for this kind of thing.

Hey, Dayton... what's your clearance rate on homicide cases? In Chicago it's less than 20% (better than 80% chance of getting away w murder. Why not go bangin' on fools?) Do us all a favor and share your wisdom with them. Also Baltimore, St Louis, LA, and Washington DC... they are solely responsible for the US' (seemingly) high homicide rates.

He should pay a price for this. You can't assist in purchasing and concealing the implements used by a mass shooter in the commission of their crime without some heavy consequences.

He did nothing illegal in regards to this case and he probably didn't know his idiot friend was going to go whacko and kill his own sister.

How many if us have sold parts to "far right extremist milita members"

I have bought gear and parts on here, and I am sure considered pretty far right.

He did nothing illegal in regards to this case and he probably didn't know his idiot friend was going to go whacko and kill his own sister.

How many if us have sold parts to "far right extremist milita members"

I have bought gear and parts on here, and I am sure considered pretty far right.
How many of us have bought and concealed gear and parts on someone's behalf? Anyone?

How many of us have lied on a 4473? Anyone?

Stop trying to defend the indefensible. Maybe there's a reason his parents wouldn't let him buy body armor and drum mags, because it would have thrown up a red flag or two.

How many of us have bought and concealed gear and parts on someone's behalf? Anyone?

How many of us have lied on a 4473? Anyone?

Stop trying to defend the indefensible. Maybe there's a reason his parents wouldn't let him buy body armor and drum mags, because it would have thrown up a red flag or two.

So, here is a hypothetical. My buddy bought a $750 espresso machine and his wife was PISSED.

What if he had asked to stash it at my place to convince his wife it was gone? What if he then used it to purposely make a batch of espresso that gave everyone at an Antifa meeting the runs and one of them died because of it.

Am I responsible for the death of the Antifa guy and the poisoning of the rest?

So, here is a hypothetical. My buddy bought a $750 espresso machine and his wife was PISSED.

What if he had asked to stash it at my place to convince his wife it was gone? What if he then used it to purposely make a batch of espresso that gave everyone at an Antifa meeting the runs and one of them died because of it.

Everything in life is a risk. I'd risk buying an espresso maker and stashing it for a friend. I would never risk buying anything firearm related or stashing that for a friend.

You make your own informed decisions and live with the consequences. Ethan Kollie is figuring that out the hard way.

Everything in life is a risk. I'd risk buying an espresso maker and stashing it for a friend. I would never risk buying anything firearm related or stashing that for a friend.

You make your own informed decisions and live with the consequences.

There were no consequences for those behaviors. But to prove a point, the roach he probably left in plain sight turned into a charge. Just to make sure someone got punished.

He merely hid them from the shooters parents, which is not against the law. They are legal items.

The crime was his fraud committed on a Form 4473, buying a pistol for himself.

You're right, it's not against the law to buy body armor and drum mags for a mentally unstable teenager and help him conceal the items from his parents.

Incredibly stupid? Yes. But illegal? Nope.

I'm glad karma still got him in the end.

Hell yes!!

According to some.

I understand why the investigators wanted to find out where all the pieces came from and how they fit together, I do think it likely that they found drugs (Marijuana) at Ethan's place, found firearms and tracked them down, found the 4473's and slapped this charge on him as they could not hit him with any other charge.

There are a couple of points that are present but camouflaged a bit

One, You don't know what will cause your recent history (or entire history I suppose) to come under intense scrutiny

Two, Federal forms are powerful documents and lying on them could result powerful punishment. (I suspect this case to prove that.)

Three, Marijuana is not legal in any state according to the FEDERAL government, many don't seem to realize that.

I don't think it is ethical to hide something , other than a gift, for someone else. Not a crime maybe, but not ethical

He wasn't busted for or charged w any of that.
He was charged with lying about marijuana use on a 4473 when buying an unrelated (to the mass murder) pistol.
My brother has been a heavy pot smoker most all his life including addictions to various other drugs. He has bought firearms many times by lying on the 4473.

Looks like it was for more than just pot..........

CNN said:
During that interview, Kollie told agents he had done hard drugs, marijuana and LSD with Betts several times a week between 2014 and 2015, the affidavit says.
He also told agents that he had smoked marijuana every day for the past decade, according to the affidavit.
-snip-
He also told the agents that he grew psychedelic mushrooms at his home and explained the process to them, according to the affidavit.
"Kollie stated that he micro-doses the mushrooms on a constant basis, saying it provides him with energy and is 'fun,'" the affidavit says.
Asked why he lied on the federal firearms form, Kollie allegedly told agents that "if he told the truth about his drug use, he would not be allowed to purchase a firearm."

Ray

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top