JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is my first post ever and I'm new to the firearms world. However I did get a marksman medal in 1980.

What got me really concerned is when Obama attempted to over ride 2nd Amendment. I went out and bought 2 PSA AR/M4 kits and 2 80% lowers one for me and one for my son. I liked it so much that I bought 2 AK 74 kits and am almost done with those. It has really sparked my interest to learn gunsmithing.

So, for the rest of the story. I retired 20 yr USAF in 96 used all my GI Bill and one year VOC Rehab in computers. I started at 40% disability and in June they bumped me up to 70%. Will the VA give me more educational benefits for the higher disability, to learn gunsmithing. I know I could call and call and wait an hour to get my answer. So, maybe someone here already knows the answer and can save me the time. Someone had already posted on the subject and encouraged others to inquire. Thank You

First off, thank you for your service! Secondly, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are stuck in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, not very gun friendly place right now. I don't know the answer to your question but there is a smart bunch of guys on this forum so you might luck out. Gary

The answer is Yes the VA will if it is an accredited school. Lassen has a gunsmithing program. Your next step is to contact the VA at this website to get started:
<broken link removed>

Good luck becuase gunsmithing is a hard career path.

Welcome to NWFA! I do not have the answer to your question. I am retired Army, also 70 service connected disability. My question to you is how to begin using VA voc rehab at all? I tried once and didnt even make it to the intake appointment before communication between the VA and myself failed. ( typical VA problem for me ) several years have gone by and Id like to try again but I have no idea where to even begin. If you know, shoot me a PM. Thanks in advance and again welcome to the board.

First off, thank you for your service. Second - don't take this as trying to convince you not to go into gunsmithing - I will tell you that getting your FFL is not a ticket to endless profits. On average a gun shop will only make about 5% on each new gun sold. There are some parts of the refinish/repair market that do make money, though you will more than likely have to put work into it. A friend got rid of his FFL and went into the world of selling "dreams" back in the day. Now days its common for people to build their own AK - back then there were probably fewer than 30 guys in the country that knew how to properly build an AK in the states. He was buying parts kits and doing the work to the parts to make them into pistol kits and selling them with an 80% receiver at shows - he was getting about 80% of the money for a completed gun and no FFL so less book keeping and no ATF supervision. Now it seems that 1/4 of the gun guys know how to build an AK and I'm guessing many of those kits finally got built up thanks to the amount of info on the internet. I wish you luck if you choose to pursue the gunsmith training.

btw - what part of CA are you stuck in? and welcome to the board

Swede

There is a very good humanity school in Klamath Falls.
Look up the PVA on line. They have as bunch of good stuff for vets. They can even get you a tank wheelchair!

First off, thank you for your service. Second - don't take this as trying to convince you not to go into gunsmithing - I will tell you that getting your FFL is not a ticket to endless profits. On average a gun shop will only make about 5% on each new gun sold. There are some parts of the refinish/repair market that do make money, though you will more than likely have to put work into it. A friend got rid of his FFL and went into the world of selling "dreams" back in the day. Now days its common for people to build their own AK - back then there were probably fewer than 30 guys in the country that knew how to properly build an AK in the states. He was buying parts kits and doing the work to the parts to make them into pistol kits and selling them with an 80% receiver at shows - he was getting about 80% of the money for a completed gun and no FFL so less book keeping and no ATF supervision. Now it seems that 1/4 of the gun guys know how to build an AK and I'm guessing many of those kits finally got built up thanks to the amount of info on the internet. I wish you luck if you choose to pursue the gunsmith training.

btw - what part of CA are you stuck in? and welcome to the board

Swede

I live in Rosamond CA, Next to Edwards AFB. However, on the 10th of Dec I'm closing on a house in O'fallon MO. I'll be very happy their in retirement building ak's, ar's, ps43's and 1911. We got the parts and it is a lot of fun. however we are looking for a pps43 barrel shroud and slides for the 1911. Thank you for the information.

I live in Rosamond CA, Next to Edwards AFB. However, on the 10th of Dec I'm closing on a house in O'fallon MO. I'll be very happy their in retirement building ak's, ar's, ps43's and 1911. We got the parts and it is a lot of fun. however we are looking for a pps43 barrel shroud and slides for the 1911. Thank you for the information.

Call the DAV Disabled American Veterans. They like donations and they really follow up to make sure that you get whats coming to you. They assisted me and it really made a difference. Everyone I talked to has the same opinion and get results.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top